Author Topic: Lost in Space  (Read 8665 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: Lost in Space
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2014, 11:19:34 PM »
Orbital Telescope brought to you by RevHoney

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2014, 09:55:13 AM »
The government should never be engaged in anything for profit, sillies. It's run by a bunch of self interested jagoffs who were placed there by a bunch of rich self interested jagoffs for the sole purpose of diverting money to all the jagoffs. How some of you fail to realize this is baffling.

No offense, but this line of argument is horrible.  Privatizing just funnels the money even more directly to the rich, self-interested jerks.  When government is involved, at least society (the people) have some oversight and a voice in how funds are spent.

If you want to try a better argument, maybe argue that government control stifles incentive to create (just make sure you take into account government incentives and technology created by government agencies).
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2014, 01:23:52 PM »
The government should never be engaged in anything for profit, sillies. It's run by a bunch of self interested jagoffs who were placed there by a bunch of rich self interested jagoffs for the sole purpose of diverting money to all the jagoffs. How some of you fail to realize this is baffling.

No offense, but this line of argument is horrible.  Privatizing just funnels the money even more directly to the rich, self-interested jerks.  When government is involved, at least society (the people) have some oversight and a voice in how funds are spent.

If you want to try a better argument, maybe argue that government control stifles incentive to create (just make sure you take into account government incentives and technology created by government agencies).

Are you insane or just stupid?
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2014, 01:29:54 PM »

Are you insane or just stupid?

What was either insane or stupid in what I wrote?   :confused:
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2014, 04:46:15 PM »
Your comparison of government spending as compared to government spending is pretty batty, or stupid.

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2014, 04:58:47 PM »
Your comparison of government spending as compared to government spending is pretty batty, or stupid.

I don't really understand what you're saying, but I'm off the weekend.  Have a good one!

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2014, 11:32:14 AM »

I'm curious. . .Who from society would have any oversight on how funds are spent? An advisory committee filled with special interests anyways?

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2014, 12:19:03 PM »
Blank check
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2014, 03:12:22 PM »

I'm curious. . .Who from society would have any oversight on how funds are spent? An advisory committee filled with special interests anyways?

Um, voters.  Argue if you want that voters don't have enough input in how the U.S./Kansas/MHK make their budget, but it's still more input than you have in how any private corporation spends its cash (assuming you're not a CEO).  If your concern is accountability or the rich controlling the agenda, it's quite obviously better to work to make government more accountable than to throw up your hands and simply hand all the cash to private corporations, right?

Online john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2014, 03:31:45 PM »

Um, voters.  Argue if you want that voters don't have enough input in how the U.S./Kansas/MHK make their budget, but it's still more input than you have in how any private corporation spends its cash (assuming you're not a CEO).  If your concern is accountability or the rich controlling the agenda, it's quite obviously better to work to make government more accountable than to throw up your hands and simply hand all the cash to private corporations, right?

I know how to make corporations more accountable, but how can you make the federal government more accountable?

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2014, 03:42:31 PM »

I know how to make corporations more accountable, but how can you make the federal government more accountable?

Please clarify.  TIA

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2014, 11:05:20 PM »
I'm pretty sure the only person that knows what TGSP is talking about is TGSP.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2014, 02:42:46 AM »
What about that Tesla guy's company? SpaceEx I think?  They could probs do it.

Hate to go to far right on everyone, but this is one of those things best done by the private sector.  Healthy competition there will allow exponential growth as compared to NASA who were constantly stalled based on budget issues.  I do enjoy the idea of free enterprise, and so the government should subsidize research without having to fund an entire program.

That's about as middle of the road as you can get, and at one time was the universal credo. Now, everything but the stock market is stalled.

That's actually what's going on right now.  The private sector has taken over space exploration.  I just watched a video today that featured a company that is going to start asteroid mining within the next few years.  According to the spokesman for the company, one fifty-meter long asteroid could be worth up to $600 billion.  Apparently asteroids are rich with metals, fuels, and other various resources.  That's where private space companies will profit the most, imo.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 02:49:39 AM by OregonSmock »

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2014, 08:36:42 AM »

That's actually what's going on right now.  The private sector has taken over space exploration.  I just watched a video today that featured a company that is going to start asteroid mining within the next few years.  According to the spokesman for the company, one fifty-meter long asteroid could be worth up to $600 billion.  Apparently asteroids are rich with metals, fuels, and other various resources.  That's where private space companies will profit the most, imo.

That's really cool actually.  Any chance you could dig up a link to that video? I'd really enjoy watching it.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2014, 09:01:39 AM »

That's really cool actually.  Any chance you could dig up a link to that video? I'd really enjoy watching it.

I saw that documentary too, it was called Battlestar Galactica or something. It was either on the SciFi channel or Cartoon Network.

Online john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2014, 10:56:41 AM »

Hate to go to far right on everyone, but this is one of those things best done by the private sector.  Healthy competition there will allow exponential growth as compared to NASA who were constantly stalled based on budget issues.  I do enjoy the idea of free enterprise, and so the government should subsidize research without having to fund an entire program.

That's about as middle of the road as you can get, and at one time was the universal credo. Now, everything but the stock market is stalled.

The EPA and asteroid huggers will put an end to that crap right away.

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2014, 11:23:37 AM »

The EPA and asteroid huggers will put an end to that crap right away.

Stupid asteroid huggers. They need to go back to Lawrence where they belong!

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2014, 09:38:50 PM »
Flipped on comedy central tonight hoping south park would be on. Nope, just some boring documentary on couriers of the future called futurama.  :zzz:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2014, 11:28:50 AM »

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2014, 01:14:04 PM »
I couldn't imagine a worse life than trying to live on the moon.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2014, 01:23:13 PM »

Living in northern Russia?   :dunno:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2014, 01:23:58 PM »

Living in northern Russia?   :dunno:

Better than the moon. Not much, but it's still better.

Offline Headinjun

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2014, 01:25:10 PM »

That's probably a good endeavor to do privately. I just wouldn't want to hand over nasa/military type projects to the private sector considering how the private sector has handled supply and security for the U.S. Military in the past.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2014, 02:19:07 PM »
Anyone that thinks space mining is on the horizon is a rough ridin' Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).

I did hear about training great white sharks for purposes of deep sea mining. Unfortunately, its a trillion times less economical than paying some guy in Uganda 4 cents an hour to strip mine iron ore.  Which means it's still far more likely than asteroid mining.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2014, 02:20:28 PM »
Anyone that thinks space mining is on the horizon is a rough ridin' Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).
Yes.  FSD is correct here folks, but I wouldn't use such mean language. :(