Author Topic: Israel - Hamas peace process  (Read 59814 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Israel - Hamas peace process
« Reply #125 on: July 22, 2014, 03:34:35 PM »

[When you see the rockets coming into town, best to GTFOO there

1) where should they go?
2) what if I told you it wasn't humanly possibly to GTFOO there fast enough when you see the rockets coming?
3) What if the IDF told you the same thing?:

Unfortunate collateral damage

can't decide if parody so am disengaging

Before disengage suggest an alternative?

"Unfortunate collateral damage" answered no questions. You said "GTFOO". I asked where they should go and pointed out that the IDF says that, even with their superior tech, they can only provide civilians with 15 seconds of warning from an incoming Hamas rocket, which would leave even Usain Bolt dead (again, according to IDF).

They could take cover in a bomb shelter or tunnel. Oh wait, Hamas is too busy spending it's money on tunnels to build any bomb shelter, and the tunnels are strictly for Hamas business (stashing weapons, hiding Hamas, and infiltrating Israel).

In fact, Hamas encourages palestinains not to take cover. They want the collateral damage. Israel tries to minimize collateral damage by dropping leaflets and warning charges (roof knockers, I think they're called) before bombing. In response, Hamas posts things like this:

"Answering the occupation's [Israel's] calls will merely aid it in carrying out its plans to weaken the [Palestinian] home front and to destroy property and homes as soon as you leave them. We call on all our people who have left their homes to return to them immediately."

Facebook page of Hamas Ministry of Interior spokesman Iyad Al-Buzum

Wait, so then what are they supposed to do?

Again, (1) if the Israelis send warning of a strike, GTFO, and (2) stop electing Hamas.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 22, 2014, 03:35:37 PM »
3) Watch IDF video
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 22, 2014, 03:36:52 PM »
I watched the video, felix.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 22, 2014, 03:36:58 PM »
"[If a country] is a democracy, all citizens bear responsibility for its government's actions, and civilians are therefore fair targets."
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 22, 2014, 03:38:46 PM »

I watched the video, felix.

You probably laughed at the clips of scrambling Jews, you racist terror-lover.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 22, 2014, 03:40:03 PM »
so far as I can tell ksuw and emo's best case scenario for a Gazan:

1) get text message/leaflet/knock on roof that incoming missile is on way
2) evacuate home (usually have max 10 min. but you don't ever really know)
3) home is bombed
4) get whatever you can recover
5) go to UN refugee shelter such as a hospital which also may or may not be bombed

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 22, 2014, 03:43:15 PM »
let's imagine your head is stuck in your own ass, and the person on the left is threatening to punch you in the balls and the person on the right is pushing on the back of your neck. 

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 22, 2014, 03:47:31 PM »

3) home is bombed
5) go to UN refugee shelter such as a hospital which also may or may not be bombed

I think 1) should be "stop voting for terrorists ya big dummy!"

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 22, 2014, 03:50:11 PM »

3) home is bombed

They get 10 minutes? That actually sounds like a pretty good set of options if you live in a country that elected a terrorist organization that spends all its money attacking its next door neighbor.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 22, 2014, 03:53:00 PM »

3) home is bombed

They get 10 minutes? That actually sounds like a pretty good set of options if you live in a country that elected a terrorist organization that spends all its money attacking its next door neighbor.

"[If a country] is a democracy, all citizens bear responsibility for its government's actions, and civilians are therefore fair targets."

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #135 on: July 22, 2014, 04:02:31 PM »

3) home is bombed

/scene

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 22, 2014, 04:02:55 PM »

3) home is bombed

What point are you trying to make with the OBL quote? Even though the palestinians elected Hamas, the Israelis are not targeting civilians. They try to avoid them.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 22, 2014, 04:12:24 PM »
If I knew how to quote your post and bold "trying," I would.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 22, 2014, 04:12:52 PM »
But I'm on my phone, so this will have to suffice.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 22, 2014, 04:14:18 PM »

You don't see a difference between "trying to avoid" and "targeting"? Ok then.... That's just dumb, my friend, real dumb.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
Israel - Hamas peace process
« Reply #140 on: July 22, 2014, 04:18:07 PM »
I hate to derail this otherwise super productive debate, and (since getting "chummed) I am reluctant to bring up Egypt in non-felix-lives-in-egypt threads. But I feel like this clip is universally enjoyable:  http://www.memritv.org/clip/en/4344.htm#.U80srN7xrhZ.twitter

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 22, 2014, 04:20:09 PM »

You don't see a difference between "trying to avoid" and "targeting"? Ok then.... That's just dumb, my friend, real dumb.

"TRYING"

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 22, 2014, 04:21:01 PM »
maybe it works better in CAPS? May have to take this to the tapatalk thread.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 22, 2014, 04:29:06 PM »
I hate to derail this otherwise super productive debate, and (since getting "chummed) I am reluctant to bring up Egypt in non-felix-lives-in-egypt threads. But I feel like this clip is universally enjoyable:  http://www.memritv.org/clip/en/4344.htm#.U80srN7xrhZ.twitter

the part about the guy playing soccer when his weight allowed was wonderful

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 22, 2014, 04:31:52 PM »
maybe it works better in CAPS? May have to take this to the tapatalk thread.

No, sorry, maybe TRY again? There is clearly a moral difference in war between trying to avoid civilians (collateral damage) and intentionally inflicting it (terrorism, genocide, etc.).

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 22, 2014, 04:32:33 PM »
so how much palestinian interactions have you had emo?  can't judge them until you work closely with some for 2 years.  :nono:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 22, 2014, 10:22:09 PM »

the part about the guy playing soccer when his weight allowed was wonderful

That was my favorite part, too!

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2014, 05:57:22 AM »
Sadly Palestinian leadership is still as corrupt as it ever was, and so it's hard to not put their actions on the back of the fact that they're trying to draw attention (once again) and thus keep the money flowing.    Be it the PLO or HAMAS there's a long history of the leadership living a life of luxury while the people suffer.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2014, 09:11:37 AM »
It's really just a reflection of your bad person.  Reading books isn't the only way to attain knowledge or experience.  I prefer to go and see myself, when practical.  I tend to not hold strong opinions on anything where I don't have direct experience; I'll either defer to others with direct experience or I don't care.  Frankly this is one of those topics where none of us will convince anyone else of anything. 

Interacting with a small group of Israelis doesn't make you an expert on the origin of the conflict. I thought maybe you'd done some sort of research on the subject that goes beyond the IDF talking points fed to you by coworkers.

And you're wrong, discussions like this change opinions all the time. Just because you're a stubborn bad person who can't reasonably consider new or conflicting information doesn't mean the rest of the world is.

I don't purport to be an expert on the origin of the conflict.

When you post things like this, it definitely seems like you're trying to claim to be an expert on the situation:

I've only spent like 2 years interviewing and working closely with people who live and work there every day.  What's the KK threshold for having an informed opinion?

I'm not an expert.  I don't have a PhD in the matter.  I'm just saying I know more than you because of my life experiences.  But we're both far from experts.  FWIW, the Israelis are the experts, and they are doing what they think is best.  No one here is in a strong position to say it's the wrong thing.  We're all just armchair quarterbacking this thing.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2014, 09:17:30 AM »

[When you see the rockets coming into town, best to GTFOO there

1) where should they go?
2) what if I told you it wasn't humanly possibly to GTFOO there fast enough when you see the rockets coming?
3) What if the IDF told you the same thing?:

Unfortunate collateral damage

can't decide if parody so am disengaging

Before disengage suggest an alternative?

"Unfortunate collateral damage" answered no questions. You said "GTFOO". I asked where they should go and pointed out that the IDF says that, even with their superior tech, they can only provide civilians with 15 seconds of warning from an incoming Hamas rocket, which would leave even Usain Bolt dead (again, according to IDF).

First of all, you're comparing two dissimilar things: 1) the rockets Hamas fires into Israel, and 2) the artillery and other targeting attacks Israel launches in counter.

The rockets.  Aren't accurate at all.  Are just sort of lobbed over there in a general direction.  If someone rolls into a Gaza neighborhood and starts setting these things up, that's when the clocks starts to take cover.  That clocks includes time for Hamas to setup the rockets, fire the rockets, transit time till detection by the Israelis, time to calculate the rocket's origin, time to decide the proper counter, time to launch the counter, time for the counter to actually arrive at the scene.  That's easily several minutes.  A person could easily be a half mile away from a rocket launch site by the time Israeli targeted/accurate ordinance is arriving.  The Israelis don't have this luxury.