Author Topic: Sporting KC Thread!! (Featuring All of MLS and sometimes Mexican Leagues too)  (Read 653083 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Sporting KC Thread!! (Featuring All of MLS and sometimes Mexican Leagues too)
« Reply #10675 on: February 16, 2022, 01:57:14 PM »
got a new striker today, i've been kind of underwhelmed by the offseason moves, hopefully they pan out.  time for pete to win another trophy or move on

lol, come on man.

The TV deal is only better for cord cutters in the KC area, it's much worse for everyone else. I have ESPN+ so it's not as big of a deal for me, but being able to watch on television in addition to multiple streaming options was better for everyone else
A lot of Bally subscribers will still be in an area to get a broadcast plus cordcutters will get a free stream.  ESPN+ still works for people outside of the region.  I think it's a win for people trying to access games although I don't know what the money side looks like for the club.

Who is the new deal much worse for?

The deal is much worse for everyone outside of the KC area who watched matches on Bally's. So most people in the entire states of Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa, northern Oklahoma, and western Illinois. Again I have ESPN+ already so it's not as big of a deal for people that already have it, but most people in these areas don't, so they will have to add ESPN+ while still having to pay for Bally's on our sports tier. It's not as big of a deal as the cord cutters in greater KC not being able to see games the past few years, that was definitely shitty, although they did have the same choice we did, but it's definitely not as good as it was before.

Another thing about having Bally's that people outside of KC will have to get used to, and that they're definitely going to bitch about, are those games on Univision(TUDN). Those are exclusive national broadcasts, but the league let the local broadcasters simulcast these matches. They still will get to, but now the local market isn't everyone who got Bally's KC, it's just the greater KC area. So these matches, usually 4-6 a year and possibly a playoff game, will have to either be watched on TUDN, a channel a lot of people in this part of the country don't get, or they have to watch these matches on Twitter, yes Twitter. ESPN+ does not have rights to national broadcasts on TUDN or Fox. I have TUDN on DirecTV foreign language tier, and they do have an English language broadcast using the sap button, but it's a horrible broadcast and if I'm not home I can only stream it on Twitter.

I don't have to worry about this because, again ESPN+, but I worry about how well the Sporting KC app will hold up as a streaming option. I don't know how often you have used it in the two years it's been launched, but it's been absolutely horrible and that's without any video capabilities, that's a very new feature to the app.

They did a good job in making sure all their fans have some option to watch now, but the options are definitely not as reliable as before. They're also definitely losing money on this deal, so they should get credit for that. The deal with Bally's still had a year left, so they had to pay to get that and 38 The Spot has no where close to the advertising revenue that Fox Sports KC had when they made that deal before the bottom fell out on regional sports networks. I wouldn't be surprised if the team is getting nothing but the full share of their advertising revenue.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
that first game was not exactly inspiring.  Ndenbe should be an upgrade over Martins, but the midfield looks weak, Shelton/Zusi need upgraded also.  when i see Atlanta bringing 60+k to a game, and sporting sending STM's emails with cheap tickets for sale to our opener days away, wonder how long before SKC turns into a small market club that can't hang financially (i honestly don't know much about salary caps/league revenue's/etc)

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I know nothing about the team but my whole family is going to the home opener.

Is graham zusi still playing? Besler? Who should I tell my son to watch?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
m2, I'm not too bothered by it. Shelton isn't the answer at the 9 but there's a new signee if he's worth anything he'll push Shelton for minutes. Gadi Kinda makes space for the entire front 3, we really missed him. I think it's possible that the entire midfield won't be the starting midfield for the bulk of the season. Kinda and Hernandez will definitely be starters on the left and right, the 6 I don't know but we have a bunion billion options there.

KK, yes Zusi is there, Besler is retire. The guys to watch are Johnny Russell and Daniel Salloi.

I don't know if Zusi will start this weekend or not, I do think that eventually Ndenbe and Ben Sweat will be the starting fullbacks.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I would also look at some of the songs/chants beforehand.  There are a few that aren't kid-friendly but they might enjoy chanting along.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
If I had the wings of a sparrow
And if I had the ass of a crow
I'd fly over Houston tomorrow
And crap on those bastards below
crap on, crap on, crap on those bastards below oh oh
crap on, crap on, oh crap on those bastards below.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
oh when the wiz really gets juices flowing every time

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
hope the rain holds off, either way, i'll be there

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Ooooh KC Wiz
KC Wiz, KC Wiz, KC Wiz
Va-mos K-C

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
First game was a resounding success. Great stadium, kids loved it, wife loved it. Goal was scored right next to us, saw a win, will be back.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Yeah skc has it completely figured out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Compared to a Kansas state football game it is light years ahead in terms of family enjoyment.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I'm glad you and the clan enjoyed the match, but my God that was a dud, as boring of a win that you'll ever see

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Glad you all got to see a goal and a win. My first two games there were 0-0's vs Houconsin and it was still a blast.

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Off topic but I had no idea Charlotte's stadium was this big. This is impressive.

https://twitter.com/charlottefc/status/1500279923407302661

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
It's a plastic football stadium

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I'm glad you and the clan enjoyed the match, but my God that was a dud, as boring of a win that you'll ever see
Houston just refused to put any pressure on ball other than about 5-10 minutes in the second half KC had a ton of possession and had a couple decent half chances before the goal so no real complaints. The wind and the possession made it interesting to watch and I got to talk to my son about the movements and that was nice.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
holy crap, mexico  :frown:

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Oh my god

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
Compared to a Kansas state football game it is light years ahead in terms of family enjoyment.

That is understandable, but man, K-State games vs Chiefs games are also night and day. Royals games imo are the only thing that can be discussed in the same breath as SKC games in terms of family friendliness.

Glad you enjoyed it. I do think the family friendly atmosphere has mostly to do though with the type of person that goes to soccer games in the US vs practically any other major sport.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I also mean things like locations of concessions and restrooms etc.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Oh my god

I'm assuming this is referring to what happened at Queretaro on Saturday?

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
i watched exactly one video and noped out

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Oh my god

I'm assuming this is referring to what happened at Queretaro on Saturday?
Yeah, I hadn't seen this until mocat's post. Multiple people dead or seriously injured and seemingly no stadium security presence. The videos are horrific. Surely they have to shut this club down.