Author Topic: The Distance Running Thread  (Read 141365 times)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Re: The Distance Running Thread
« Reply #1175 on: February 07, 2017, 04:57:59 PM »
Also if he loses the race he may believe that he loses breeding rights to your daughter.

he better sandbag or risk having to up his dowry to get rid of her to the next suitor

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: February 07, 2017, 06:03:50 PM »
Trail running :love:  I would love to stay on trails year round.  Hopefully they will be clear after my half in April.  I'm ready to get off the road.

I just cant stand the constant pounding of my feet on the pavement. KILLS my shoulder too (3 surgeries so far). Also doesnt hurt that I could basically run a new trail here every day until I die.

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: February 08, 2017, 01:29:08 PM »
Can we turn this thread into one about all the carbs we are all consuming, kind of like what those swolecats have done with their keto crap?

Like man, toast for breakfast is awesome!!

Also, Coca Cola 25 miles into a 50K is like the elixir of life, amirite?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: February 08, 2017, 01:38:54 PM »
Wait, is a 50K a real thing? :horrorsurprise: I just ran my third marathon last weekend and it was my slowest one yet. Probably gonna totally change up everything about how I train. May never do a full again and might just scale it back and concentrate exclusively on getting fast. Or at least not insanely slow. Looked at the pictures from my race and they are LOLOLOL because you can barely tell I'm even running.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: February 08, 2017, 02:08:00 PM »
Wait, is a 50K a real thing? :horrorsurprise: I just ran my third marathon last weekend and it was my slowest one yet. Probably gonna totally change up everything about how I train. May never do a full again and might just scale it back and concentrate exclusively on getting fast. Or at least not insanely slow. Looked at the pictures from my race and they are LOLOLOL because you can barely tell I'm even running.

You probably weren't consuming enough carbs in your training.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: February 08, 2017, 02:12:30 PM »
treadmill running. probably been discussed before, but how often do you guys do training runs on a treadmill? i travel for work during the week, and the circumstances just aren't really great to run outside, so i have been doing my midweek runs on the ol' 'mill. it sucks. i put it at a 1% incline and tell myself that makes it more like running outside. luckily i'm able to do my long runs on saturdays outside back home.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: February 08, 2017, 03:49:58 PM »
Fats are the key to going longer distances IMO. 

Offline CatsNShocks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: February 08, 2017, 04:47:26 PM »
treadmill running. probably been discussed before, but how often do you guys do training runs on a treadmill? i travel for work during the week, and the circumstances just aren't really great to run outside, so i have been doing my midweek runs on the ol' 'mill. it sucks. i put it at a 1% incline and tell myself that makes it more like running outside. luckily i'm able to do my long runs on saturdays outside back home.

I only run the treadmill when I have to: too cold, too windy, storms, etc.
Maybe it's all in my head but I think the treadmill is so much harder physically than running outside.
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: February 08, 2017, 05:11:19 PM »

1% then sometimes kick it up to 3% for a bit.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: February 08, 2017, 05:11:58 PM »

Maybe it's all in my head but I think the treadmill is so much harder physically than running outside.

i agree with this. i think it's the monotony of it.

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: February 08, 2017, 05:39:19 PM »

Must be why I'm seeing those sticks of butter at the aid stations these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: February 08, 2017, 06:19:52 PM »

There is an annual event here that the running club I belong to puts on, it's a 25, 50, or 100K Trail Race (not all three, you pick one). Insane. They bus you to your start point and everyone finishes at the same spot.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: February 08, 2017, 07:22:06 PM »

You follow Cameron Hanes at all?

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: February 08, 2017, 07:29:52 PM »

That guy that shoots beautiful animals with a bow? Ewwww

You follow any actual runners at all?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: February 08, 2017, 07:35:59 PM »

The guy does 200 milers.  You sign up for one and I'll personally come cheer you on.

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: February 08, 2017, 07:41:29 PM »

The guy does 200 milers.  You sign up for one and I'll personally come cheer you on.

Wait, are you seriously making a sample size of one argument?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: February 08, 2017, 07:42:46 PM »
Are you making the argument that the way it is now is the way it shall be forever?

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: February 08, 2017, 09:31:36 PM »
Can we turn this thread into one about all the carbs we are all consuming, kind of like what those swolecats have done with their keto crap?
Traveling for work today and missed lunch.  But I planned ahead and grabbed an extra slice of mrstdaver's homemade breakfast bread on the way out this morning.  After checking in at HQ this afternoon, I cranked out 8 miles (6:45 pace :gocho:).  Just put down three beers, a huuuge burger, fried pickles, and a cookie.  Should sleep well tonight!

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: February 08, 2017, 09:40:29 PM »
I hate treadmills and go out of my way to avoid using them.  I plan my workouts so that I have a rest or gym day when weather looks like it won't cooperate.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1194 on: February 09, 2017, 04:55:18 AM »

i agree with this. i think it's the monotony of it.
Bluetooth earbuds and Netflix gets me through the work week treadmill runs.

I have a friend that trains for ultras on the mill. He's a bit nuts but he runs a sub 19 100 milers.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1195 on: February 09, 2017, 04:56:47 AM »
Trail running :love:  I would love to stay on trails year round.  Hopefully they will be clear after my half in April.  I'm ready to get off the road.

I just cant stand the constant pounding of my feet on the pavement. KILLS my shoulder too (3 surgeries so far). Also doesnt hurt that I could basically run a new trail here every day until I die.
If I could, I'd stay on them year round. Too damn muddy right now.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1196 on: February 09, 2017, 04:58:30 AM »
Does old man strength have a cardio equivalent? Don't underestimate that punk whipper snapper's nubile cartilage and barely plaqued arteries.
Taking him on a 14 miler this weekend. We'll see where he is.

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: February 09, 2017, 07:50:41 AM »
Traveling for work today and missed lunch.  But I planned ahead and grabbed an extra slice of mrstdaver's homemade breakfast bread on the way out this morning.  After checking in at HQ this afternoon, I cranked out 8 miles (6:45 pace :gocho:).  Just put down three beers, a huuuge burger, fried pickles, and a cookie.  Should sleep well tonight!

Don't know whether to be more impressed by the carbs in that bread and beer or that 6:45 pace. WTH, man, are you really that fast??

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: February 09, 2017, 07:52:07 AM »
Are you making the argument that the way it is now is the way it shall be forever?

Kind of, yes.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: February 09, 2017, 08:38:07 AM »
My backyard is on ward pkwy, I'll be tossing brews to anyone that gives a  :lynchmob:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite