Author Topic: Debt Collectors  (Read 34346 times)

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Debt Collectors
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2014, 10:06:16 PM »
Like others have mentioned, you probably should have known some of this stuff before getting married.  You need to sit down with her, get everything out there, and make a budget and a plan to dig out of this.  Do you have children?  If not, both of you should probably get night jobs or weekend jobs.  What do you do for a living?  What bills do you pay each month and for how much?  I want to help you.

Offline Headinjun

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2014, 10:08:04 PM »
Hub,

Are guys completely capable of living off of one income?

If you are budget everything off of one and then get at the debt with all the other. 

She might try to find a second job also. 

Offline KSUBrian

• Combo-Fan
  • Weird Robert is #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2014, 10:30:35 PM »

-Student loan debt is one of the few things that can persist after a person files for bankruptcy.

Govt stjdent loans yes. Private? Maybe, maybe not.

Offline KSUBrian

• Combo-Fan
  • Weird Robert is #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2014, 10:36:31 PM »
the best financial practices of a couple.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

That is truly honorable and should be #1 goal,  but if the spouse's obligations and bad decisions put your financial future at peril, it may be advisable to look at legal ramifications and responsibiljties.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2014, 10:39:32 PM »
stjdent

responsibiljties.

Celebrate responsjbly, Brian. Drive sober or get pjlled over. :frown:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2014, 10:40:11 PM »
45k isnt enough to file bankruptcy over, but if the rest of that package (over 100k?) is, if you are married but live in separate homes, she could file bankruptcy without bringing any of your finances under scrutiny.  I don't know how much footwork work they do, but renting a nearby apartment out for a year and "living" there might be an option to make that route work.

I don't know how much trouble having a bankrupt spouse would be going forward, or how that would compare to your current sitch.  The bottom line is, the easiest way out is just to pay down the debt.  Thats the only way to wrap it up without alot of kicking and screaming.  Beyond that its a question of how much kicking and screaming costs to you. 

Another option is, if the interest rate is whats killing her in the arrangement, tieing the debt to someone with better credit could convince a creditor to take on the debt at a much better rate.  This is why college kids can cosign with their parents on debt with no immediate path towards repayment without incurring a really poor rate.  Alot, of people would advise you not to muddy yourself in the arrangement, and from a position of pure self-interest you should not, but you are a married couple now.  You'll have to  deal with this as long as you're together, money she doesn't have is money you don't have, etc.  If shes worth it, you do have some leverage to improve the financial situation.  Now, i don't know your relationship, this is alot to ask of someone.  But to draw a parallel, if she had a kid from a previous marriage, no one would advise you to "let her deal with that one" without you.  Like it or not, it is your problem now, too.  I'm just tossing out another option.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2014, 11:17:17 PM »
Also she majored in journalism. From what I can tell she is doing about all she can with that degree in the moment

what is her current job? is she a journalist? if she is, it's time to start looking for a new job immediately.

i was a journalism major. if not for my parents paying for my $80k out-of-state tuition, it would have been the single-biggest mistake of my life. the second-biggest mistake of my life would have been taking a journalism job. lucky for me, i was fortunate enough to land a good job in an entirely different field. seriously, unless it's an advertising gig, there is a very low ceiling for journalists across almost every platform.

you need to put together a plan and have some fun with it. a few people have suggested getting second jobs. i'd suggest getting a third one, too. you should both be doing everything you possibly can to eliminate this debt. if you feel overworked (especially her), well, too bad. the faster you accumulate the money, the quicker you will overcome your debt.

you would be amazed at the ways you can earn extra income with minimal investment of time, and without leaving the house. a friend of mine (a journalism major) was recently trying to find a second job for extra income. he stumbled upon a resume-writing job, one that allows him to take on as much work as he wants. he could write hundreds if he so desired.

from an email he sent me:

The best part of the position is that you can obtain as little or as much work as you want. I can request to do 1 resume a day or I can request 10 and in some cases even up to 20 per day. The pay is $20 per resume and $5 per cover letter. Most clients request both so more often than not it's a $25 project. Most resumes would take anywhere from 45-75 minutes to complete depending on the client involved and how specialized the industry they were looking to work in happened to be. The company has around 200 freelance writers who come and go all the time. They have a wonderful support base as well for the writers and for the clients who will constantly give feedback on your work in case there are areas you need to improve.

You have 3 days to get a 1st draft to a client and then after that the client has 7 days to request a revision. And you get sent new projects every 3 days, so it's a constant flow of 1st drafts and revisions. Their operating management system is really well laid out, it's so easy to follow and manage and they have done everything they can to allow writers to focus on resume writing and not replying back and forth with e-mails to the client. Most of the e-mails are auto generated.

if your wife wrote 20 resumes per week (an extra 20 hours), she could earn an additional $500 per week. that's $2,000/month and $24,000 per year. if i had her kind of debt and was desperate for money, i'd be writing twice as many, and would want to earn enough to pay the entirety of the debt back in a single year.

you can't change the cards that are dealt, only the way you play the hand.

Offline KSUBrian

• Combo-Fan
  • Weird Robert is #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2014, 11:41:02 PM »
stjdent

responsibiljties.

So sorry Mr. perfect that I've got big fingers and don't always go back and proof read what I've typed on a message board.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2014, 11:57:00 PM »
Good grief.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2014, 12:06:18 AM »
stjdent

responsibiljties.

So sorry Mr. perfect that I've got big fingers and don't always go back and proof read what I've typed on a message board.

I'm just having fun with my IRL friend ksubrian. Buds. :cheers:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2014, 12:08:44 AM »
And props to eastcat for doing nothing to dig himself out of his well-established Worst Poster hole. Nicely done, friend. At this point I'm actually just impressed more than anything else. :thumbs:

Get off my D, Benny.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2014, 12:14:24 AM »
Lawyerup. Accountantup. Financial advisor wouldn't hurt.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2014, 12:44:37 AM »
I just heard a commercial from the other room and some guy got out of paying all his student loans by calling a 1-800 number.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2014, 12:48:53 AM »
I just heard a commercial from the other room and some guy got out of paying all his student loans by calling a 1-800 number.

Aren't commercials great? They solve all our problems.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2014, 08:32:24 AM »
This scenario is why you should be required to share your credit reports before getting married. So you know what you are getting in to.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2014, 08:33:54 AM »
This scenario is why you should be required to share your credit reports before getting married. So you know what you are getting in to.

Or just, I don't know, get to know the person before you marry them.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2014, 08:35:25 AM »
Most resumes would take anywhere from 45-75 minutes to complete

I bet I could do 3-5 per hour. I mean, wouldn't you just have a template that you fill out with the information provided? The cover letter would take more time. Why does it cost so much less than the resume?

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2014, 08:44:20 AM »
I bet I could do 3-5 per hour. I mean, wouldn't you just have a template that you fill out with the information provided? The cover letter would take more time. Why does it cost so much less than the resume?

good question. i know my resume took me about four days to complete nine years ago, when i made one for the first time.  :D

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2014, 08:50:41 AM »
50k isn't bad in the scheme of things.  You guys could do it but it would take sacrifices.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2014, 08:51:57 AM »

-Student loan debt is one of the few things that can persist after a person files for bankruptcy.

Govt stjdent loans yes. Private? Maybe, maybe not.
Samething for private. It's like that for any student loan.

Offline Daddy Claxton

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2014, 09:04:01 AM »
Hub, I'm really interested to know what sacrifices you and your wife are willing to make. Are you willing to get a small, crappy apartment in a bad neighborhood?  Are you willing to share one vehicle? Each get a second job?

If I were you, I would ask my wife these questions ASAP and then proceed with the relationship based on the answer. Good luck to you.  If you guys make it through this you will have a very solid relationship.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2014, 09:07:29 AM »
50k isn't bad in the scheme of things.  You guys could do it but it would take sacrifices.

It depends on what the interest rate is, what their income is, and what their mortgage payment already is, really.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2014, 09:07:58 AM »
i think you need to come up with the 5k to shed the collector and then you will be current and can consolodate again and make the minimum payment for the rest of your life

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2014, 09:08:18 AM »
And props to eastcat for doing nothing to dig himself out of his well-established Worst Poster hole. Nicely done, friend. At this point I'm actually just impressed more than anything else. :thumbs:

Get off my D, Benny.

Big surprise, known bigot eastcat makes a homophobic remark. :users:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2014, 09:14:05 AM »
IMO, she shouldn't be driving a vehicle with a payment on it.  Sell the one she has, buy something much crappier.  An old Honda or Toyota might suit your needs just fine.