Author Topic: Fall Practice and Panda X Thread  (Read 129549 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: Fall Practice
« Reply #250 on: August 11, 2014, 12:32:41 PM »
JUCO speed translates differently on a D1 field. Just saying.  :dunno:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 11, 2014, 12:35:58 PM »

If any of you think that Derricott won't see the field this year, then you're an idiot. Besides Buhl and AB, when he (Derricott) graduates and goes pro, he'll go down as one of the best linebackers KSU has ever seen. He is stronger and faster than AB and hits harder than Buhl. #myguy

I think you need to pump the breaks a bit here. While I think we all hope that is the case, that's a lot to put on someone that none of us have seen play yet.

I've seen him play (not at KSU) and he's the real deal. Check back with me later this fall.

I WILL CHECK BACK WITH YOU!

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 11, 2014, 12:38:32 PM »

Having proper reads, tackling ability and pursuit speed aren't changed by JUCO or D1 level players. I'm telling you guys, when he understands the playbook and gets the defensive schemes down, he's going to be one of the greats. Heck, AB was slow (first couple games) starting when he got to KSU too and look how that ended up for us...

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 11, 2014, 12:39:43 PM »

fanman, the speed he showed against KS's biggest 8-man and 2A studs while at Garden is the exact same as D-1. JUST WAIT.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 11, 2014, 12:40:25 PM »

If any of you think that Derricott won't see the field this year, then you're an idiot. Besides Buhl and AB, when he (Derricott) graduates and goes pro, he'll go down as one of the best linebackers KSU has ever seen. He is stronger and faster than AB and hits harder than Buhl. #myguy

I think you need to pump the breaks a bit here. While I think we all hope that is the case, that's a lot to put on someone that none of us have seen play yet.

I've seen him play (not at KSU) and he's the real deal. Check back with me later this fall.

I WILL CHECK BACK WITH YOU!

GOOD! Derricott is just a completely different animal at LB than we've been used to. He's got the speed and the size to be a playmaker on our D.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: August 11, 2014, 12:47:11 PM »
The biggest challenge I see with the Derricot kid is how fast he's able to actually learn his roles in the defense and develop chemistry with the others.

It doesn't matter how fast or skilled a kid is, if he doesn't play within the framework/scheme of the defense, he'll leave holes exposed and a bunch of internet bloggers that don't get it will blame the problems on other less athletic players because they won't be able to make up for his errors.

:buh-bye:
bears are fast...

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 11, 2014, 12:49:56 PM »

Having proper reads, tackling ability and pursuit speed aren't changed by JUCO or D1 level players. I'm telling you guys, when he understands the playbook and gets the defensive schemes down, he's going to be one of the greats. Heck, AB was slow (first couple games) starting when he got to KSU too and look how that ended up for us...

I believe your eyes and hope this is the case, but I still seem to go cautious when it comes to JUCOs. A few are immediate impact, but it seems to often take a while (if not an entire season) for them to really catch on (ie. understand the playbook/schemes) and fit in Snyder's system. That said, I'm not complaining and Snyder still uses JUCOs very well, but my impression (which could be wrong) is that during Snyder 2, the impact of JUCO players has been a little slower and not always immediate outside of a few cases.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 11, 2014, 12:53:29 PM »
It's good that we play pretty basic defense, should shorten the learning curve. If he even somewhat approaches AB status, I will be very pleasantly surprised.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 11, 2014, 12:54:40 PM »
The biggest challenge I see with the Derricot kid is how fast he's able to actually learn his roles in the defense and develop chemistry with the others.

It doesn't matter how fast or skilled a kid is, if he doesn't play within the framework/scheme of the defense, he'll leave holes exposed and a bunch of internet bloggers that don't get it will blame the problems on other less athletic players because they won't be able to make up for his errors.

Lazy Walk-ons!   :shakesfist:

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 11, 2014, 12:56:01 PM »
shellshock says he's better than Arthur, panjan says he's no better than Truman, who to believe?

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 11, 2014, 01:04:04 PM »

I agree 100% with the chemistry aspect of this whole deal. If he doesn't fit in and mesh well with the rest of the D, then we have problems as you listed above. To some extent though, when the rest of the D see's that he's a mean MoFo and hits like a Mack truck, then I think they'll be a little more welcoming and understanding that he showed up late.

It's not like he's been sitting around playing PS4 and eating cheetos all summer. He has a playbook and has been working out to shorten the learning curve once he's in fall camp.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 11, 2014, 01:06:05 PM »
shellshock says he's better than Arthur, panjan says he's no better than Truman, who to believe?

well, one has seen him play and the other hasn't, so...

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 11, 2014, 01:09:37 PM »

well, one has seen him play and the other hasn't, so...

:lynchmob: :excited:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 11, 2014, 01:12:03 PM »
Jesus, this place gets crazy come Shark Week, doesn't it?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 11, 2014, 01:13:14 PM »
Jesus, this place gets crazy come Shark Week, doesn't it?
Mainly cause 1/2 of shark week is fake anyways.  :curse: Just drives my thirst for football even more!

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 11, 2014, 01:13:55 PM »

he's as good as dvonta
emaw

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 11, 2014, 01:14:00 PM »
Shellshock showing some zeal.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 11, 2014, 01:15:11 PM »

Shellshock showing some zeal.

Yep.  He's the anti-Squawkstin Beak.

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 11, 2014, 01:16:04 PM »
Once again I really want to believe Shellshock but that is an awful lot of hype for a guy that hasn't even made it to campus with less than 3 weeks to go before the first game. I haven't seen him play in person so I really have no idea just how good he is but it's very hard to believe he will be able to make much of an impact this seaon arriving so late...if he even makes it here.
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 11, 2014, 01:16:39 PM »
I have seen garden play twice this past year. derricott is a very quick explosive player and i think we will all like him very much when he gets here. that being said erroll clarke was better (not sure if thats a product of playing beside derricott or not)

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: August 11, 2014, 01:16:57 PM »

he's as good as dvonta

Solid post.  :thumbsup:

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 11, 2014, 01:22:19 PM »
We may never know how good he will be if he still isn't on campus.  Any updates?
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 11, 2014, 01:32:26 PM »
@jlkurtz  1m
Garden City HC Matt Miller tells me that as of today D'Vonta Derricott has graduated and should be in Manhattan later tonight or tomorrow.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 11, 2014, 01:33:29 PM »
@jlkurtz  1m
Garden City HC Matt Miller tells me that as of today D'Vonta Derricott has graduated and should be in Manhattan later tonight or tomorrow.
:billdance: :billdance: :billdance:

Offline Unruly

• Oh so Unruly.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 11, 2014, 01:34:10 PM »
WARM UP THE TRACTOR BOYS
:dance: