Author Topic: Shows that have you by the balls, or vag...  (Read 1262415 times)

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
Re: Shows that have you by the balls, or vag...
« Reply #5400 on: March 31, 2014, 10:52:29 PM »
Some random thoughts, not sure where to start

We were told that this re-telling of the Ted-mother story was about the kind of love that very few can find.  It was supposed to be the Romeo and Juliet love not the best friends love that so many couples have.  Midway through they poke at that when Lilly is watching Ted on the phone breaking the 3 day calling rule, its something different this time.  But as the episode moves on we learn an important fact, even after kids and huge life changes they haven't married, Ted never commits, BS about life getting in the way.  The timeline gets a little bit muddied for me to follow.  How far after or before the Mom getting sick do they marry?  Finally the kids push Ted out of the home to find Robin, noting that they've noticed Ted has the hots for Aunt Robin.  Perhaps we find out that Ted and this whole story is a bunch of bullshit.  Look at the end of the story, the kids tell Ted to go find Robin to be happy.  What does Ted do at the very end?  He reveals the Blue French horn.  The Same horn which Ted initially used to woo Robin at the beginning of the story.  So step back and process that, the beautiful love that Ted has 'found' with his wife he always kept the horn, took forever and a day to marry his wife (do we know when she first got sick?  honestly don't know) and never let go of the artifacts from Robin.  Instead of coming off as him finding happiness we are left with a Ted who bounced back to his first one and only love after the death of his "soul mate".  So Ted comes off for me as they same whiny bitch we've known for 5 seasons, always pining for the next girl who could be the one, instead fully loving the woman he is with.  In fact, the more I think about it, Barney is the one who comes off at the character who has come the most full circle in the show.  He moves from womanizer to woman protector after the (SHITTY) introduction of his daughter which causes real, transcendental change in one of the main characters.  Ted is still the guy chasing after the woman, treating each relationship as a placeholder until he finds "the one" and I feel lied to by the story, the Mom couldn't have been Ted's "one", because he never left Robin.

:cheers:

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5401 on: March 31, 2014, 10:55:35 PM »
Game of Thrones. Am I getting myself into something highly addictive?
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

The Big Train

« Reply #5402 on: March 31, 2014, 11:05:39 PM »

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5403 on: March 31, 2014, 11:06:38 PM »

I also love cocaine, though I'm not sure they quite fit together.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5404 on: March 31, 2014, 11:09:23 PM »
GOT takes sooooo rough ridin' long between seasons. 

Also, everyone dies (haven't read the books), don't get attached to a character.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5405 on: March 31, 2014, 11:17:26 PM »
GOT takes sooooo rough ridin' long between seasons. 

Also, everyone dies (haven't read the books), don't get attached to a character.

1. DVD's/ BluRay (I forget which)

2. Duh, it's the middle ages.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5406 on: March 31, 2014, 11:41:04 PM »

We were told that this re-telling of the Ted-mother story was about the kind of love that very few can find.  It was supposed to be the Romeo and Juliet love not the best friends love that so many couples have.  Midway through they poke at that when Lilly is watching Ted on the phone breaking the 3 day calling rule, its something different this time.  But as the episode moves on we learn an important fact, even after kids and huge life changes they haven't married, Ted never commits, BS about life getting in the way.  The timeline gets a little bit muddied for me to follow.  How far after or before the Mom getting sick do they marry?  Finally the kids push Ted out of the home to find Robin, noting that they've noticed Ted has the hots for Aunt Robin.  Perhaps we find out that Ted and this whole story is a bunch of bullshit.  Look at the end of the story, the kids tell Ted to go find Robin to be happy.  What does Ted do at the very end?  He reveals the Blue French horn.  The Same horn which Ted initially used to woo Robin at the beginning of the story.  So step back and process that, the beautiful love that Ted has 'found' with his wife he always kept the horn, took forever and a day to marry his wife (do we know when she first got sick?  honestly don't know) and never let go of the artifacts from Robin.  Instead of coming off as him finding happiness we are left with a Ted who bounced back to his first one and only love after the death of his "soul mate".  So Ted comes off for me as they same whiny bitch we've known for 5 seasons, always pining for the next girl who could be the one, instead fully loving the woman he is with.  In fact, the more I think about it, Barney is the one who comes off at the character who has come the most full circle in the show.  He moves from womanizer to woman protector after the (SHITTY) introduction of his daughter which causes real, transcendental change in one of the main characters.  Ted is still the guy chasing after the woman, treating each relationship as a placeholder until he finds "the one" and I feel lied to by the story, the Mom couldn't have been Ted's "one", because he never left Robin.

ednksu gets it

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5407 on: March 31, 2014, 11:47:08 PM »

ednksu gets it

I think getting it would be stopping watching the show after it started to suck. I got sucked in for a bit on the 'Flix. Then I snapped out of it when watching was not fun and super annoying. It felt like working at a really boring and unfunny job.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5408 on: April 01, 2014, 12:17:55 AM »
Shameless just rocks. Continues to be the best show on television.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #5409 on: April 01, 2014, 12:27:05 AM »
ednksu gets it

If you lost someone that you loved as much as Ted loved the mother (and I think he did), it makes sense that he would gravitate towards Robin and play up their story because he was trying to justify moving on to his kids.  So, there would be a bias towards their relationship in the narrative because it was a way of justifying their history so he would get their approval.

2030 puts Ted somewhere in his late 40's, so he wasn't going to be alone forever.  He just loved two women in his life at extreme levels, and he lost one too young.  The other one always put her career first and lamented the choices she made (and the ensuing loneliness), and her inability to make it work with Ted was more a matter of timing than anything.  It just so happened that the timing worked later in life, and Robin was able to make it work with, from her perspective, the one that got away. 

The mother loved that Max guy to the point where they probably would have married, but he died young. The writers absolutely put that in there so the viewers would assume she told Ted that story and would tell him to be happy and find love again.  They also started dropping literal references to Robin realizing that she should have married Ted even on the day of her wedding.  It makes sense that they would ulitmately find their way to each other when the timing was right.

For everyone saying the ending with Robin cheapens the relationship, Ted waited six years and raised his kids on his own.  The guy deserves to find happiness like the mother deserved to find Ted after her first love died.  My assumption is that he re-stole the horn; it wasn't something he kept.

So, yeah, I'm good with it now.  Was it a long con designed to keep you hanging on?  Yes.  But we saw how he met her, based on flash forwards and how he spoke about her, he loved her more than Robin, but in the end, Robin was the right person to help him find happiness again.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5410 on: April 01, 2014, 02:41:51 AM »

Is it even close? (Pro-tip: It's not)

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5411 on: April 01, 2014, 08:05:43 AM »
ednksu gets it

If you lost someone that you loved as much as Ted loved the mother (and I think he did), it makes sense that he would gravitate towards Robin and play up their story because he was trying to justify moving on to his kids.  So, there would be a bias towards their relationship in the narrative because it was a way of justifying their history so he would get their approval.

2030 puts Ted somewhere in his late 40's, so he wasn't going to be alone forever.  He just loved two women in his life at extreme levels, and he lost one too young.  The other one always put her career first and lamented the choices she made (and the ensuing loneliness), and her inability to make it work with Ted was more a matter of timing than anything.  It just so happened that the timing worked later in life, and Robin was able to make it work with, from her perspective, the one that got away. 

The mother loved that Max guy to the point where they probably would have married, but he died young. The writers absolutely put that in there so the viewers would assume she told Ted that story and would tell him to be happy and find love again.  They also started dropping literal references to Robin realizing that she should have married Ted even on the day of her wedding.  It makes sense that they would ulitmately find their way to each other when the timing was right.

For everyone saying the ending with Robin cheapens the relationship, Ted waited six years and raised his kids on his own.  The guy deserves to find happiness like the mother deserved to find Ted after her first love died.  My assumption is that he re-stole the horn; it wasn't something he kept.

So, yeah, I'm good with it now.  Was it a long con designed to keep you hanging on?  Yes.  But we saw how he met her, based on flash forwards and how he spoke about her, he loved her more than Robin, but in the end, Robin was the right person to help him find happiness again.

I understand and agree mostly with what you said.  I think what cheapens the end (with Ted going back to Robin) for me is how the writers spent an entire season on a wedding where the couple getting married lasted three years.  As well as wasting our time on that wedding, we got to see how Ted finally released his love for Robin and I think everyone fist-pumped after that happened because we thought Ted finally moved on.  We also got to see how the entire group met The Mother in their own way and that made The Mother's character develop to a point where we all thought "this is how everyone approves and she becomes part of the group."  The Mother was my third favorite character behind Marshall and Lily and seeing Ted drift back for the 3rd or 4th time to Robin in his life came across as horribly desperate.

In my head I imagine that 40 something Ted confessed his love for Robin, they start dating but Barney gets super jealous and goes on a killing spree.  That is the only way the love triangle will end. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline slucat

• GIRL ALERT, GIRL ALERT
  • Combo-Fan
  • This SLU, not the city
    • View Profile
« Reply #5412 on: April 01, 2014, 08:48:51 AM »
Ugh. Last night was a disappointment of Epic proportions.
Everyone has put it more eloquently than I could.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5413 on: April 01, 2014, 09:25:26 AM »
ednksu gets it

I like @Panjandrum's response the best. As for the blue horn, I agree that it is something that he tracked down rather than kept. This was the case for the locket too.

Also,  :shakesfist: at many of you for not wanting people happy. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to lose a spouse at a relatively young age. If a 50-something widower and a 50-something divorcee with way too many dogs want to date or get married, good for them.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5414 on: April 01, 2014, 09:56:34 AM »
i watched an episode of the mindy project last week and i thought it was pretty funny.

i enjoy that show dlew!  she seems more funny in it than the office (well i guess it's her show, she better right?) and the dude from ira & abbey is pretty likeable

i think this show might be pretty good

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #5415 on: April 01, 2014, 11:14:48 AM »
they tried to fit waaaaayy too much into one episode. the ending was great but the episode was all over the place but it kinda had to be to get to where it ended

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5416 on: April 01, 2014, 11:54:10 AM »
To the issue of the blue horn, it has to be something he kept for a long period of time.  Think about the timeline.  The show starts in 2005, and we first see the horn.  Midway through the show they have the returning of the horn to the restaurant to signal the closure of the relationship between Ted and Robin, maybe 2010ish, no firm idea when this happened.  So if we pull the timeline through, Ted had to have retrieved the horn well before the night his kids told him to go out.  There is no way that horn is sitting on that wall for 20+ years. 

And Pan I like your response attempting to situate them moving on, but that doesn't sit in the narrative of the story too well for me.  We were told throughout the entire show that Ted was searching for "THE one", not "A one".  I'm sorry but I look to classic love stories in fiction and reality.  Anecdote, John Wooden asked to be shaved on his deathbed so he could look nice when he saw his wife again.  That is the kind of love we were supposed to believe Ted was searching for.  The kind that never dies that you CAN'T move on from. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #5417 on: April 01, 2014, 11:56:07 AM »
To the issue of the blue horn, it has to be something he kept for a long period of time.  Think about the timeline.  The show starts in 2005, and we first see the horn.  Midway through the show they have the returning of the horn to the restaurant to signal the closure of the relationship between Ted and Robin, maybe 2010ish, no firm idea when this happened.  So if we pull the timeline through, Ted had to have retrieved the horn well before the night his kids told him to go out.  There is no way that horn is sitting on that wall for 20+ years. 

And Pan I like your response attempting to situate them moving on, but that doesn't sit in the narrative of the story too well for me.  We were told throughout the entire show that Ted was searching for "THE one", not "A one".  I'm sorry but I look to classic love stories in fiction and reality.  Anecdote, John Wooden asked to be shaved on his deathbed so he could look nice when he saw his wife again.  That is the kind of love we were supposed to believe Ted was searching for.  The kind that never dies that you CAN'T move on from.
well it could be that Robin was the one but due to timing and other issues she couldn't be the one

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #5418 on: April 01, 2014, 11:56:29 AM »

I just started on Saturday and I'm already close to Season 3 :blank:

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5419 on: April 01, 2014, 12:20:14 PM »

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5420 on: April 01, 2014, 12:25:51 PM »
i always thought denouement was called resolution

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5421 on: April 01, 2014, 12:47:23 PM »
I'm coming around to it today.  Marshall and lily get a happy ending. Ted and Robin get a happy ending. I can now see where the mother got her happy ending a few episodes back, with the "let's just not speak of it and enjoy our time together" scene. Barney got kind of a happy ending (and 31 figurative ones :katdaddy:).

What upsets me is that they closed the Ted and robin story just so many goddamn times. The yellow umbrella scene is one of my favorites from this whole series. They had that shitty "robin floats away" scene. It was over. They undid so many great scenes to try and achieve an epic scene that turned into a pretty good scene.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5422 on: April 01, 2014, 01:21:02 PM »

Is it even close? (Pro-tip: It's not)
I watched the last two weeks' episodes last night.

I was so relieved Lip didn't yell at "Fifi" (omg how cute was it when Liam called her that) in Shaboygan (sp?).  That was such a sweet conversation they had where Lip was all "you've done so much for us, etc."

They've done such a good job at subtly developing Debbie and Carl, who have taken a more prominent role in "growing up" the "Gallagher way."  Although, I'm afraid Carl is going to get into some serious trouble with the van girl.

I thought it was odd how Micky and Kevin reconciled so quickly -- one minute, Micky is ready to murder Kevin, the next minute, Kevin's rolling his eyes as Mickey destroys his bar.  Whatever.

I hope Mandy's abusive bf gets what's coming to him.

The Micky beating up his dad scene was well done.

I hope they address what's making Ian so weird.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5423 on: April 01, 2014, 01:45:34 PM »
still not okay with it. end the whole series with the umbrella scene and I am happy AF.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5424 on: April 01, 2014, 01:48:32 PM »
still not okay with it. end the whole series with the umbrella scene and I am happy AF.

:Rusty:

The show wasn't about your happiness, sw. It was about Ted's.