Author Topic: The massa for the great emancipator?  (Read 1942 times)

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The massa for the great emancipator?
« on: March 30, 2014, 11:18:23 PM »
Phoggies are conflicted: http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=172&f=2481&t=12780259
Seriously, two threads on this and Cal pretty much owns the board.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: The massa for the great emancipator?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 11:48:14 PM »
Pour your entire athletic budget into a hobby sport and can't even get out of the Round of 32  :lol:

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 04:09:21 PM »
In Self's 11 years at KU, they have been a top 4 seed every year and a 1/2 seed in 7 of those 11. 

Self is only 5-5 vs teams seeded 1-7.    The Embiid injury was a huge topic for them for the last month.  Self's record could be 3-5 vs teams seeded 1-7 if UNC's all American PG Kendall Marshall doesn't break his wrist and miss the 2012 elite 8 game. (lose that and they don't beat Osu, lose to UK)

The tourney is unpredicatable but KU has had its healthy share of lower seeded teams win  in their bracket.    Ku cant control who they play in the tourney, but when they lose to one of these lower seeded teams..... its gonna get talked about. 

Self has 4 losses to teams seeded 10-14.    I think Self is a great coach, but its a little crazy to think that if Marshall doesn't break his wrist..... Self could have more losses to 10-14 seeds, than wins vs 1-7 seeds.     For a team that has been a 4,3,4,1,1,3,1,1,2,1,2 seed in his 11 years, its a little head scratching.

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 04:27:58 PM »
Favorite response to someone who prefers Cal to Seff:

"1. Kindly take all your KU gear to your back yard.

2. Douse liberally in kerosene.

3. Toss match on pile.

4. Replace with UK gear.

5. Move to Kentucky."

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 06:07:36 PM »
Quit being mean about KU, guys.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 03:13:15 PM »
I agree. Bill is a much better person, but 98% of us on here aren't personal friends with Bill. So most of us don't care about how nice he is, or if he holds the door for his mom, we care about 1 thing- KU basketball being the last team standing at the end of the tourney.... sadly that's all it boils down too... sure every program wishes that they had a guy as nice as John Wooden, but truth is college basketball is big BUSINESS. If you have your money in stocks in a company, you don't care about wheter the CEO is a douchbag, you care about ROI--RETURN ON INVESTMENT.

hhhawk wrote: I like Bill Self as a person MUCH better than Calipari. But Calipari's post season record is unquestionably better and I am including the loss of his Memphis' team in 2008 to the Hawks.

From a results standpoint, I much prefer Kentucky's post season runs more than our remarkable ten straight Big Twelve titles.

Cal seems able to get his teams to play "loose" in the NCAA. Bill's teams frequently seem "tight."

Hope this all turns around next season, but with our current point guards, I fear it will not.

:confused:

Offline 1863

• Combo-Fan
  • John Currie is a beautiful human bean.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 07:16:29 PM »
I agree. Bill is a much better person, but 98% of us on here aren't personal friends with Bill. So most of us don't care about how nice he is, or if he holds the door for his mom, we care about 1 thing- KU basketball being the last team standing at the end of the tourney.... sadly that's all it boils down too... sure every program wishes that they had a guy as nice as John Wooden, but truth is college basketball is big BUSINESS. If you have your money in stocks in a company, you don't care about wheter the CEO is a douchbag, you care about ROI--RETURN ON INVESTMENT.

hhhawk wrote: I like Bill Self as a person MUCH better than Calipari. But Calipari's post season record is unquestionably better and I am including the loss of his Memphis' team in 2008 to the Hawks.

From a results standpoint, I much prefer Kentucky's post season runs more than our remarkable ten straight Big Twelve titles.

Cal seems able to get his teams to play "loose" in the NCAA. Bill's teams frequently seem "tight."

Hope this all turns around next season, but with our current point guards, I fear it will not.

truth is college basketball is big BUSINESS.

LOL. I love college basketball but even the KU football team pulls in more revenue than the basketball team.

The angst in that thread between people putting Self on a holy pedestal and those wanting to run him out of town for Cal is hilarious. Also see how many times you can ctrl+f the word 'blueblood'. I think its at least once every sentence.
 :lol:

Offline GCJayhawker

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 02:09:10 PM »
Alright which one of you is Abe Vigoda on Twitter?  Just trolling a writer for the KU SB Nation sight about Massa Self.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 02:53:29 PM »