Author Topic: True Detective Finale Thread  (Read 59884 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: True Detective Finale Thread
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2014, 02:59:47 PM »
I loved the outpouring of emotion from MMc about his daughter and father.

emmy moment

his seemingly spiritual finding at the end could be considered a small plot twist.

His delivery was amazing, but it was too cliche for me to take his transformation seriously. Although if there is a twist, it's an HBO show touching on an atheist becoming a theist.
I don't know if I would call his transformation a "theist" moment per se.  He transformed from a pessimist to be certain, but I don't know if his saying something to the effect of "i felt my daughter's love" indicates that believes in God.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2014, 03:02:39 PM »
I guess that's true. I assumed that if one believes in some sort of afterlife then one would have to believe in some sort of God.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2014, 03:07:22 PM »
I guess that's true. I assumed that if one believes in some sort of afterlife then one would have to believe in some sort of God.
I don't even know if he was implying she still existed.  Just that he felt (remembered?) her love in that moment.

Who knows.  One part of that show that always bugged me was all the existential bullshit that viewers have to wade through.  Nobody talks like that.

Enjoyed the show overall though.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2014, 03:58:49 PM »

emmy moment

his seemingly spiritual finding at the end could be considered a small plot twist.

His delivery was amazing, but it was too cliche for me to take his transformation seriously. Although if there is a twist, it's an HBO show touching on an atheist becoming a theist.

after hearing his Oscar's speech I'm convinced that MM insisted that something like this be included for Cohle.

Unless he was involved with the creation of this show, I doubt he has much say in the character's development. That's a pretty big jump to take and I doubt the writers of the show would be okay with their creation being changed to that magnitude. And it just seemed like a natural conclusion for the show. Would have been pretty lame if they show him sitting in the hospital staring off and thinking only to have him smoke a cigarette with Marty and then have Marty sneak him out.

Woody and Matthew are both executive producers, I don't think it would be outside of the realm of possibility for those guys to have some say as to how their characters developed, as a matter of fact with actors of that stature doing a television show, I'd expect them to. Also if MM waned to develop this spiritual awakening in Cohle, just a theory, that doesn't mean that required the season to end that way. The season could have ended with Marty leaving his room and telling Rust to never change while they flipped each other off & that would have been satisfactory.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2014, 05:32:35 PM »
I didn't realize they were executive producers. You're probably right about McConny putting that in there.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2014, 05:35:45 PM »
i read that MM was the first to sign on and basically got this thing on tv, but he wanted to play marty and not rust.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2014, 06:49:02 PM »
it was an amazing finale. the lack of a twist made the ongoing crazy theories that people came up with even funnier.
emaw

catzacker

« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2014, 07:05:40 PM »
At first, I was kind of pissed at the ending.  A bit cliché, with MM showing some optimism from his self-proclaimed pessimistic point of view on life.  I kind of thought they should have had an additional episode, kind of seemed like they rushed into it ..... "oh, look at this photo, green ears, tax records, hey, let's go to this house".  I wanted some sort of better description of all the crazy crap. 

And then I thought about Samuel L. Jackson's description of why he said that bible verse in Pulp Fiction "I just thought it was some cold-blooded crap to say to a [redacted] before I popped a cap in his ass".  And, like, then I'm thinking why explain crazy; what possible explanation would satisfy me as to why a guy would target women, children and torture, rape, mutilate them for personal pleasure.  Because the explanation of the yellow king, the rough ridin' weird redneck wood things, all of it,  is that he's mumped in the head.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2014, 07:51:34 PM »

i read that MM was the first to sign on and basically got this thing on tv, but he wanted to play marty and not rust.

Not quite. They wanted MM to be Marty, but after reading the first script he asked to be Rust.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2014, 07:52:56 PM »
that matthew dude is a smart guy
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2014, 09:11:27 PM »
just watched it again, enjoyed it even more the second time. errol childress is a pretty epic bad guy, wish we could have seen more of him.

Offline Matt Siebrant's Left Hand

• Combo-Fan
  • I'm a Cat person
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2014, 09:30:54 PM »

emmy moment

I don't know if I would call his transformation a "theist" moment per se.  He transformed from a pessimist to be certain, but I don't know if his saying something to the effect of "i felt my daughter's love" indicates that believes in God.
They touch on this with the behind the scenes segment: http://youtu.be/cE2n-nwiqDs?t=3m57s

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2014, 09:43:04 PM »
Why did he kill his dog?  :frown:
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Matt Siebrant's Left Hand

• Combo-Fan
  • I'm a Cat person
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2014, 10:33:01 PM »
It's serial killer 101 to kill dogs/domesticated animals.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2014, 11:20:44 PM »
One part of that show that always bugged me was all the existential bullshit that viewers have to wade through.  Nobody talks like that.

I have heard of one type of person who talks like that...people who see rough ridin' visions.  Just last night on Cosmos they provided a perfect example in Giordano Bruno.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2014, 11:58:41 PM »

Seriously :(

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2014, 12:00:35 AM »

i didn't realize he killed it, I thought he hit the dog with a frying pan

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2014, 02:54:26 AM »

i didn't realize he killed it, I thought he hit the dog with a frying pan

When Marty pushes the house door open the dog runs out, past Rust, to Childress. Childress kills it, I assume so they can't follow the noise to find him.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2014, 08:53:06 AM »
where did the boat come from?
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2014, 08:56:32 AM »
I think they stole it.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2014, 08:57:26 AM »
But what was the second boat?

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2014, 09:06:50 AM »
man, what a great show.  HBO being a boss as usual. 

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2014, 02:05:42 AM »
At first, I was kind of pissed at the ending.  A bit cliché, with MM showing some optimism from his self-proclaimed pessimistic point of view on life.  I kind of thought they should have had an additional episode, kind of seemed like they rushed into it ..... "oh, look at this photo, green ears, tax records, hey, let's go to this house".  I wanted some sort of better description of all the crazy crap. 

And then I thought about Samuel L. Jackson's description of why he said that bible verse in Pulp Fiction "I just thought it was some cold-blooded crap to say to a [redacted] before I popped a cap in his ass".  And, like, then I'm thinking why explain crazy; what possible explanation would satisfy me as to why a guy would target women, children and torture, rape, mutilate them for personal pleasure.  Because the explanation of the yellow king, the rough ridin' weird redneck wood things, all of it,  is that he's mumped in the head.

Good post Zack

Offline SabiNation

• Katpak'r
  • USA Handball - Rio 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2014, 01:53:31 PM »
Finally watched it.  Loved the show.  Thought they ended it about as well as a mini-series can wrap up story (quick storylines, etc).

Agree with 'blast that I wish we would have dealt with Errol more.  He was great.  What about Errol's dad?  Why did he keep him alive in such a brutal capacity?
"If i worked for the NY times, and my boss told me 'hey. if you keep ranking ksu so high, we may fire you' i would tell my boss to 'bring it on.'"  -FFF

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2014, 01:57:58 PM »
Finally watched it.  Loved the show.  Thought they ended it about as well as a mini-series can wrap up story (quick storylines, etc).

Agree with 'blast that I wish we would have dealt with Errol more.  He was great.  What about Errol's dad?  Why did he keep him alive in such a brutal capacity?

Was he alive or dead? One article I read referred to him as being dead.