Author Topic: K-State vs the Blue JYCs  (Read 11545 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
K-State vs the Blue JYCs
« on: March 19, 2014, 11:15:50 AM »
During the heyday of Frank at K-State some fans wondered what JYC basketball would look like with a bunch of NBA players. Late Friday night we get to find out. Kentucky features a kenpom Top 20 offense (1.15 PPP) that cracks the top 10 in both oboarding (42.2%) and getting to the FT line (53.7%); many will say this team's offense is ugly, but its still very efficient. If you are scoring at a high rate, it really doesn't matter what it looks like. Calipari's team has made significant improvements from last year's team that lost in the NIT first round, but this is still his 2nd worst team since 2005 at Memphis.

The Blue Wildcats overall aren't a great shooting team and poor at shooting 3s, but they don't shoot a lot of them. Like K-State, they turn the ball over quite a bit and don't force turnovers at a high rate. They don't score off of assists at a high rate, but while I've read several say this means they are a poor passing team, I don't necessarily think that's the case. Calipari's teams never have a really high percentage of assists on made shots, but that's a reflection of having extremely talented teams. When players are that good, the offense is designed to create one on one opportunities and let your players make plays. This team happens to also draw a ton of fouls (though UK isn't a great FT shooting team) and some of that is probably due to the new rules. The fact that many of their points are scored from the FT line and from putbacks would also limit Kentucky's assist percentage.

Defensively UK is solid (#31 kenpom, .96 ppp) and like K-State their strength is forcing teams to shoot a low eFG% (45.0%, #22 kenpom). They don't force TOs at a high rate, but are solid on the defensive boards and limit FT attempts. They did slip slightly in SEC play; giving up 1.01 ppp against a league that averaged only 1.04 ppp (the Big 12 finished at 1.07). UK is very good at blocking shots, blocking 15.2% of opponent's 2PT attempts for the season (#12 nationally) while finishing in the Top 40 in 2PT% defense (44%). Opponents also shot less than 32% on 3s against them, but the SEC as a league only shot 33.5% from 3 compared to 34.7% for the Big 12.

This year's Kentucky was supposed to be the 2nd version of the Fab 5, with UK fans even printing up 40-0 t-shirts before the season. The Blue Wildcats regularly start 4 freshmen (bold below in the top chart). Callie-Stein did start more games than Johnson on the season, but Johnson started all 3 games in the SEC tournament. Polson is the only upperclassman that sees meaningful minutes and he doesn't play much. This is a roster that features 3 draft picks in this year's NBA mock draft and 3 more in next year's. Next to Kansas, this will be the most talented team according to those standards that K-State will face so far this season.

Kentucky is extremely long, so its no surprise that they are successful on the boards and blocking shots. 4 players have at least 156 FT attempts and all but Polson have FT rates above 40%. With the size of their guards, they make match-ups extremely difficult so the FT rate is not a big surprise. They also have tons of guys that can score with 5 guys over 20 PTs/100 and 3 over 25 PTs/100. 

K-State isn't likely to out JYC Kentucky, but they can't allow the 7-10% advantage that UK regularly gains on OR% and FT rate. If that happens,  K-State likely loses this game by double digits. Another key for the purple Wildcats this year has been 2PT%; when K-State shoots better than opponents on 2s they win 81.3% of the time, when they get beat on 2PT% they only win 43.8% of their games. The Cats will likely need to out-shoot UK on 3s and they should have an advantage there. UK plays at about the same pace and doesn't force a bunch of TOs; hopefully K-State can win the TO% battle and not give up a bunch of transition points. Besides KU, Kentucky's length and athleticism reminds me a lot of Baylor. K-State doesn't have to play a perfect game to win, but they have to play much better than they have since the UT/KU wins.This means shooting better than they have on average this season and winning TO%. The other factor will be how bad Calipari's group of NBA players wants to play in a 8/9 game.

Heart: Purple 68 - Blue 65

Head: Blue 74 - Purple 65

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: K-State vs the Blue JYCs
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 11:16:13 AM »
 :frown:

Offline SabiNation

• Katpak'r
  • USA Handball - Rio 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 11:34:11 AM »
crap
"If i worked for the NY times, and my boss told me 'hey. if you keep ranking ksu so high, we may fire you' i would tell my boss to 'bring it on.'"  -FFF

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 11:37:45 AM »
crap

think im goin #teamnobuckets on this one
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 11:38:57 AM »
STTB! :frown:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 11:41:44 AM »
We'd better be ready to just back door cut these guys into oblivion. Are they as bad at shooting free throws as Frank's teams always were? That could be the difference in this game.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 11:45:42 AM »
they might have more O-Reb than we have Total-Reb.

When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 11:47:32 AM »
We'd better be ready to just back door cut these guys into oblivion. Are they as bad at shooting free throws as Frank's teams always were? That could be the difference in this game.

They're slightly better than our team this year (68% vs 66%).
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 11:48:45 AM »
They are going to have 75 offensive rebounds against us.

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 11:52:26 AM »

We're gonna win guys  :gocho:

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 11:53:18 AM »
The only real thing giving me hope at this point is the short line that the books are offering...

There MUST be some reason the books are almost begging for UK $$$.

:dunno:
bears are fast...

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 11:53:37 AM »
crap
this mug has been wrong before, come on Cats don't be bitches.  i already gave you all the details from my dossier.
this crap is game set match, sons

throw out all the records guys because what we have is an experienced and seasoned k-state team matching up against a bunch of under-performing one and doners AKA the kentucky wildcats. 

our advantages will be highlighted early and often.  senior guard will spradling aka the jayhawk killer will take advantage of his mismatches and lead this team to a 1st half lead which is when the freshman star foster will come in and lead this team to a even bigger 2nd half lead. 

soon, freshman sharpshooter thomas will lead this team to great heights and attack the rim with emotional velocity.

in the end, the powerhouse tag team combo of gipson, johnson, and southwell will put the final touches on this game which will forever be labeled the Picasso from Manhattan. 

k-state 81
kentucky 74

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 12:12:12 PM »
The only real thing giving me hope at this point is the short line that the books are offering...

There MUST be some reason the books are almost begging for UK $$$.

:dunno:

Maybe we should all ask KIV for the lowdown.  :dunno:
@mikec2w

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
K-State vs the Blue JYCs
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 12:13:21 PM »
</3
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 12:18:36 PM by scottwildcat »

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 12:16:17 PM »
I don't like the match up. I know lots of people made fun the comment, but there was some merit to oscar talking about how we prepped well and took Baylor out of their stuff, then they just turned it over to their guys and Chery and Jefferson made plays. That's what basketball this time of year is about and I think Foster (and to an extent Gipson) can only carry us so far. Kentucky is full of guys with individual talent and ability and it will be tough for us to match-up with them.

IMHO this year we needed one of 2 things to happen to come close to matching plays from other teams; Shane developing into a more of a play maker or Jevon being able to finish/score. As it became clear that neither was going to happen consistently it made it more difficult for this team to beat better teams because they could focus more on Foster. That will be the case Friday night too; again winning isn't impossible, but if we don't create and make a ton of shots from our offense (#assistketball), UK's individual play making ability will beat us because stars matter.

That said, my outlook on the future isn't bleak because I think the potential to get better in that area is there with the guys we have on the roster, IMHO this year's team has been maximized and beating a really talented team like UK will be tough.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 12:23:12 PM »
stats are for dorks, go cats

Offline JohnCurrie is Weird/Gross

• Combo-Fan
  • Miss You Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 12:26:23 PM »
_Fan: Who does Spradling guard? and how fast will our bigs get in foul trouble because he can't stay in front of his man?

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 12:27:50 PM »

and how fast will our bigs get in foul trouble because he can't stay in front of his man?

Fast

Offline SEK_EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 12:28:17 PM »

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 12:43:07 PM »
They lost to South Carolina and haven't beat a tourney team since January.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 12:43:37 PM »
stats are for dorks, go cats

Man. Hurts.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2014, 12:46:28 PM »
I watched quite a bit of the UF-UK game on Sunday... Dykes talked about how Randle was only about a 40% shooter when they ran plays for him (P&R, post ups) but over 60% on OR's. Seemed like a strange stat for a guy that good...

Also, UK looked pretty average against UF for about 30 minutes. They were down 54-39 with 11 minutes left, and then UF missed 6 straight shots and had 2 TOs in their next 7 possessions (4:55) to let them back in it.

I think we'll win if we can avoid the 6-8 minute scoring drought that always seems to kill us. If not, we'll lose by 20.

72-66 Purple Cats

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2014, 12:59:13 PM »
_Fan: Who does Spradling guard? and how fast will our bigs get in foul trouble because he can't stay in front of his man?

Probably the lessor of the twins. I think the bigs will do a fine job getting into foul trouble on their own.  Will's issues on defense this year were more getting into foul trouble himself than getting beat.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2014, 01:00:13 PM »
Omari has 5 fouls to give and I expect him to leave them all on the court.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2014, 01:01:36 PM »
Omari has 5 fouls to give and I expect him to leave them all on the court.

Shut your face, Omari has buckets to get. He goes off for twenty. WRITE IT DOWN.