Author Topic: Teaching financial literacy in KS  (Read 2601 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: Teaching financial literacy in KS
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2014, 04:48:19 PM »
"Sometimes, you may move in for a nice firm handshake and be met by a closed fist"

"...now it is important to quickly asses if the fist is held straight out or slightly out and up as this will effect the way with which you should reciprocate, or receive, the 'dap'..."

"...recover in such situations needs to be fluid and seamless so you don't seem like some square who isn't 'hip' or 'with it'..."

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2014, 05:35:30 PM »

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2014, 06:01:32 PM »
I don't see anything about a handshake. If some libtard put that in as an amendment just to ridicule the bill, what an bad person.

I agree. There is plenty of ridiculous crap that the Kansas House votes on every year. This bill seems like a strange one to mock.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2014, 06:23:15 PM »
The fact that they are mandating it be taught and assessed but providing no other input is typical and huge LOL on the handshake part.  I think financial literacy absolutely should be taught and it should be a class with an actual curriculum required in high school.  That makes it someone's responsibility.

Actually, looks like the bill requires both overall adjustments to k-10 curriculum and a specific class in grades 11 or 12. Good. And while they don't insert a specific chapter by chapter syllabus in the bill, it's pretty specific on the subjects to be covered. Good.

http://kslegislature.org/li/b2013_14/measures/documents/hb2475_00_0000.pdf

I don't see anything about a handshake. If some libtard put that in as an amendment just to ridicule the bill, what an bad person.

It was a Republican from St. Francis and he was dead serious.  And everyone else agreed.  Again, it is good policy to insist upon financial literacy for all students.  It is likely bad policy to insist upon it being added in to state assessments and sprinkled throughout the curriculum because implementation and effectiveness will be very uneven.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2014, 07:03:23 PM »
do the dames get taught how to curtsey?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Headinjun

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2014, 09:21:25 PM »
http://www.kansascity.com/2014/03/19/4900637/kansas-house-approves-financial.html

Great idea in principle. Mandatory instruction is way overdue. They already have this in MO.

I do hope they include a provision that allows liberal parents to opt out. I'm also skeptical whether there are enough fiscal conservatives in our public schools to teach it properly. The part about teaching how to give a good handshake was pretty :lol: though.

Here's KSU always thinking conservatives have some sort of fiscal responsibility pedestal to stand on.  We saw what you did on credit last decade. Your brand is a buncha frauds

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2014, 10:45:30 PM »
http://www.kansascity.com/2014/03/19/4900637/kansas-house-approves-financial.html

Great idea in principle. Mandatory instruction is way overdue. They already have this in MO.

I do hope they include a provision that allows liberal parents to opt out. I'm also skeptical whether there are enough fiscal conservatives in our public schools to teach it properly. The part about teaching how to give a good handshake was pretty :lol: though.

Here's KSU always thinking conservatives have some sort of fiscal responsibility pedestal to stand on.  We saw what you did on credit last decade. Your brand is a buncha frauds

The difference, of course, is that (most) republicans seem to have learned their lesson, whereas Democrats don't even seem to be pretending anymore that they're in favor of fiscal responsibility. Also, conservatives, which are becoming more and more prominent in the Republican Party due to the tea party, were never in favor of the spending during the Bush admin. Just because republicans don't have a sterling record on fiscal responsibility does not excuse the democrats from being worse.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2014, 10:57:57 PM »

The difference, of course, is that (most) republicans seem to have learned their lesson, whereas Democrats don't even seem to be pretending anymore that they're in favor of fiscal responsibility. Also, conservatives, which are becoming more and more prominent in the Republican Party due to the tea party, were never in favor of the spending during the Bush admin. Just because republicans don't have a sterling record on fiscal responsibility does not excuse the democrats from being worse.

:lol:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Headinjun

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2014, 11:14:20 PM »

You've been lied too KSU, Reagan pulled the same supply side bs in the 80s.  Before you go Tip Oneil on me, Reagan had the Senate six years. 

Your favorite team doesn't have much of a higher platform, if one at all. 

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2014, 08:47:25 AM »

You've been lied too KSU, Reagan pulled the same supply side bs in the 80s.  Before you go Tip Oneil on me, Reagan had the Senate six years. 

Your favorite team doesn't have much of a higher platform, if one at all.

It's still great that we are taking an initiative to teach young Kansas how to invest their money and not wreck their lives with bad debt. I really don't see how anybody could be against that, at least in concept.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2014, 11:39:40 PM »
Will be interesting to see whether the left attacks this as conservative subterfuge for racism or sexism. 
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2014, 09:10:42 AM »
Will be interesting to see whether the left attacks this as conservative subterfuge for racism or sexism.

So far, they mainly seem to be criticizing it from a school funding perspective: "oh sure, Brownback wants to cut school finding but also wants our poor teachers to teach more mandatory classes." Indeed, this is likely such a foreign concept to many teachers that I suspect some additional training will be necessary.

But I suspect the real reason that libtards are upset about teaching fiscal responsibility to students is that it might make them less dependent on the government and start questioning why the federal government can't run a balanced budget when everybody else has to.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2014, 09:14:33 AM »

So far, they mainly seem to be criticizing it from a school funding perspective: "oh sure, Brownback wants to cut school finding but also wants our poor teachers to teach more mandatory classes." Indeed, this is likely such a foreign concept to many teachers that I suspect some additional training will be necessary.

But I suspect the real reason that libtards are upset about teaching fiscal responsibility to students is that it might make them less dependent on the government and start questioning why the federal government can't run a balanced budget when everybody else has to.

I would like to see our schools adequately funded, too.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2014, 10:02:19 AM »

I think teaching financial literacy in schools is really important and long overdue.  It will really piss me off if it isn't treated as a serious exercise.  And a former teacher and administrator throwing on a rider about handshakes should provide some clue about some of the clowns that are in charge of teaching your kid.  I believe that teachers tend to be competent, but there are a lot of them and even assuming a normal distribution of talent would dictate that the more guidance and curricular standards provided on what/how to teach financial literacy the better. 

TL;DR
If financial literacy is NOT important, then don't teach it.
If financial literacy IS important, make every effort to teach it well.
If teachers are competent, provide them with a clear goal and let them teach.
If teachers are INcompetent provide them with a clear goal, training, curricular resources and fire them if they can't teach.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2014, 02:49:04 PM »
The KS legislature is on a hot streak.

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/03/21/4905435/kansas-senate-committee-votes.html. About damn time these idiotic "green energy" standards are repealed. All they were good for was jacking up electricity bills and erecting sprawling, inefficient wind farms.

And then there's http://m.kansascity.com/?cu=spreed%3A%2F15988409%2F29903870, a bill linking legislator pay to 80% of average school teacher pay.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2014, 03:44:32 PM »
I would love to be a handshake teacher.  I would teach a ton of fun ones