Author Topic: Flopping  (Read 17595 times)

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Flopping
« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2014, 11:47:39 AM »
haven't read much of this thread but...

I think flopping on a charge or a block should be perfectly acceptable. those are judgement calls and you should be able to sell them to the refs. however, I think flopping on a flagrant call or something of that nature shouldn't be allowed. for instance, if embiid (player chosen at random) throws his elbows up and misses smart (also chosen at random) by 3 inches and smart flops and starts grabbing his nose, when they look at the replay, smart should be charged a T for acting as well as embiid for throwing elbows in the direction. you can tell a flop from trying to get out of the way in those cases. especially with the nose grabbing.

if a player wants to flop on another call, or whip his head back like he is being fouled when there is a little contact, that's on the refs to get it right. they get paid to tell the difference. I wish our players were better at selling stuff like that.

basically, if you want to flop a charge, go right ahead. if the refs can look at it on replay, they should be able to give a T to the faker. I have no idea if this is actually a rule, I assume it falls under unsportsmanlike behavior, but ive never seen it called.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 21, 2014, 12:01:12 PM »

I think flopping on a charge or a block should be perfectly acceptable. those are judgement calls and you should be able to sell them to the refs. however, I think flopping on a flagrant call or something of that nature shouldn't be allowed. for instance, if embiid (player chosen at random) throws his elbows up and misses smart (also chosen at random) by 3 inches and smart flops and starts grabbing his nose, when they look at the replay, smart should be charged a T for acting as well as embiid for throwing elbows in the direction. you can tell a flop from trying to get out of the way in those cases. especially with the nose grabbing.

if a player wants to flop on another call, or whip his head back like he is being fouled when there is a little contact, that's on the refs to get it right. they get paid to tell the difference. I wish our players were better at selling stuff like that.

basically, if you want to flop a charge, go right ahead. if the refs can look at it on replay, they should be able to give a T to the faker. I have no idea if this is actually a rule, I assume it falls under unsportsmanlike behavior, but ive never seen it called.
:facepalm:

Flopping is ok if you flop earn a call that should be called. It not ok if you flop to earn a call that shouldn't be called and that should be a Technical. I have no problem if someone throws an elbow misses you and you flop because the other guy threw an elbow and that is worse and he should get a technical.

Basically rules of pick up basketball.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 21, 2014, 12:32:24 PM »

Flopping is ok if you flop earn a call that should be called. It not ok if you flop to earn a call that shouldn't be called and that should be a Technical. I have no problem if someone throws an elbow misses you and you flop because the other guy threw an elbow and that is worse and he should get a technical.

Basically rules of pick up basketball.

that's a rough ridin' awesome idea. pick-up ball. why do we even need refs? don't be such a rough ridin' soccer-loving idiot. flopping is bad for the game and if you can look at a replay or clearly tell someone is flopping, you should be able to call it. hockey refs call it all the time and the players are moving much faster and have sticks. why cant basketball refs call it when they have an instant replay?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26356

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2014, 01:30:47 PM »
I want Smart to hit him, hard. I want oscar to go to the locker room, return with a neck brace and for Omari to go off for 20 points.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 21, 2014, 01:35:22 PM »
i think nicname this weekend suggested a more baseball approach where you need to lean into the ball and take the pitch to get a call.  sacrifice is key.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 04, 2014, 09:29:44 AM »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2014, 09:59:49 AM »
The same people that enjoy flopping are the same people that say "I can't get into soccer because they roll around too much"

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2014, 10:09:07 AM »
The same people that enjoy flopping are the same people that say "I can't get into soccer because they roll around too much"

Any update on the Margarita Dip? :impatient: :D

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2014, 10:16:50 AM »
Just got a new PO in for Feb 24th  :cheers:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2014, 10:27:38 AM »
Just got a new PO in for Feb 24th  :cheers:
YES!!! :Woohoo: :cheers:

Offline massofcatfan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 04, 2014, 11:12:54 AM »
Anyone got the infamous clip of Smart flopping and getting a foul called on Angel during inbounds play last year?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 11:32:08 AM by massofcatfan »
I want to wake up in a city that never sleeps, etc.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 04, 2014, 11:43:38 AM »

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 05, 2014, 06:12:57 PM »

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 05, 2014, 06:36:41 PM »
i'm extremely curious to see how this newfound "i'm just gonna throw a physical tantrum" thing is gonna work out for him

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 05, 2014, 07:27:53 PM »
Every time he flops..... Eddie Sutton takes a drink.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #142 on: February 05, 2014, 07:59:25 PM »
Eddie can't even watch a full game.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 06, 2014, 03:48:29 AM »
Eddie can't even watch a full game.

He didn't look great on Monday night, I felt bad seeing him.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 06, 2014, 07:29:46 PM »
this play was a product of people worrying too much about flopping, woof:

http://deadspin.com/kyle-lowry-gets-boned-by-terrible-foul-call-runs-right-1517372539

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 06, 2014, 07:32:56 PM »

http://deadspin.com/kyle-lowry-gets-boned-by-terrible-foul-call-runs-right-1517372539

What on earth?

Also, ball don't lie.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 06, 2014, 07:38:06 PM »

Yep. Referees never missed fouls before the emphasis on catching floppers

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 06, 2014, 07:41:45 PM »

I have never seen that particular offensive foul call, ever. It's the equivalent of the KU game's double foul on a block/charge.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 06, 2014, 07:56:17 PM »

I have never seen that particular offensive foul call, ever. It's the equivalent of the KU game's double foul on a block/charge.

I don't remember which rulebook it was in; high school federation, ncaa, or nba and I don't care enough to look, but calling a foul on kicking the legs out on jumpers was a point of emphasis on one of those levels three years ago.

Also that block/charge call in the KU game was seriously the worst call I've ever seen, we didn't talk about it enough because we were down roughly 7 million points at the time. I would have loved to hear that explanation.