Author Topic: Tipping Bartenders  (Read 10586 times)

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
Re: Tipping Bartenders
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2014, 08:28:40 PM »
free drinks usually means you're an accomplice in stealing from the establishment's owner(s) (not always, and i don't know the %, but i think it's over 50%).  a small part of the immorality of tipping.
What would Jon Taffer think about all this?
I think this is similar to a story my Canadian friend told me. He and his Canadian friends would go the grocery store when they were in college and fill the cart up with food, including some high end steaks. This girl they (Canadian friends) knew would swipe everything across the scanner except she would have her fingers over the bar codes when she did the steaks. My Canadian friend said he still feels guilty about this.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2014, 08:33:38 PM »
free drinks usually means you're an accomplice in stealing from the establishment's owner(s) (not always, and i don't know the %, but i think it's over 50%).  a small part of the immorality of tipping.
What would Jon Taffer think about all this?

get out the bevintel, and see who's STEALING
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2014, 09:03:41 PM »
I've been known to tip for just Dr. Pepper
You know they have all the free soda they want, right? Try a hug. A hug from the king is worth way more. :D

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2014, 09:22:03 PM »
I tip every first drink so I wont have to wait as long for a second. for drinks...

every third beer bottle
every other draft beer
every mixed drink

I think this is very reasonable. It depends on the place though. If it's a place I frequent, I will tip more. If it's a happy hour special where stuff is ridiculously cheap, I'll tip on every drink. I don't think not tipping on every drink makes you a "cheap, miserable eff" at all. If I have change from a drink, I'll tip that every time, regardless of the drink.

I don't frequent coffee shops, so I don't know about tipping etiquette there. I I just order a coffee, how much am I supposed to tip?

I've also never worked in the service industry, so if I'm being an bad person without knowing it, please let me know.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2014, 09:47:39 PM »
If you frequent a place you should tip well there. I promise you'll get free drinks/rounds of shots out of it.

I usually just tip straigh 20%, maybe a little more or less for rounding when using cash.  However, when I get super drunk I'm not sure how I tip.  I often wake up wondering if I tipped well, or even paid my bill.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2014, 10:30:47 PM »
holy crap, some of you people don't tip for every drink? :sdeek:

It's a whole lot more surprising that so many people actually still use cash, imo.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2014, 10:38:08 PM »
holy crap, some of you people don't tip for every drink? :sdeek:

It's a whole lot more surprising that so many people actually still use cash, imo.

Well, yeah, but that's not as :sdeek:y

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2014, 11:34:12 PM »
You know they have all the free soda they want, right? Try a hug. A hug from the king is worth way more. :D
What about both?  :surprised:
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2014, 02:29:16 AM »
What about both?  :surprised:

seven pulls this move all the time.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2014, 02:30:04 AM »
 :gocho:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2014, 09:10:17 AM »
Most bartenders are living off their tips, so don't be a cheapskate you dicks. Also I've made friends with most of the service people at places I frequent so I end up over-tipping a lot of the time. If I'm in a place where I don't know them I tip $1 a drink or sometimes $2 if it has red bull. Anything more than 2 drinks and I try to shoot for 20%. If you are paying cash you will tip more this way, so it's better to just run a tab and figure the 20%.
There are lots of low paying jobs that don't get tips from you I'm willing to bet.

No other occupation makes $2.13/hour. So while he may not tip poorly paid people in general, he does tip the people who are compensated the least by a wide margin.
But see, why is it my responsibility to make up for his boss's shitty pay to a guy that decided to take a job that is easy and requires no education or difficult decisions?
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2014, 09:24:18 AM »
You've obviously never served, kitnfury. Not that that's a bad thing. It's just obvious.

Online KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2014, 10:14:11 AM »
You've obviously never served, kitnfury. Not that that's a bad thing. It's just obvious.
True, but I've worked in kitchens before. I also do tip 20% right now. And I will never question tipping waiters and waitresses. Bar tenders? I'll still always tip. Not sure a draft ore bottle deserves much if any tip tho. Sounds like a lot of people tip them out of sympathy. I don't feel sorry for their shitty wages, they picked their job.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2014, 12:02:06 PM »
No other occupation makes $2.13/hour. So while he may not tip poorly paid people in general, he does tip the people who are compensated the least by a wide margin.
But see, why is it my responsibility to make up for his boss's shitty pay to a guy that decided to take a job that is easy and requires no education or difficult decisions?

the minimum wage applies to food servers, just like it does everyone else.

the idea that people tip servers based on how much they make and some sense of injustice concerning that wage is laughable.  there are millions of people employed in the us who make less, work harder, and receive no tips.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2014, 12:31:17 PM »
For quick service, I recommend a low-cut shirt and some cleavage. (This sometimes also negates the need to tip with your own money.)

I tip every round, unless really drunk. And then I have no idea whether I tipped, but I generally wind up with zero dollars left when I get home.

If you pay for any drinks with with this approach then you are doing it wrong.

This.  Where is she going?

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2014, 10:25:33 PM »
#teamsys I don't tip anywhere/anytime. Pick a new job if you need money.

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2014, 10:41:48 PM »
jesus christ

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2014, 10:57:47 PM »

the minimum wage applies to food servers, just like it does everyone else.

the idea that people tip servers based on how much they make and some sense of injustice concerning that wage is laughable.  there are millions of people employed in the us who make less, work harder, and receive no tips.

then those people should quit their jobs and become servers. boom. end of thread. daris wins. sys goes home sad.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2014, 11:02:04 PM »
True, but I've worked in kitchens before. I also do tip 20% right now. And I will never question tipping waiters and waitresses. Bar tenders? I'll still always tip. Not sure a draft ore bottle deserves much if any tip tho. Sounds like a lot of people tip them out of sympathy. I don't feel sorry for their shitty wages, they picked their job.

if you order a bunch of the drinks at a bar, don't tip and think you are the one laughing at a loser then you are sorely mistaken. just an fyi.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 11:06:43 PM by rick daris »

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2014, 11:50:14 PM »

jesus christ

Why should I pay someone extra because they did their job? Very silly idea.

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2014, 12:17:32 AM »

jesus christ

Why should I pay someone extra because they did their job? Very silly idea.
Tipping really shouldn't be so hard. The service was good, you leave a token of your appreciation, and everyone is happy. Jmo, tho.

Online KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2014, 11:37:05 AM »

if you order a bunch of the drinks at a bar, don't tip and think you are the one laughing at a loser then you are sorely mistaken. just an fyi.
I never said anything if the sort. But shouldn't people earn their tip for being good instead of doing the bare minimum? I don't think people should tip someone because they decided they didn't want to do a job that requires thought our education. It's like people saying to tip first to get good service. That's ass backwards, the server should give good service to get good tips. Obligatory tips is nonsense.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2014, 12:00:35 PM »

I never said anything if the sort. But shouldn't people earn their tip for being good instead of doing the bare minimum? I don't think people should tip someone because they decided they didn't want to do a job that requires thought our education. It's like people saying to tip first to get good service. That's ass backwards, the server should give good service to get good tips. Obligatory tips is nonsense.

Your ideas aren't wrong they just don't jive with reality.  Take it up with reality.

Online KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2014, 12:10:01 PM »

Your ideas aren't wrong they just don't jive with reality.  Take it up with reality.
However I make my own reality in this case.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2014, 12:45:08 PM »
If you frequent a place you should tip well there. I promise you'll get free drinks/rounds of shots out of it.
This is correct.