Author Topic: What was the initial call at the end?  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Pendergast

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
What was the initial call at the end?
« on: March 08, 2014, 03:07:43 PM »
Did they make an initial call?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: What was the initial call at the end?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 09:25:25 PM »
Yes, they didn't think that Franklin??? touched the ball. If he didn't we would have had the ball under our basket with enough time to catch and shoot. Hustling to touch that ball was an amazing play, and truth be told the game should have ended there, there is no way that touching that ball and the ball traveling to the floor only took .1 sec.

Offline Pendergast

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 09:42:42 PM »
That's what I thought.  In my opinion there's no way to reverse the call, you simply cannot tell if his foot touched that photographer.  Agreed if he got to the ball cleanly the clock should have run out.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 10:25:19 PM »
That's what I thought.  In my opinion there's no way to reverse the call, you simply cannot tell if his foot touched that photographer.  Agreed if he got to the ball cleanly the clock should have run out.

his foot touching the photographer is inconsequential, the questions were did the ball hit out of bounds before it was touched and did his foot touch the line before he launched in the air. The answer was obviously no to both.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 11:13:11 PM »
i never thought about the photographer being out of bounds, i just assumed the player had to contact the floor.  i didn't know the rule, so i had to go look it up.

A player is out of bounds when he touches the floor or any object other than another player on
or outside the boundary line. Another person is also not considered to be an object, thus the
player is not out of bounds.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 11:52:32 PM »
i never thought about the photographer being out of bounds, i just assumed the player had to contact the floor.  i didn't know the rule, so i had to go look it up.

A player is out of bounds when he touches the floor or any object other than another player on
or outside the boundary line. Another person is also not considered to be an object, thus the
player is not out of bounds.

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=31503.msg1063224#msg1063224

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 12:38:04 AM »
yeah, i saw your answer, mir.  i still wanted to see the actual rule.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 12:40:12 AM »
btw, i agree that it was an amazing play. it was an incredibly drew ending.

Offline Johnny Thunderbone

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 12:40:29 AM »
I believe his foot hit the ground before he released the ball. If so, the .1 that ran off the clock is about right. In that scenario, clock would not run to 0. Either way, amazing hustle.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 10:55:02 AM »
I couldn't believe Drew almost mumped up the game in the exact same fashion he did last year @ Baylor.  .4 seconds just throw the ball up around half court

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 02:09:58 PM »
I couldn't believe Drew almost mumped up the game in the exact same fashion he did last year @ Baylor.  .4 seconds just throw the ball up around half court

How in the world would that have been Drew's fault? If he would have been culpable for that does he get credit for coaching the hustle that prevented the disaster?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 02:14:34 PM »
How in the world would that have been Drew's fault? If he would have been culpable for that does he get credit for coaching the hustle that prevented the disaster?

i assume drew called for the length of court pass.  it was a ridiculous, stupid play.  much higher risk for extremely small potential reward.

the fact that kstate recently beat them on a similar play makes it much, much funnier (drewier), but not stupider.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 02:17:01 PM »

i assume drew called for the length of court pass.  it was a ridiculous, stupid play.  much higher risk for extremely small potential reward.

the fact that kstate recently beat them on a similar play makes it much, much funnier (drewier), but not stupider.

then it would be the first inbound play in college basketball history with only one option

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 02:22:58 PM »
then it would be the first inbound play in college basketball history with only one option

it shouldn't have been an option.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 02:24:20 PM »

You tell the guy in bounding to throw it high up to around midcourt.  KSU would have to cleanly catch and instantly shoot a half court shot.  You tell him his pass has to have 0 risk of going out of bounds.  Even if he thought he had the guy deep, it was a very high risk play.  Drew is absolutely to blame if they lost the way it played out

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 02:31:26 PM »

we'll agree to disagree, you can't eliminate a good basketball play because you're afraid a division 1 player can't execute that pass, it really isn't hard

You tell the guy in bounding to throw it high up to around midcourt.  KSU would have to cleanly catch and instantly shoot a half court shot.  You tell him his pass has to have 0 risk of going out of bounds.  Even if he thought he had the guy deep, it was a very high risk play.  Drew is absolutely to blame if they lost the way it played out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgWnjhQsSzw

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 03:30:06 PM »

we'll agree to disagree, you can't eliminate a good basketball play because you're afraid a division 1 player can't execute that pass, it really isn't hard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgWnjhQsSzw

I'm not saying its impossible, but its unlikely as hell (also, am not sure the ball got off in .4). 

Basically, you touch the ball and the game is over.  Throwing full court passes to a guy on the run makes it difficult to touch the ball and that option shouldn't have been in play.  Hell, Baylor could have rolled the ball in play and forced someone to pick it up/shoot in .4 seconds.  Would have been a much better play than what they ran.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2014, 04:28:23 PM »

you're right, it's not that hard, and whoever threw the pass threw a really poor pass.  but it's still an unacceptable risk.  if you're dying to throw it the length of the court, put austin on the baseline to make sure nothing gets past him without going out of bounds.  hell, put austin on side and jefferson on the other. put your whole rough ridin' team down there.  you don't need to break a guy out running - you just need to touch (preferably catch) the ball, not get a breakaway.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 05:31:31 PM »
I think we all agree for the most part, I just feel like the burden should be placed on the person tasked in executing the play.

Hell, Baylor could have rolled the ball in play and forced someone to pick it up/shoot in .4 seconds.

I've been dumbfounded for years as to why players don't do this, or throw a bounce pass, or just peg a defender with the ball.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 06:54:47 PM »
I think we all agree for the most part, I just feel like the burden should be placed on the person tasked in executing the play.

Hell, Baylor could have rolled the ball in play and forced someone to pick it up/shoot in .4 seconds.

I've been dumbfounded for years as to why players don't do this, or throw a bounce pass, or just peg a defender with the ball.

Yea, I blame the coach.  Another thought:  Why not have someone right next to the inbounds guy to get the ball?  Worst case they have to cover the inbounds guy.  You hit it off him and try to keep it in play.  Even if it goes out of bounds, KSU tries for a tip while inbounding behind the basket with .2 left or whatever.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 09:32:56 PM »

Yea, I blame the coach.  Another thought:  Why not have someone right next to the inbounds guy to get the ball?  Worst case they have to cover the inbounds guy.  You hit it off him and try to keep it in play.  Even if it goes out of bounds, KSU tries for a tip while inbounding behind the basket with .2 left or whatever.
The end of regulation of the Virginia/Maryland game is exactly why coaches don't find that an appealing option