Author Topic: Sporting KC Thread!! (Featuring All of MLS and sometimes Mexican Leagues too)  (Read 656171 times)

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
So how long until SKC sells Blessing?
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
https://www.sportingkc.com/post/2017/07/12/sporting-kc-defender-ike-opara-released-hospital-grade-3-concussion
Ike is out, grade 3 concussion. 

Also Texas State (Open Cup) Champs right?

I don't know who gave it a grade, but people ITK don't grade concussions anymore, especially not immediately after.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
EPB was awesome last night. I have almost full confidence in him going forward if he needs to start.

A healthy Besler, Ike, and EPB gives us 3 CBs better than many MLS teams have 1

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Benny had a ridiculous, shocking, really, 5 minutes. I've seen subs come in fresh and look faster than everyone, he looked like he was playing against high school kids, that was absolutely nuts.

I hope Ike doesn't play again until after the all-star game. That is the type of concussion that could end his career, just like Taylor Twellman. This guy is horrifically unlucky. Hopefully he can come back before the end of the season and be fine, I think he will be a prime selection for a call up for the fall WCQs, I thought he had an outside chance of being called up for the knockout round of the Gold Cup. I hope he gets his rightful selection for the all-star game and then Besler gets to be a replacement for Ike.

Latif acted like a complete donkey late last night, and Harris was right to chop him down. I thought it was hilarious that he asked to swap jerseys with Harris and Harris gave his up but didn't want latif's.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
yeah kind of soured the taste of an amaze performance

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
https://www.sportingkc.com/post/2017/07/12/sporting-kc-defender-ike-opara-released-hospital-grade-3-concussion

I don't know who gave it a grade, but people ITK don't grade concussions anymore, especially not immediately after.

I understand that the AAN has moved away from it, and probably for good reason if people were using a simple scale as a diagnostic tool or as a means for deciding when people should return to activity.  For the purposes of a press release, I think grade 3 works a bit better then "sketti brains."

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Benny had a ridiculous, shocking, really, 5 minutes. I've seen subs come in fresh and look faster than everyone, he looked like he was playing against high school kids, that was absolutely nuts.

I hope Ike doesn't play again until after the all-star game. That is the type of concussion that could end his career, just like Taylor Twellman. This guy is horrifically unlucky. Hopefully he can come back before the end of the season and be fine, I think he will be a prime selection for a call up for the fall WCQs, I thought he had an outside chance of being called up for the knockout round of the Gold Cup. I hope he gets his rightful selection for the all-star game and then Besler gets to be a replacement for Ike.

Latif acted like a complete donkey late last night, and Harris was right to chop him down. I thought it was hilarious that he asked to swap jerseys with Harris and Harris gave his up but didn't want latif's.

I haven't been paying enough attention, but do you know what Benny's chances are for continued USMNT play?  He seemed to do well when called up, and I wonder how his injury effected his Gold Cup chances. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Last night notwithstanding, he's been pedestrian this season, so I haven't read his name being thrown around at all. I have no idea how it went for him when he was in January camp.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Ike wasn't on the prelim roster so he wouldn't have been eligible to come up for the knock outs in the Gold Cup.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I understand that the AAN has moved away from it, and probably for good reason if people were using a simple scale as a diagnostic tool or as a means for deciding when people should return to activity.  For the purposes of a press release, I think grade 3 works a bit better then "sketti brains."

The thing they're finding is that no matter how "bad" the concussion is, the time table for recovery is relatively the same. Repeated concussions and prolonged symptoms are the measures of severity and those are not changed by how hard the contact is.

Calling it a severe or grade 3 concussion at this point is using expired ways of thinking and contributes to the public misconceptions about head trauma.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Yes, Latif's actions were a little out of line, but let's remember he's a kid getting his first taste of any type of international exposure. It's really not that different IMHO than the college kids that showboat a little too much in garbage time basketball or football games. And I'm sure most of us would tell someone to tuck in their shirt a little deeper if we complained about that.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
It isn't really the showboating that got me, it was unnecessary but whatever, it was handled. I'm sick of his diving and feigning injury, it's shameful, and last night it was 100% completely unnecessary.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Eh plenty of people bitched about the late dunk KU had against us in garbage time.  There are reasonable limits across sport to showboating. 

And Joda not to go too far down the concussion rabbit hole, lets remember it's a press release from the team, not a quote from his doctors on the injury.  I'm sure they are just meaning it to tell people that he got hurt really, really bad. 
As far as the scale system, I wonder if the issue became too many people using the scale to justify grade 1s getting back too soon.  As you say, the more we learn, the more it's for shocking how much we need to learn, but also how individualistic the treatment needs to be.  The example MiR had of Twellman I think fits really well into what you're saying about repeated impacts never given an appropriate time frame to heal.  I think people are going to say getting kicked in the face is bad for your season, and aren't going to have a lesson to apply to the general public.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
My problem is there is a serious lack of public awareness about the true nature of concussions and head impact and with it being a hot button topic everyone wants to talk about the misinformation and parrot it around as fact. And it being a team press release doesn't make it any better, the team is doing a disservice to their players and their medical staff to distribute information like that.

The reason we've gone away from the grading system isn't because it was being misused, it's because it has been shown to be an antiquated idea. Someone being knocked unconscious can have worse, the same, or better symptoms and outcome as someone who barely even noticed they got hit.

I know you didn't want this to be a concussion debate, but it is a subject I'm passionate about and I'm extremely disappointed in the organization for phrasing the report that way. The fact we are even talking about Twellman in this conversation proves the extent of misinformation out there. There are very few actual similarities between Twellman's case and Ike. Taylor, by his own admission had 7 concussions during his playing career. He also continued to play with the one that ultimately ended his career. Ike has only had one other concussion that I can readily find information on. That's not to say this one won't be a long term or even career ending one. We have no way of knowing unless we can see his medical records and find out he has a significant number of previous ones, or until we wait and see how this individual case reacts.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Let's go bearcats

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Postponed :frown:

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
My problem is there is a serious lack of public awareness about the true nature of concussions and head impact and with it being a hot button topic everyone wants to talk about the misinformation and parrot it around as fact. And it being a team press release doesn't make it any better, the team is doing a disservice to their players and their medical staff to distribute information like that.

The reason we've gone away from the grading system isn't because it was being misused, it's because it has been shown to be an antiquated idea. Someone being knocked unconscious can have worse, the same, or better symptoms and outcome as someone who barely even noticed they got hit.

I know you didn't want this to be a concussion debate, but it is a subject I'm passionate about and I'm extremely disappointed in the organization for phrasing the report that way. The fact we are even talking about Twellman in this conversation proves the extent of misinformation out there. There are very few actual similarities between Twellman's case and Ike. Taylor, by his own admission had 7 concussions during his playing career. He also continued to play with the one that ultimately ended his career. Ike has only had one other concussion that I can readily find information on. That's not to say this one won't be a long term or even career ending one. We have no way of knowing unless we can see his medical records and find out he has a significant number of previous ones, or until we wait and see how this individual case reacts.
Hey no big debate here, I agree that there should be some degree of precision in reporting.  I think it's great to bring new information into the conversation.  If you could post some research about the point about severity not mattering as much I'd appreciate it.  My understanding was that severity matters on an individual level yes, but that the repeated nature of head injuries in contact sports and not staying out of activities were huge factors in the recovery.  There was a sports ball player last year that was out half the season it seemed with concussion symptoms.  Was it Luck or another QB?  Anyways, it seemed like a decent hit, and a long road to recovery.  Oh and Dale Jr who was out forever with his concussion.  The thing that I always worry about now with head injuries is the number that are unreported or subconcussive hits that people don't recognize as a major issue and ignore it.  Hell for that matter when we see major injuries like Case Keenum and they're still ignored.  I got the impression with TT's concussions that some of them were unreported or under treated and that he had a high susceptibility to concussions.   

And I feel your passion.  At 35, with a crap memory, and random headaches from playing soccer and getting some head injuries, it scares the eff out of me what damage I could have done. 

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
so who do we want to win tonight? NE and NYRB are easily two of the more unlikable mls franchises

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
they're playing at a 4000 seat stadium on harvard's campus  :lol:

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Who ended up winning?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
RB

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Semi final draw is going to be on Facebook live, ussoccer.com and live tweeted from @opencup at 10am

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
SPORTING WILL HOST THE SEMI FINAL AND IF WE WIN THE FINAL. LFG :excited: