Author Topic: December jobs report: now with short term mortgage rate analysis from steve dave  (Read 15773 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
So last year I refi'd to a 15yr conventional at 2.8 apr with a lender credit that slightly exceeded my closing costs. How'd i do compared to now?

that's a great rate. I also got a 15 a couple years ago at rates that can't be found now. I should have just built a house then. COMING DOWN, THO!  :Woot:

I think I could have actually gotten 2.625, but opted for 2.8 and a few grand in my pocket. I don't plan on owning the house for more than maybe 5 more years.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
I heard the reason home prices declined was because baby boomers were moving into condos and retirement communities, leaving a glut on the market.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
I heard the reason home prices declined was because baby boomers were moving into condos and retirement communities, leaving a glut on the market.

'Grats on the condo, FSD!

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

A dozen posts about basis points on a 15 yr mortgage and you come at me with this?

Get the eff out ta here

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile

A dozen posts about basis points on a 15 yr mortgage and you come at me with this?

Get the eff out ta here

Still down today! What do you think will happen in the next two weeks?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
still dropping!

i read some experts saying it may continue to dip down below 4% (30y)

anyone disagree?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
still dropping!

i read some experts saying it may continue to dip down below 4% (30y)

anyone disagree?

i don't disagree that it (the average) may, but i don't think it's probable.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
It's pretty much guaranteed to continue dropping because I just refi'd.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Another month, another horrible jobs report, another drop in the completely illogical "unemployment rate" as more people give up.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304680904579368562158283286?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702304680904579368562158283286.html
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
This needs reposted.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Not a graph measuring percentage change in percentages, just straight evidence

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
got our 30y today at 4%

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
got our 30y today at 4%

they will start building your house before you get your mortgage? how does that work? just suitcases full of cash until then? or an omaha handshake?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
got our 30y today at 4%

they will start building your house before you get your mortgage? how does that work? just suitcases full of cash until then? or an omaha handshake?

we just gave them 5%. then if we don't fork over they just keep that and sell the house they just built us I guess :dunno:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
It's pretty common, even w/o the 5% down.  Many builders only require a few grand earnest money, sign a contract, they finance the build through their own construction loan, you finance and close at the time of taking possession at the end if the build and the earnest money is just subtracted from the loan total and the builder keeps it.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
It's pretty common, even w/o the 5% down.  Many builders only require a few grand earnest money, sign a contract, they finance the build through their own construction loan, you finance and close at the time of taking possession at the end if the build and the earnest money is just subtracted from the loan total and the builder keeps it.

that's exactly what I said but in english

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Is that different for homes >$1 million?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile

Assumed that your home value was higher so that 5% equates to more than a couple grand.  Also, was reaponding to puni's post.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Assumed that your home value was higher so that 5% equates to more than a couple grand.  Also, was reaponding to puni's post.

I know, I was just messing with you

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile

No clue.  I would imagine that most, if not all, of those are custom rather than spec, and that the earnest money would be higher.  Would guess that the construction loan/home loan sitch would be the same, though.

I thought you just bought a house.

Also, well done.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile

Not sure if this works the same way in all states, but in CA, you get a construction loan where the bank will release money to the construction company in smaller amounts as they reach milestones in the construction. Once done, the loan is converted into a mortgage.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

No clue.  I would imagine that most, if not all, of those are custom rather than spec, and that the earnest money would be higher.  Would guess that the construction loan/home loan sitch would be the same, though.

Also, well done.

I asked because my folks are building a custom home near Portland and they need to do the construction loan deal.  Wasn't sure if that was regional or because it was more money or what.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile

Not sure if this works the same way in all states, but in CA, you get a construction loan where the bank will release money to the construction company in smaller amounts as they reach milestones in the construction. Once done, the loan is converted into a mortgage.

It can work that way.  If it is going up in a new development where the developer is throwing up houses at the same time, its not necessary.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Also, well done.

I asked because my folks are building a custom home near Portland and they need to do the construction loan deal.  Wasn't sure if that was regional or because it was more money or what.

they do it both ways here depending on what your builder will allow. ours gave us the option to do either.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
got our 30y today at 4%

Mine was 4.5% (APR) with 10% down, but I took a slightly higher rate (like an 1/8th percent) for no PMI.