Author Topic: Can we accept oscar?  (Read 18183 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Can we accept oscar?
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2014, 03:33:59 PM »
Here's a question that was brought up last night that really made me think (thanks stud boss John Kurtz): If Weber took a job somewhere else after this season, knowing Currie was going to make the new hire, would you be happy (assuming it wasn't Pearl, of course)?

At this point, today, yes I would be.

Does that change if we make the NCAA tournament this year? Because thinking back I'm pretty sure that was the actual question.

That would change my answer because at that point I would expect NCAA tournament births at least until this freshman class is gone. If oscar leaves we can't guarantee they will stay which also means we can't guarantee getting players as good.

Offline BostonPancake

• Katpak'r
  • I'm all about the T in TSC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2014, 03:35:59 PM »
Here's a question that was brought up last night that really made me think (thanks stud boss John Kurtz): If Weber took a job somewhere else after this season, knowing Currie was going to make the new hire, would you be happy (assuming it wasn't Pearl, of course)?

I would be upset because I think our freshmen would leave.  I really want to see what they can become.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2014, 05:57:09 PM »
He's done much better than expected, but I think there are three benchmarks that he has to meet before a number of BiDers (sans kougar24)/FENCErs fully accept the guy:

1. Have sustained success in the NCAA torn-a-ment (Round of 32 almost every year with years of Sweet 16/ Elite 8 sprinkled in)
2. Have consistent success with his own recruits
3. Not crap our pants every year in AFH

#2 looks fairly promising if he can keep bringing in athletes like Foster, Jevon, etc. #1 and #3 are what I'm the most skeptical about but there's still time for oscar to prove himself there. He's done a great job of helping turning this team into a potential Top 25 squad after the dumpster fire losses and the Angel defection to start the season, and I think that'll be enough to get some of the skeptics here (like me) interested again. That's a start.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2014, 06:00:24 PM »
I would really like some top 150 recruits at some point. I am very happy with Jevon and Foster of course, but I doubt he can get finds like that every year.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2014, 06:01:15 PM »
He's done much better than expected, but I think there are three benchmarks that he has to meet before a number of BiDers (sans kougar24)/FENCErs fully accept the guy:

1. Have sustained success in the NCAA torn-a-ment (Round of 32 almost every year with years of Sweet 16/ Elite 8 sprinkled in)

#2 looks fairly promising if he can keep bringing in athletes like Foster, Jevon, etc. #1 and #3 are what I'm the most skeptical about but there's still time for oscar to prove himself there. He's done a great job of helping turning this team into a potential Top 25 squad after the dumpster fire losses and the Angel defection to start the season, and I think that'll be enough to get some of the skeptics here (like me) interested again. That's a start.

number 3 has never and will never be of any significance.  Bob and Frank both experienced it.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2014, 06:06:38 PM »

number 3 has never and will never be of any significance.  Bob and Frank both experienced it.

I think #1 and #2 are very important and #3 is more of an added bonus. He certainly doesn't *have* to win there to get acceptance here, but you'd be kidding yourself if you think this place wouldn't go nuts if we somehow went in and upset them in Allen (especially during a year of sustained success).

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2014, 06:29:51 PM »
There is no such thing as sustained success in the NCAA Tournament.  The best you can hope for is consistently high seeds. Eventually you will get your deep runs. 

I've said it a million times if K-State could put the Frank run on repeat, I would be happy.

Seeds or NIT:

11, NIT, 2,5,8

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2014, 06:46:20 PM »
Wooly won in lawrence and indirectly founded LIVETRIM and we still shitcanned him.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2014, 06:52:43 PM »
Wooly won in lawrence and indirectly founded LIVETRIM and we still shitcanned him.

He certainly doesn't *have* to win there to get acceptance here, but you'd be kidding yourself if you think this place wouldn't go nuts if we somehow went in and upset them in Allen (especially during a year of sustained success).

i.e. we're not a CBE team that gets a fluke win.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2014, 07:25:48 PM »
I'm much closer to accepting oscar as one of us than I was a couple months ago, but I saw someone mention Gottlieb at the top of the page and it got me thinking. A fair percentage of the #bid'ers were or currently are proponents of Doug being the HC at KSU, and I think that's pretty humorous considering he was always defending Weber as a very good head coach on Petro's show. So, Doug is smart/awesome enough to be the HC at KSU, but is too stupid/lame to know who is a good head coach at this level? I guess if that mindset is the alternative then I'll just be #teambruce.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline theKSU

• Katpak'r
  • Team KSU
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2014, 07:26:24 PM »
oscar will win a lot of people off the fence after we win in Lawrence. Man that is the softest team Bill Self has ever had and it's a perfect situation for the Dobercats right now.

Offline FlyingIllini89

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2014, 08:21:24 PM »
You can accept oscar so long as you like the product on the court.  The biggest problem at Illinoois was his teams sucked and were boring as hell to boot.  If he is going to bring in guys like Foster and Thomas you are going to like the product on the court.

Just keep in mind Weber couldn't find anyone like Foster or Thomas at Illinois.  There is a certain amount of flukiness to his team this year.  I don't even think he was looking for guys like that for illinois.  He preferred Will Spradling types.

One last thing I will say:  Weber is solid at xs and os.  He just sucks at picking players.   But he is going to coach the pantsof guys like Drew and Ford.  Those guys are clueless.

Good luck this year, go emaw and don't give oscar another extension.  He may just burn it down again.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2014, 08:32:01 PM »
I'm much closer to accepting oscar as one of us than I was a couple months ago, but I saw someone mention Gottlieb at the top of the page and it got me thinking. A fair percentage of the #bid'ers were or currently are proponents of Doug being the HC at KSU, and I think that's pretty humorous considering he was always defending Weber as a very good head coach on Petro's show. So, Doug is smart/awesome enough to be the HC at KSU, but is too stupid/lame to know who is a good head coach at this level? I guess if that mindset is the alternative then I'll just be #teambruce.

Remember LOL'n about the "couldn't find anyone with a bad thing to say about oscar" stuff?

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2014, 08:38:43 PM »

Remember LOL'n about the "couldn't find anyone with a bad thing to say about oscar" stuff?

I must have missed that, is that what Gottlieb said when Weber was hired?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2014, 09:07:18 PM »

No, it's what currie said about hiring oscar and we all lol'd about what a stupid talking point that was because hoops people aren't going to talk bad about hoops people, at least not while publicly real-life @'n them.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2014, 09:32:39 PM »
@kfvsnews: Todd Richards here. SIU Sports Info Director tells me basketball team will spend night on  bus after getting stuck in a ditch near Champaign

:frown:

Offline Wildcatsfan4248

• Fan
  • Bleed Purple.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2014, 09:34:31 PM »
Just finished watching the Wake Forest-UNC game. I never thought I would find a collegiate head basketball coach more awkward than Brucie until I watched the halftime and post game interviews of Jeff Bzdelik.  My lord is that guy on another level of quirkiness. He said that one strength in the first half was his team's rebounding, yet the Deacons gave up something like 15 offensive rebounds. He continued to mention it after they won the game. When asked how his team was able to hold of the Heels he went on to say they played "solid" and stuttered through how big of a win it was for "Wake Forest nation". He has got to be some sort of X's and O's savant because he can't spit out more than a sentence without getting confused. Also, one of the announcers mentioned they have 11 sophomores on the team. How would a program ever recover from that without some serious Brucings? Unbelievably enough, he makes me feel blessed that we have Weber at the helm.

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2014, 09:35:23 PM »
@kfvsnews: Todd Richards here. SIU Sports Info Director tells me basketball team will spend night on  bus after getting stuck in a ditch near Champaign

:frown:

They'll freeze to death
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2014, 09:40:23 PM »
Just finished watching the Wake Forest-UNC game. I never thought I would find a collegiate head basketball coach more awkward than Brucie until I watched the halftime and post game interviews of Jeff Bzdelik.  My lord is that guy on another level of quirkiness. He said that one strength in the first half was his team's rebounding, yet the Deacons gave up something like 15 offensive rebounds. He continued to mention it after they won the game. When asked how his team was able to hold of the Heels he went on to say they played "solid" and stuttered through how big of a win it was for "Wake Forest nation". He has got to be some sort of X's and O's savant because he can't spit out more than a sentence without getting confused. Also, one of the announcers mentioned they have 11 sophomores on the team. How would a program ever recover from that without some serious Brucings? Unbelievably enough, he makes me feel blessed that we have Weber at the helm.

Dementia?

Offline Wildcatsfan4248

• Fan
  • Bleed Purple.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2014, 09:46:15 PM »

Dementia?

Must be early onset. Very sad indeed.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2014, 09:52:09 PM »

No, it's what currie said about hiring oscar and we all lol'd about what a stupid talking point that was because hoops people aren't going to talk bad about hoops people, at least not while publicly real-life @'n them.

That's true to a certain extent, but hoops folk don't always go out of their way to defend other hoops folk. Gottlieb has always defended Weber beyond what I thought he deserved. Maybe it's because Weber actually is a pretty good coach (albeit an enormous dork), and Illinois really is just a shitty place to coach. I hope that's the case because oscar ain't going anywhere #teambrucetillhestartstosuck

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2014, 09:57:13 PM »

That's kind of revisionist. He did say he was a good coach, I never recall him calling Weber a "very good coach" but he also said his firing at Illinois was justified. I listened to an ESPN podcast in February of '12 right after he essentially said the team quit where Gottlieb, Dana O'Neil, and Eamon Brennan killed Weber for about 30 minutes. He was also critical of him pretty much all last season with regard to how he used the players especially JO. I took his praise of Weber as pretty general, and you can't expect him to kill the new head coach on 810 in Kansas City after he publicly lobbied for the job and then returned to the booth after he didn't get it.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2014, 10:05:23 PM »

That's kind of revisionist. He did say he was a good coach, I never recall him calling Weber a "very good coach" but he also said his firing at Illinois was justified. I listened to an ESPN podcast in February of '12 right after he essentially said the team quit where Gottlieb, Dana O'Neil, and Eamon Brennan killed Weber for about 30 minutes. He was also critical of him pretty much all last season with regard to how he used the players especially JO. I took his praise of Weber as pretty general, and you can't expect him to kill the new head coach on 810 in Kansas City after he publicly lobbied for the job and then returned to the booth after he didn't get it.

What I'm referring to was during his tenure at Illinois. Even when he was having some subpar seasons at Illinois, Gottlieb would continually defend Weber to Petro, and would extoll his virtues quite often. I haven't listened to 810 much at all over the past 2-3 years, so I have no idea what he's said about oscar when he was fired from Illinois or what his opinion of him has been while he's been at KSU. I just always thought it was odd that he would go out of his way so often to let Petro know that he was wrong about Weber.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2014, 10:07:20 PM »
Guys, lot of weird successful coaches.  Snyder is weird as eff.  For instance.

If he wins, who gives a eff. 

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2014, 10:31:43 PM »
Guys, lot of weird successful coaches.  Snyder is weird as eff.  For instance.

If he wins, who gives a eff.
If Snyder offered to give your kids a ride home in his van you'd think it cute... if Weber tried the same thing...