General Discussion > Essentially Flyertalk

Master Submarine Thread

<< < (2/95) > >>

cDubya:

--- Quote from: mocat on February 06, 2014, 12:52:31 PM ---
--- Quote from: cDubya on February 06, 2014, 12:48:18 PM ---
--- Quote from: mocat on February 06, 2014, 12:37:46 PM ---is there a better submarine related film than the hunt for red october?

--- End quote ---
If you want realistic, and you won't believe this, it's Down Periscope. No joke.

--- End quote ---

so you would rate life on a submarine as a 5.9 out of 10?

--- End quote ---

Gonna have to see what 1, 5, and 10 are on your scale before committing to a concrete number here.

puniraptor:
das boot

IPA4Me:

--- Quote from: cDubya on February 06, 2014, 11:27:41 AM ---
--- Quote from: IPA4Me on February 05, 2014, 08:09:18 PM ---
--- Quote from: cDubya on February 05, 2014, 05:39:55 PM ---Working on a submarine and now having a young child have groomed me into someone who only gets/needs 4-6 hours. If I sleep 7-8 hours I am dragging ass all day.

I don't like it, but it is what it is.

--- End quote ---
How long ya been out? After eight years of standing watch, it took me a few years to get back to regular sleep of 7-8 hours. Thirteen years later... I need my sleep.

--- End quote ---

I got out in 2009, so maybe a few more years and I'll get back to 'normal'?

@Dlew- don't let me paint a picture of years and years at sea, I got out in '09 because of a jacked up shoulder (that still isn't fixed). But yes, submarine life is something that can't be understood unless you do it yourself. It's a whole different world.

IPA4Me - what was your rate? (If you don't mind me asking)

--- End quote ---
I got into better sleep habits probably 6-7 years after Navy when the youngest started sleeping through the night.

MM1 NUC. You?

IPA4Me:

--- Quote from: cDubya on February 06, 2014, 12:48:18 PM ---
--- Quote from: mocat on February 06, 2014, 12:37:46 PM ---is there a better submarine related film than the hunt for red october?

--- End quote ---

Better how? More. Exciting? More realistic?
If you want excitement, BT got it, U-571 all the way.
If you want realistic, and you won't believe this, it's Down Periscope. No joke.

--- End quote ---
Plus this description.

cDubya:

--- Quote from: IPA4Me on February 06, 2014, 01:21:21 PM ---I got into better sleep habits probably 6-7 years after Navy when the youngest started sleeping through the night.

MM1 NUC. You?

--- End quote ---

Ahhhh, a nuke. Got it. I was a TM3, or a MM(W) as they designate it now. Damn TM's never retire, PNA'd the 2nd class exam 3 times before my injury.

And that description you linked?! Priceless.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version