Author Topic: The Distance Running Thread  (Read 141417 times)

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: The Distance Running Thread
« Reply #1100 on: June 20, 2016, 06:32:18 PM »
Making slow progress with my recovery. Up to ten miles on Saturday. Can't hold a ten minute pace in heart rate zone 2 more than five miles but I'll get there.
I respect your work to get back at it.  Congrats on the progress.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1101 on: June 20, 2016, 07:54:44 PM »
Making slow progress with my recovery. Up to ten miles on Saturday. Can't hold a ten minute pace in heart rate zone 2 more than five miles but I'll get there.
I respect your work to get back at it.  Congrats on the progress.
Thank you. It's been a challenge to stay focused. Been using Hal Higdon training plans to keep adding miles. Shooting for a two hour half marathon in August. Long way to go.

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: June 21, 2016, 07:47:04 AM »
I went inside to run on a treadmill today after being off for several months.  It's going to take some push to get back in the habit of daily running.  This is the longest I have ever gone without running regularly.  My body feels and looks it.  Sad, really, because I used to be in really great running shape.  I'll need some encouragement along the way.  HELP!   
I am still going to Las Vegas for the rock n roll 1/2 in November.  Not willing to give up that trip and run yet, regardless of how lazy I've become.  Serious training necessary to get a running base before the actual race training.

With the Vegas half not till November you've got plenty of time. Take it easy, build slowly, don't focus on speed.

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: June 21, 2016, 08:07:27 AM »
I went inside to run on a treadmill today after being off for several months.  It's going to take some push to get back in the habit of daily running.  This is the longest I have ever gone without running regularly.  My body feels and looks it.  Sad, really, because I used to be in really great running shape.  I'll need some encouragement along the way.  HELP!   
I am still going to Las Vegas for the rock n roll 1/2 in November.  Not willing to give up that trip and run yet, regardless of how lazy I've become.  Serious training necessary to get a running base before the actual race training.

With the Vegas half not till November you've got plenty of time. Take it easy, build slowly, don't focus on speed.
Yes, thanks. I have done this run for several years, but have never been off this long.  I am ready to get a real start though. 
As for speed, since I quit running with any kind of competitive spirit I never focus on speed. For me it's the persistence and continuing a healthful habit, as I have some rather unhealthful ones as well. I almost always feel much better physically and mentally after a run of any distance. And that keeps me interested and motivated for the most part.

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: June 21, 2016, 05:56:55 PM »
Two days in a row...almost felt good to keep going today.  Hope it becomes habit again soon. 

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1105 on: July 09, 2016, 01:57:05 PM »
How do you KC runners endure that sewer trough in the Plaza? Good grief that thing stinks. Enjoyed the rest of my five miles. Nice park above the Plaza with a great running surface.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: July 29, 2016, 04:32:45 PM »
Had a rattlesnake encounter today while trail running during my lunch break.  In a partially shaded section with roots, rocks, etc. so didn't see it until I heard the rattle and realized it was right at my feet.  Jumped, yelled, and took off up the trail.  Didn't see it on the way back down, but every little noise was freaking me out.    :horrorsurprise:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: July 29, 2016, 06:01:08 PM »
Had a rattlesnake encounter today while trail running during my lunch break.  In a partially shaded section with roots, rocks, etc. so didn't see it until I heard the rattle and realized it was right at my feet.  Jumped, yelled, and took off up the trail.  Didn't see it on the way back down, but every little noise was freaking me out.    :horrorsurprise:

Went running on a trail in Texas Hill Country last weekend and had this very fear. Realized in the middle of my midday run that it was like 200 degrees, there was no one around, and if I get bitten by a rattlesnake I have no idea wtf to do. Also was worried I might see a spooky tarantula.  :sdeek:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: July 30, 2016, 03:38:05 PM »
Hello negative splits?

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: July 30, 2016, 07:54:51 PM »
Hello negative splits?

For sure, but that had more to do with the 1000 ft gain on the way in.

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: August 24, 2016, 09:32:20 PM »
What's shaking guys?

I ran (well, that's the liberal use of the word) 30 trail miles last Saturday. 

Doing a half on Sunday. I think I may have over-scheduled things.

And found out I lose about 2lbs an hour in 85 degree heat. :horrorsurprise:

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: August 24, 2016, 11:32:52 PM »
That's a lot of miles, Cu.  Nice work and good luck with the half.

In kind of a funk right now myself.  Haven't been able to get as much trail time as I wanted this summer.  But weather is cooling and new trail shoes are on order, so hopefully can make up with a good fall.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: August 25, 2016, 08:39:11 AM »
Have you guys ever done a VO2 max measurement?

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1113 on: August 25, 2016, 05:24:33 PM »
No. I've only done lactate threshold testing using heart rate.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1114 on: August 25, 2016, 05:29:00 PM »
I was on a good roll until July 7 with some nice twenty and thirty mile weeks. That was the day I fell on Quandary and separated rib cartilage. Had just my third run since then this morning. I finally don't have pain.

Crazy injury. Felt a pop but no pain at the time. Two days later and I could hardly take a deep breath.

Here's to a more active September!

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: August 25, 2016, 08:21:53 PM »
Inspired by Mo Farah, I tried to set a PR this morning in 10,000% humidity. Didn't make it, felt sore at work all day.

:frown:

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: August 25, 2016, 11:20:44 PM »
I was on a good roll until July 7 with some nice twenty and thirty mile weeks. That was the day I fell on Quandary and separated rib cartilage. Had just my third run since then this morning. I finally don't have pain.

Crazy injury. Felt a pop but no pain at the time. Two days later and I could hardly take a deep breath.

Goat attack? 

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1117 on: August 26, 2016, 03:53:36 AM »

Goat attack?
Vicious but no. Just lost my footing on the talus.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: August 26, 2016, 01:09:45 PM »

Goat attack?
Vicious but no. Just lost my footing on the talus.

Some goat loosened a rock before you stepped on it, without a doubt. They are very crafty.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1119 on: August 26, 2016, 01:19:23 PM »

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: August 26, 2016, 01:23:03 PM »
I'm scheduled for a marathon in October. I've got 7 weekends until the race. So that's 5 weekends to reach my max training distance. My training really suffered over the summer with the heat. This last weekend I ran 12. Tomorrow I'm going to try for 14. But I'm really doubting I can work my way up to 20 miles in five weekends.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: August 26, 2016, 01:29:16 PM »
NO SELF LIMITATIONS

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1122 on: August 26, 2016, 03:11:51 PM »
Do doubles. Go big on Saturday and Sunday.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: August 26, 2016, 03:17:48 PM »

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: August 27, 2016, 05:50:59 PM »
Two hours, 13.7mi today. Not bad. Gonna have to do 16 next weekend to get back on schedule.  :Ugh:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.