Author Topic: Nearby tropical destinations  (Read 10565 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Nearby tropical destinations
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2010, 10:37:45 AM »
Daris, are you going w/ the fam or by yourself?  Work trip? 

Rusty, just a warning - expect it to be cloudy a lot.  The weather in San Diego in June is suspect (suspect for San Diego standards)  meaning it is usually cloudy, at least until late in the afternoon.  Also, the water temp doesn't usually start warming up until July.  Just fyi. 

solo for the first three days. wife and three year old for the last three.

If you are staying within walking distance of the beach in La Jolla I would do that.  Otherwise find something within walking distance of the beach in the Pacific Beach or Mission Beach area.  If you don't really care to be able to walk to the beach I would stay downtown and just drive to whatever beach you want to each day.  

downtown seems lame. i would much rather stay on or a block or two away from a beach w/ little shops and bars and wear flip flops and stuff. sd said la jolla is really good for that and it sounds like you agree. la jolla it is. is there a specific la jolla beach area that i should be in or anything? landmark or restaurant or something that i want to be close to?

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2010, 11:04:12 AM »
The only place I've eaten at up there is George's at the Cove  http://www.georgesatthecove.com/  Would recommend eating there for dinner for sure.  Get a table upstairs and try to get seated about an hour before sunset.  I didn't spend much time in La Jolla when I lived there because I was a poor college student.  From what I remember the area around George's is where the majority of shops and restaurants are.  This is a decently long walk downhill to La Jolla shores which is the beach you'll want to go to up there.  Looks like there are a couple of places to stay near La Jolla shores.  There are handful of places to stay up the hill around George's.  Just a matter of if you would rather have a close walk to the beach and longer walk or cab to the shops and restaurants or vice versa. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 11:06:04 AM by Johnny Wichita »

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2010, 11:12:16 AM »
Hey, nothing wrong with San Diego, mich. Love that place.

Is "tropical" a non-negotiable point?

Yeah. We already have other "non-tropical" trips in the pipeline.

it is GOOD to be kougs. :driving:

Heh. Trying to do the travel-as-much-as-you-can-before-having-kids thing. Heard that's the way to go.

Besides, I'll give you one guess as to where one of the non-tropical destinations is.  :gocho:

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2010, 11:58:50 AM »
I've been to Sanibel in Florida, liked it.  :dunno:

Offline gokatgo

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2010, 12:14:25 PM »
don't get the all inclusive  thing...seems very homogenized, corporate, cruise shippish.  I'm obviously in the minority though.

Then again, I don't have a fanny pack, rubber watch or wear socks with my sandals either.

Don't these places make you wear a wristband?

Hotel Casa Velas in PVR gives you a woven bracelet, not some cheap plastic neon crap.    And everything is top shelf.    I say a couple ask for and receive a bottle of Blue Label at the pool.  No buffets, all sit down gourmet food.  Very elite, only about 70 rooms.

when I want elite I go to Vegas...I'm all about casual at the beach(No Shoes, No Shirt, No Problem)

not judging, just sayin

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2010, 12:17:49 PM »
Went to Miami for a convention a couple years back. What a craphole that place is (sorry Frank).

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2010, 12:41:57 PM »
Daris, are you going w/ the fam or by yourself?  Work trip? 

Rusty, just a warning - expect it to be cloudy a lot.  The weather in San Diego in June is suspect (suspect for San Diego standards)  meaning it is usually cloudy, at least until late in the afternoon.  Also, the water temp doesn't usually start warming up until July.  Just fyi. 

solo for the first three days. wife and three year old for the last three.

If you are staying within walking distance of the beach in La Jolla I would do that.  Otherwise find something within walking distance of the beach in the Pacific Beach or Mission Beach area.  If you don't really care to be able to walk to the beach I would stay downtown and just drive to whatever beach you want to each day.  

downtown seems lame. i would much rather stay on or a block or two away from a beach w/ little shops and bars and wear flip flops and stuff. sd said la jolla is really good for that and it sounds like you agree. la jolla it is. is there a specific la jolla beach area that i should be in or anything? landmark or restaurant or something that i want to be close to?

Mission and Pacific Beach are elite.  Rent bikes there with the wife and cruise up and down the boardwalk.  Very cool area.

Offline gokatgo

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2010, 05:03:17 PM »
For a day at the beach (towels, sunscreen, frolicking in the waves) you want La Jolla Shores.  If you just want to look at the waves, have lunch, drink some beers you want South Mission or maybe La Jolla Cove/Prospect.

Prospect is very elite, you'll need to wear a shirt
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 05:06:25 PM by gokatgo »

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2010, 05:12:45 PM »
For a day at the beach (towels, sunscreen, frolicking in the waves) you want La Jolla Shores.  If you just want to look at the waves, have lunch, drink some beers you want South Mission or maybe La Jolla Cove/Prospect.

Prospect is very elite, you'll need to wear a shirt
Like hell its elite then.  A shirt on the beach?  What did the Amish invade or something?

Offline gokatgo

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2010, 05:31:20 PM »
prospect is not a beach it's a street

a fancy street

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2010, 05:32:42 PM »

a fancy street
Can you see waves from the street?  If not then you are a liar.  If so, then NO rough ridin' SHIRTS!

Offline gokatgo

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2010, 05:50:00 PM »

a fancy street
Can you see waves from the street?  If not then you are a liar.  If so, then NO frackING SHIRTS!

give it a shot

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2010, 09:17:42 PM »
Palm Beach is not 16 and Pregnant.

In SD, if you want some very cool shops, surfer bars and general funky beach lifestyle, PB is the best.