Author Topic: Well this will be an interesting ride....  (Read 6611 times)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
Re: Well this will be an interesting ride....
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2014, 04:24:38 PM »
Does this mean they will be able to decide if they can start paying players?

yes, i believe this brings stipends into play. it does not affect transfer rules, postseason tournaments and rules of the game (imagine that!), i don't think.

poor cincy and uconn, and rutgers is really goddamn lucky. louisville, too.

I'm surprised what I'm about to say isn't being talked about much.

A Tulsa paper and radio guy went to the AAC media day and their commish was telling everyone they will do everything they can to keep up.  The AAC won't have voting power, but autonomy is set up so that once something is passed every other conference has the choice to enact any part of the new rules they want.  They can enact parts/all of whatever new rules they want for their entire conference or allow schools to pick what additional benefits they want to offer on their own.  It will still suck for them from a budget stand point because it will cost them a lot while not having near the revenue stream of the power 5.

This is where it could move to the cigars thread, but I see infighting in both the MW and AAC with what to allow in their conferences.  I could schools like UConn, Cincy, Boise St., and Nevada pushing to allow more in their conferences than the likes of Tulsa, Utah St, ECU, and SJSU.  I wouldn't be surprised of the old Big East play of going national happens again where those conferences mutually agree to split and re-org as two separate conferences while playing minimal regional conference games and having scheduling agreements to pay 2-3 regional cross-conference games per year.

It's the refugee conference that I always thought could happen.

Grab the six strongest from the west and the six strongest from the East and figure it all out.

Honestly, my guess is that they somehow merge the MW and AAC.  That's their only hope.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2014, 04:26:06 PM »
Also...

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2014, 10:30:30 PM »
Should this be combined with cigars thread?  I have a feeling we will get there.
I don't think so.  :nono:  I tried a while back and the Mods moved it into a seperate thread.  :th_twocents:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2014, 10:42:20 PM »
Nobody seems to see the real benifits from these offerings the P-5 will or might do.  The arms race is over.  Like Synder says, we won't need to spend millions upon millions on amenities.  It's much cheaper to just pay these payers in benifits.  No payer worth their weight will even think about going to a university that doesn't offer what the P-5 will offer.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2014, 10:47:01 PM »
Nobody seems to see the real benifits from these offerings the P-5 will or might do.  The arms race is over.  Like Synder says, we won't need to spend millions upon millions on amenities.  It's much cheaper to just pay these payers in benifits.  No payer worth their weight will even think about going to a university that doesn't offer what the P-5 will offer.

So much this.  That's right folks, instead of picking a hat, now they'll just draw names out of one.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2014, 10:50:00 PM »

So much this.  That's right folks, instead of picking a hat, now they'll just draw names out of one.
Damn we're luckly to have Sprance around.  :grin:

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2014, 06:05:11 AM »
Okay so who in garden city do I sent the check to for 1700

We need to be proactive about this, everybody get your dicks(Amex card) out

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2014, 02:40:36 PM »
Okay so who in garden city do I sent the check to for 1700

We need to be proactive about this, everybody get your dicks(Amex card) out

I've seen enough tweets to convince me not to get my dick out around Dvonta.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2014, 02:47:21 PM »

Can you imagine how many god damn diamonds in the rough we are going to mine when the scholarship limit for football goes back to being well north of 100?
I am excited to get DITRs out of the Gulf states that will come for the extra $ and will also be more likely to stay  :popcorn:

From oaf's linked article:

Nor will the Power 5 be able to enact their own scholarship limits (i.e., going from 85 to 95 in football)

For now....

Autonomy within the confines of NCAA does not provide autonomy within the confines of the federal government and title IX.

Offline BRULL

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2014, 04:17:49 PM »
I haven't read all the posts and don't know much about all that was being voted on. But, can anyone tell me if this would give the BXII the opening to have a championship game without 12 members?

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2014, 04:34:11 PM »
I haven't read all the posts and don't know much about all that was being voted on. But, can anyone tell me if this would give the BXII the opening to have a championship game without 12 members?

No
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2014, 05:55:50 PM »

The NCAA wasn't preventing this, we could have petitioned to have one. The Big 12, intelligently and rightfully, doesn't want one.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2014, 02:40:44 PM »
So, one of the items that the P5 want is the ability to pay to send family members to games. 

If this works out like I hope it works, then we should be recruiting the rough ridin' crap out of the greater Dallas area.....direct flight to MHK, with a 10 minute drive to your hotel (which is situated where the Ernie Barrett statue currently stands).

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2014, 02:46:04 PM »
So, one of the items that the P5 want is the ability to pay to send family members to games. 

If this works out like I hope it works, then we should be recruiting the rough ridin' crap out of the greater Dallas area.....direct flight to MHK, with a 10 minute drive to your hotel (which is situated where the Ernie Barrett statue currently stands).

we can't afford to send family members to games pete

Offline BRULL

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2014, 02:49:48 PM »

The NCAA wasn't preventing this, we could have petitioned to have one. The Big 12, intelligently and rightfully, doesn't want one.

They kinda already have. http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jeremy-fowler/21508673/big-12-in-talks-with-ncaa-about-12-team-conference-rule

The reason I asked was due to having the option if needed in the new format. We all know the true champion slogan is BS and has already been proven. Intelligently, we should pursue the option. Rightfully, is just an opinion. Not saying we need it, but don't get stuck with 20/20 hindsight.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2014, 02:51:04 PM »

we can't afford to send family members to games pete

What makes you say that?  I see a budget excess that needs spending.  Plus, I am hopeful for exorbitant price increases for the best seats at football games.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2014, 02:52:02 PM »

They kinda already have. http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jeremy-fowler/21508673/big-12-in-talks-with-ncaa-about-12-team-conference-rule

The reason I asked was due to having the option if needed in the new format. We all know the true champion slogan is BS and has already been proven. Intelligently, we should pursue the option. Rightfully, is just an opinion. Not saying we need it, but don't get stuck with 20/20 hindsight.

They denied the Big 12's request, IIRC.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2014, 02:56:00 PM »

Every article I've read adds "to post season games" when talking about paying for family travel.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline BRULL

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2014, 02:59:25 PM »

They denied the Big 12's request, IIRC.

Yep, which led me to the question. I don't want one with a 10 team conference either. But, it would be good to have in our back pocket if the time comes that a 13th game is deemed crucial to playoffs. What teams do we get to come to 12 if that happens? Who would we want? We can still have two divisions with 10 and still play everyone.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2014, 03:05:36 PM »

Every article I've read adds "to post season games" when talking about paying for family travel.

I'd be up for sending the family instead of our band and the classy cats, if it came to that.  No offense, band and classy cats, but come on....

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2014, 03:11:07 PM »

I'd be up for sending the family instead of our band and the classy cats, if it came to that.  No offense, band and classy cats, but come on....

No doubt. 

Also, on friday nights, just charter a jet to fly direct from dallas and Chicago and build a family wing on a dorm or something.