Author Topic: Nearby tropical destinations  (Read 10216 times)

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Nearby tropical destinations
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2010, 12:40:19 PM »
<----- researching Puerto Vallarta

This is the best place on the list.  Awesome awesome place.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 01:07:38 PM »

Damn, that almost seals it, because when Cire thinks something is awesome awesome, in reality it's probably awesome awesome awesome awesome.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2010, 01:09:12 PM »

Damn, that almost seals it, because when Cire thinks something is awesome awesome, in reality it's probably awesome awesome awesome awesome.

Explain the fact that he thinks the band Oasis is awesome awesome  :users:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2010, 01:14:14 PM »
PV.  Been there, but not sure why everyone is so over the top.  Maybe I was too cheap and did not go para-sailing/horse-back riding in the mts?  What was most awesome?  I liked it (don't get me wrong) but feel like I am missing something here....

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2010, 01:16:23 PM »

This is the best place on the list.  Awesome awesome place.

JFC shazbot! you guys.

I liked PV for the excursions, fishing, mountain horseback riding, great non touristy feel that you don't get in the Yucatan.  Great food.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2010, 01:23:25 PM »

JFC shazbot! you guys.

I liked PV for the excursions, fishing, mountain horseback riding, great non touristy feel that you don't get in the Yucatan.  Great food.

That wasn't meant to be an insult, you just seem like the type of guy that isn't easily impressed or excited. :dunno:

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2010, 01:28:21 PM »
oh, that is true.  PV get's me in gear.  When are you wanting to go?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2010, 01:30:04 PM »

This is the best place on the list.  Awesome awesome place.

JFC shazbot! you guys.

Well la-di-frickin-da moneybags.  I would probably love tuttle creek for at least a day if I had a mountain bike and a horse.  Awful answer.  Anyone want to bail him out?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2010, 01:40:38 PM »

JFC shazbot! you guys.

Well la-di-frickin-da moneybags.  I would probably love tuttle creek for at least a day if I had a mountain bike and a horse.  Awful answer.  Anyone want to bail him out?

i agree w/ non toursty feel.  good weather. some decent beach areas. cool cafes, restaurants, shopping, drinking areas. easy to get to. fairly inexpensive flights, good food, drinks, etc. seems like a good deal for someone who wants to go somewhere warm/beachy but only has a few days to do it.

where would you suggest?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 01:44:40 PM by Rick Daris »

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2010, 01:44:34 PM »
What's the travel time after the flight (i.e. where do you fly into and how long a drive is it from the airport to PV)?

Cire: beginning of summer (June-ish).

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2010, 01:45:50 PM »
What's the travel time after the flight (i.e. where do you fly into and how long a drive is it from the airport to PV)?

Cire: beginning of summer (June-ish).

airport is in pv. pv is around 300,000 people, so it's not a tiny town. depending on the hotel you stay at, it could be a five minute drive or a 35 minute drive.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2010, 01:52:48 PM »

JFC shazbot! you guys.

i agree w/ non toursty feel.  good weather. some decent beach areas. cool cafes, restaurants, shopping, drinking areas. easy to get to. fairly inexpensive flights, good food, drinks, etc. seems like a good deal for someone who wants to go somewhere warm/beachy but only has a few days to do it.

where would you suggest?

Agree with all of this.  Water is not good for swimming or snorkeling, but if you want to chill on beach not bad.  Much better downtown than most Mexican tourist trap downtowns, but honestly don't set the expectations too high.  The airport to hotel row is really short drive iirc.  I think that there are a lot more things to do besides beach bum than other similar spots, it is very safe and the cost is reasonable.  I just was wondering if there was something I was missing.  If you go out for a nice meal, don't expect to get off overly cheap.  If you go out for street food, or buy your drinks and drink on the beach, then it will be very cheap.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2010, 02:19:18 PM »

JFC shazbot! you guys.

where would you suggest?

Agree with all of this.  Water is not good for swimming or snorkeling, but if you want to chill on beach not bad.  Much better downtown than most Mexican tourist trap downtowns, but honestly don't set the expectations too high.  The airport to hotel row is really short drive iirc.  I think that there are a lot more things to do besides beach bum than other similar spots, it is very safe and the cost is reasonable.  I just was wondering if there was something I was missing.  If you go out for a nice meal, don't expect to get off overly cheap.  If you go out for street food, or buy your drinks and drink on the beach, then it will be very cheap.

Cheap is great, of course, but is it nice/clean enough that my wife will enjoy it? Mainly talking about restaurants and shops here. Also: beaches.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2010, 02:24:21 PM »

JFC shazbot! you guys.

where would you suggest?

Agree with all of this.  Water is not good for swimming or snorkeling, but if you want to chill on beach not bad.  Much better downtown than most Mexican tourist trap downtowns, but honestly don't set the expectations too high.  The airport to hotel row is really short drive iirc.  I think that there are a lot more things to do besides beach bum than other similar spots, it is very safe and the cost is reasonable.  I just was wondering if there was something I was missing.  If you go out for a nice meal, don't expect to get off overly cheap.  If you go out for street food, or buy your drinks and drink on the beach, then it will be very cheap.

Cheap is great, of course, but is it nice/clean enough that my wife will enjoy it? Mainly talking about restaurants and shops here. Also: beaches.

it more than was for me, but if it is a big concern to you and your wife then it's probably not for you.  :dunno:

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2010, 02:26:57 PM »

JFC shazbot! you guys.

where would you suggest?

it more than was for me, but if it is a big concern to you and your wife then it's probably not for you.  :dunno:

It's not that big a concern. She enjoyed Jamaica, and from everything I've heard, that's "dirtier" than Mexico. Just curious as to amenities from her point of view. Any of you take ladies to PV when you went, and did they seem to be enjoying it? (:ohno:)

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2010, 02:27:56 PM »
beaches are not good.

June should be a good time.

Agree with the streetfood/local scene.  There are nice hotels downtown that are probably a 5-7 dollar cab ride.  Cabs have fixed rates everywhere and there is a bus that costs like pennies to get around.

One of the times did a day trip thingy for like 60 bucks.  picked us up at the hotel, put us on a boat saw dolphins and crap along the way, parked at a secluded beach with open bar swimming and ocean kayaking and stuff.  spent all day, then ate an awesome late lunch of paella with fresh seafood, as in the mexican dudes snorkled and brought back octopus and stuff and grilled lime chicken and stuff.

stayed in old town both times.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2010, 02:38:22 PM »
True story: neither of us like seafood.  :peek:  Will we still find plenty of good eats in PV?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2010, 02:39:35 PM »
Yes, but many places do have a seafood flavor.  but of course they'll have chicken/beef.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2010, 02:54:02 PM »
i was surprised how good the food was down there.  loved it all except the raw chicken the one guy tried to serve me.  great seafood.   PV is cool b/c it just didn't feel as touristy as some places in Mexico.  the streets are really narrow.  flying into PV is scary because the moutains.  beach/hotels are a stone's throw from the airport which is right in PV.  fun to just walk around and check things out. 

there's some really poor villages just south of PV that are fun to explore. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Daddy Claxton

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2010, 03:18:37 PM »

uhhhh... what's fun about exploring poor villages?  Did you buy lots of Chicklets and make the kids shine your shoes for a nickel?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2010, 03:23:50 PM »

uhhhh... what's fun about exploring poor villages?  Did you buy lots of Chicklets and make the kids shine your shoes for a nickel?
nothing beats cheap prostitutes/drugs.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2010, 04:11:39 PM »
here I am frolicking with a baby jaguar at the PVR zoo.   For $10 you get 10 minutes to play with him and his tiger buddy.

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
Is "tropical" a non-negotiable point?

http://www.ksufans.com/forums/index.php?topic=50355.0
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2010, 04:33:36 PM »

Yeah. We already have other "non-tropical" trips in the pipeline.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2010, 12:41:17 AM »

Yeah. We already have other "non-tropical" trips in the pipeline.

it is GOOD to be kougs. :driving: