Author Topic: Musical Theatre  (Read 7351 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Musical Theatre
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2018, 03:25:28 PM »
Phantom has some jams

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2018, 03:28:25 PM »
Actually good musicals:

#1: Something Rotten: if you love musicals you will love this one. Must see for musical lovers.

#2: Wicked: great music & story. Makes the Wizard of Oz make sense.

#3: Book of Mormon: Hilarious if you’re not easily offended. If you are, it’s still ok.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2018, 03:29:30 PM »
Les Mis: good story and epic music but super hard to follow. Also takes itself way too seriously. B-

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2018, 03:41:30 PM »
Lion King: opening is amazing and most scenes are pretty good, but new original songs are lame.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2019, 09:01:24 AM »
Hamilton today :excited:

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2019, 09:06:38 AM »
Meantime reviews:

Aladdin: obviously a good show. Like 90% of it is the genie though, so if they’re not OP it would be kind of a bummer (genie was awesome when we watched it). Original songs are good. Magic carpet scene was weird. Also, NO MONKEYS AT ALL if you can believe it.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2019, 09:09:46 AM »
Waitress: some catchy songs. Story is mostly depressing really although I enjoyed it overall. If you love pie you’ll leave hungry. Lots of pie talk.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2019, 09:11:32 AM »
Groundhog Day: Great show if you liked the movie. If you loved or are obsessed with the movie you’d probably like it less but idk.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2019, 09:13:09 AM »
Color Purple: it’s fine. Songs aren’t as catchy but the story is better than most.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2019, 09:15:45 AM »
Newsies: interesting mix between catchy and annoying with the thick accents, but overall good show.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2019, 09:16:30 AM »
Matilda: very good songs. Story is obviously popular although I just think it’s weird.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2019, 09:24:21 AM »
Rent: just watch the opening from Team America (“everyone has aids” song). My second least favorite storyline after phantom. The 2-3 good songs don’t redeem it.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2019, 01:11:39 PM »
Les Mis: good story and epic music but super hard to follow. Also takes itself way too seriously. B-
What about Les Mis is hard to follow?  :confused:

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2019, 01:30:36 PM »
It takes place over like 50 years, and there’s no one to tell you when they’re jumping ahead when you’re in the theater.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2019, 11:23:38 PM »

Hamilton: lives up to the crazy hype but doesn’t necessarily exceed it. The song for all dialogue is awesome and doesn’t feel forced at all like Les Mis does at times, but that also means you can miss some important storyline details if you’re not paying close attention. Definitely a bit of American exceptionalism which I am a sucker for when it comes to the revolutionary war. I also think that could push it to become a classic musical over time.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2019, 11:46:10 PM »

Hamilton: lives up to the crazy hype but doesn’t necessarily exceed it. The song for all dialogue is awesome and doesn’t feel forced at all like Les Mis does at times, but that also means you can miss some important storyline details if you’re not paying close attention. Definitely a bit of American exceptionalism which I am a sucker for when it comes to the revolutionary war. I also think that could push it to become a classic musical over time.
Did the length bother you?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2019, 07:01:55 AM »
Didn’t even notice tbh.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2019, 05:03:57 PM »
This is not the official musical theatre thread, it isn't even the real Hamilton thread   :curse:

Hamilton was awesome and overrated all at the same time. The music wasn't great. The rap was wack everything else not rap was very good. The king stole the show.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2019, 07:26:36 PM »
Miss Saigon: music is pretty good overall with some catchy songs. Story (partly) and music reminds me of Les Mis. Really not sure how I feel about the story. Not terrible but a little weird and a lot depressing.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Musical Theatre
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2019, 10:58:55 PM »
Dear Evan Hanson: great story with OK music. I think it deserved the critic acclaim. Not something I’d really expect to stay relevant 10-20 years from now, but that doesn’t diminish it for me. Some of the themes hit a lot more close to home if you’re a parent. Probably downright scary if you’re a parent of teenagers.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2019, 12:47:14 PM »
Dear Evan Hanson: great story with OK music. I think it deserved the critic acclaim. Not something I’d really expect to stay relevant 10-20 years from now, but that doesn’t diminish it for me. Some of the themes hit a lot more close to home if you’re a parent. Probably downright scary if you’re a parent of teenagers.

It was a sad commentary on modern society. If you'd use the right thread you would have seen that already :curse:

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2019, 02:21:49 PM »
I thought I remembered you posting about it somewhere, but this thread feels safe to me.

Also, I didn’t even find it all that sad. Thought provoking for sure, but ever society has some messed up stuff to deal with and this struck me more as a story about the importance of listening to people you care about.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2019, 03:59:55 PM »
I was stunned at how self-serving every single character was. Every interaction seemed like a transaction.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2019, 04:09:39 PM »
MIR, you're seriously so well rounded. You are very well cultured. You follow almost all sports that I know, Theatre, Politics, business, etc. I've always wanted to tell you how impressed how ITK you are with everything.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2019, 10:49:39 AM »
Thanks friend, I really just fit an odd lane so sports dork and theatre nerd. I don't watch movies very often. Took the kids to Frozen 2 and it was my first time at the movies since the day after Christmas. I only watch like 5 TV shows, and while not 100% musically washed, I'm close.