Author Topic: Dunking in pregame  (Read 17252 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: Dunking in pregame
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2014, 11:12:57 AM »
our fanbase is definitely racist.  i can't believe anyone would argue differently.

Does one drop of racism make the whole fanbase racist?  I say yes. 

Offline kst8cat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2014, 12:23:02 PM »
He's saying that our fan base would treat a black player differently had they done it, which is true.

Yeah right.  We are just a big-time racist fan base aren't we?  I don't believe that to be true at all.  Complete B.S.

meister, the reason I was diplomatic about my point is that people can't handle the nuanced conversation as evidenced by this post. I didn't call anyone or any group of people racist but most like kst8cat can't understand the difference.

I did not say you did MIR.  Meister is the one who put words into your mouth and my response was entirely to him when he said "which is true".  You have yet to explain why you think people would treat Southwell differently, so I am open to whatever your answer is.

Because Shane is black, not from Kansas, and not a walk on. The rules are different for white people, in state players, and walk ons. Let's change Shane to Omari. One of the defenses of Vulture is that he's smart. Omari Lawrence is a college graduate, has any fan on any message board anywhere ever called Omari smart? How many have called him stupid?

Let me ask you this.  If Shane were the culprit in dunking before the game, would you still have posted this (minus the walk-on part)?

"rough ridin' moron jackass walkon, peace of crap. what a goddamned moron"

You seem to be saying that would be the natural reaction of many people and perfectly justifiable.  But since Vulture enjoys some sort of "protected status" in people's minds because he is a white walk-on from the state of Kansas, we look the other way and don't criticize him for screwing up.  But just to clarify, who exactly are we talking about here?  When you wrote "I can't imagine how many dumb assess, idiots, and morons I would have read if Shane did this", it sounds like a criticism of just goEMAW posters in this thread who did not share your reaction about the dunk.  But I also get the sense that you may be trying to make a larger point about how your typical KSU fan looks at players as a whole. 

As far as the dunk itself, I still don't think anyone would have reacted differently had it been Shane.  I mean the vast majority of fans (myself included) had no idea that was even a rule to begin with.  As far as typical KSU fans go in how they view players, I don't think race makes the slightest bit of difference.  We all want the best players in every way possible to attend and represent our school.  I don't think race factors into that even the slightest bit.  People may cheer a little more for a Kansas kid now and then because people have state pride and enjoy knowing that our small state is capable of producing Division 1 level athletes, and we want to show that we appreciate them staying in the state to play for our school.  When you have elite in-state talent like a Terrence Newman or Darren Sproles, the love-fest just goes off the charts.  Same with guys like Wayne Simien or Perry Ellis at KU.  I think everyone knows you can't be a successful Kansas team without pulling a lot of talent from out of state, but I don't see why anyone would have a problem with fans rooting or cheering for Kansas players to do well.  I mean it may be a bias of sorts, but so what?  As far as walk-ons, most people view them as the ultimate underdog because we seldom get to them play.  So yeah you may hear extra loud cheering when one of them makes a 3-pointer or something, but again so what?  It's not like fans actually love or appreciate them more than the starters.  If all the walk-ons were starters we would be losing every single game and everyone knows that. 

Offline kst8cat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2014, 12:34:28 PM »
He's saying that our fan base would treat a black player differently had they done it, which is true.

Yeah right.  We are just a big-time racist fan base aren't we?  I don't believe that to be true at all.  Complete B.S.

meister, the reason I was diplomatic about my point is that people can't handle the nuanced conversation as evidenced by this post. I didn't call anyone or any group of people racist but most like kst8cat can't understand the difference.

I did not say you did MIR.  Meister is the one who put words into your mouth and my response was entirely to him when he said "which is true".  You have yet to explain why you think people would treat Southwell differently, so I am open to whatever your answer is.

Because Shane is black, not from Kansas, and not a walk on. The rules are different for white people, in state players, and walk ons. Let's change Shane to Omari. One of the defenses of Vulture is that he's smart. Omari Lawrence is a college graduate, has any fan on any message board anywhere ever called Omari smart? How many have called him stupid?

I don't follow message board discussion closely all the time, especially on other sites, but I take it you don't like that people in the past have referred to Vulture as smart.  I didn't know much at all about Vulture before Friday night, but a quick look at his bio states that he "was named to both the Fall 2012 and Spring 2013 Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll, which included a 4.0 GPA in the fall".  So based on that, why on earth would anybody have a problem with a message board poster referring to the guy as smart?  I guess I don't get it.  Are there all kinds of people out there calling Omari stupid or something?   

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2014, 12:55:58 PM »
A lot of people call Omari stupid.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2014, 01:02:50 PM »
roehleder (sp?) did it and people went huh that's weird. i didn't even know that was a rule and the ref should not have called it. if shane did it, 37 yr old soccer moms would've been cussing him out on facebook for the next 24 hours. those are facts. take whatever you want from them.

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2014, 01:09:48 PM »
I would've preferred that Shane or some other starter have gotten the T.  Well, not Shane because he would've been ejected with the second T.  It pisses me off more that it was a walk-on.

A walk-on's one job during a game is to not get a T and hurt the team.  Ours did. 

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2014, 01:19:22 PM »

A walk-on's one job during a game is to not get a T and hurt the team.  Ours did.

what about "psych up the team with the first ever dunk of his life", huh?!  you saw how shook the guy who took the freethrows was! He musta been like, "damn, if their walkons can do that, we're in trouble."

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2014, 01:22:09 PM »
Has it been mentioned how rough ridin' stupid this rule is?

Offline kst8cat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2014, 01:35:35 PM »
roehleder (sp?) did it and people went huh that's weird. i didn't even know that was a rule and the ref should not have called it. if shane did it, 37 yr old soccer moms would've been cussing him out on facebook for the next 24 hours. those are facts. take whatever you want from them.

Actually those are not facts.  That is your assumption based on a hypothetical situation.  Can you show some evidence based on a comparable situation?  Let's take Adrian Hilburn's salute at the end of the Pinstripe Bowl a few years ago.  I don't recall any K-State fans jumping all over Hilburn calling him dumb and stupid for doing it.  Everyone I knew or read online talked about how the refs mumped us over and how the excessive celebration rule was not enforced in other games going on in the same day or even in the same game when Syracuse scored earlier.  I recall nothing but sympathy for Hilburn in that situation.  I was pissed beyond belief at the refs, not Hilburn, and I'm willing to bet that so were the "37 year old soccer moms" out there. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2014, 02:29:11 PM »

Actually those are not facts.  That is your assumption based on a hypothetical situation.  Can you show some evidence based on a comparable situation?  Let's take Adrian Hilburn's salute at the end of the Pinstripe Bowl a few years ago.  I don't recall any K-State fans jumping all over Hilburn calling him dumb and stupid for doing it.  Everyone I knew or read online talked about how the refs mumped us over and how the excessive celebration rule was not enforced in other games going on in the same day or even in the same game when Syracuse scored earlier.  I recall nothing but sympathy for Hilburn in that situation.  I was pissed beyond belief at the refs, not Hilburn, and I'm willing to bet that so were the "37 year old soccer moms" out there.

like i said, facts. i mean, you can come up with all the five year old football hypotheticals you want but they don't dispute the truth that i've already laid out. sorry, man.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2014, 02:35:03 PM »

What is the intent of the rule? How does it improve or protect the game?

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2014, 02:36:20 PM »

I've always assumed it was to prevent damage to the goal close to game time.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2014, 09:21:37 AM »
I would've preferred that Shane or some other starter have gotten the T.  Well, not Shane because he would've been ejected with the second T.  It pisses me off more that it was a walk-on.

Yeah. I want Rholeder off the team.

Offline kst8cat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2014, 09:48:17 AM »

like i said, facts. i mean, you can come up with all the five year old football hypotheticals you want but they don't dispute the truth that i've already laid out. sorry, man.

Weak

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 24, 2014, 09:52:00 AM »
I would be pretty pissed if Shane did it, too. I wouldn't be as pissed because really all Roehleder should be doing in the pregame is chasing down the balls for the players on the team who are actually getting ready to play a basketball game. I'd still be pissed, though.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2014, 10:05:28 AM »
:awesomethread

:popcorn:

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 24, 2014, 10:29:39 AM »

Mike Decourcey(sp??) was on 810 this morning and he said that is exactly the reason the rule was put in place. Back when basketball goals were made out of wood and peachbaskets they didn't want someone to damage or break the goal which would obviously delay the game.  He says now with breakaway rims it's nearly impossible to break a backboard these days and that technology has passed that rule by.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2014, 10:33:12 AM »

Mike Decourcey(sp??) was on 810 this morning and he said that is exactly the reason the rule was put in place. Back when basketball goals were made out of wood and peachbaskets they didn't want someone to damage or break the goal which would obviously delay the game.  He says now with breakaway rims it's nearly impossible to break a backboard these days and that technology has passed that rule by.

Never forget the night Chocolate Thunder (that's what he called himself for you hypersensitive variation on Godwin's law types) broke the backboard at Municipal Auditorium. 

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 24, 2014, 10:36:19 AM »

Never forget the night Chocolate Thunder (that's what he called himself for you hypersensitive variation on Godwin's law types) broke the backboard at Municipal Auditorium. 

Well if you let someone from planet Lovetron play on earth courts, that is what is going to happen

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 24, 2014, 10:40:15 AM »

MIR may have been implying that there are way more 37 year old soccer moms here on goEMAW.com than many of us realize

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 24, 2014, 10:43:40 AM »

Well if you let someone from planet Lovetron play on earth courts, that is what is going to happen

Pfft, I think that pretty much goes without saying doesn't it Chi?

Let's take a look.  I made the starting point with his dunk over Walton, because I'd really like to hear the great and fabulous Bill Walton wax nostalgic on CT's dunk, and CT's game overall. 

http://youtu.be/-sYJ2ItXiRo?t=1m35s

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 24, 2014, 12:21:45 PM »
Glad the refs didn't enforce that rule back when clams and I used to ball.  :2handedrimrattler

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2014, 08:55:56 PM »

Decourcey as usual is an idiot. I've seen a high schooler break a backboard; lets see what happens when we see guys 6'7" 255 with 6 percent body fat dunking as hard as they can undefended every night.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 24, 2014, 08:58:37 PM »

MIR may have been implying that there are way more 37 year old soccer moms here on goEMAW.com than many of us realize

When we talk about these things I usually speak from first hand experience and keeping with that, I don't think Shane would have too many problems with 37 year old soccer moms, they generally would like him a lot :fatty:

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 24, 2014, 09:03:10 PM »
It's not like teams are going to have dunk contests in pre-game. It's a dumb rough ridin' rule. Period.