Author Topic: The Distance Running Thread  (Read 142633 times)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Re: The Distance Running Thread
« Reply #800 on: October 13, 2015, 01:50:10 PM »
I have a secret to admit.. I'm addicted to running. I love running on campus, but now all of the students are back and the last thing that I need is some foreign kid to run over me with his car. I don't know where to go to get my fix now.  :ohno:

how about any place in the world except roads and parking lots

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: October 13, 2015, 01:53:58 PM »
I have a secret to admit.. I'm addicted to running. I love running on campus, but now all of the students are back and the last thing that I need is some foreign kid to run over me with his car. I don't know where to go to get my fix now.  :ohno:

I know right, like just the other day I was telling my wife as I was driving her to the grocery store (because you know, women bad drivers and all) I said "babe, it's a good thing none of those foreign drivers ran me over when I was running through campus because I might have never met you"
@lopakman

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: October 13, 2015, 02:27:44 PM »
Something I've always wondered...is it okay to drive somewhere to run?  I can't think of any logical reason it wouldn't be okay, but it does seem weird.

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: October 13, 2015, 03:36:55 PM »
I actually did that once when I drove to a track because I wanted a flat surface (non-treadmill) where I could see how far I could run. 

And guess what?  I ran 6 miles  :D
@lopakman

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: October 13, 2015, 04:48:06 PM »
Kinda weird if you drive somewhere just to run on the street.  Not weird if you drive to a track, park, or trail.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: October 13, 2015, 05:33:38 PM »
I'll drive to especially hilly areas to run on the street. Once on vacation, I drove to a street to run because the street was along a coastline with a view. Some people drive to meet up with other people and run on the street.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: October 13, 2015, 09:40:05 PM »
Kinda weird if you drive somewhere just to run on the street.  Not weird if you drive to a track, park, or trail.

Nah. Way easier to run long distances through a bigass beautiful park than stopping for traffic every five feet. I drive to scenic places to run all the time.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: October 14, 2015, 10:16:04 AM »
I bought some $150 Aiscs (sp?) this weekend at Dicks.  They felt awesome in the store.  I ran my regular daily route for the next two day (5K), and they are rough ridin' giving blisters on each foot at a couple differ parts on top of my feet.  Never had an issue with shoes before.  rough ridin' Dicks won't take them back.

I chose them because I wanted the really bouncing cushioning, and I still love that part of them.  I am thinking about getting an exacto knife and carving rough ridin' holes in the shoes in the spots that rub.  This is frustrating because I almost bought the Addidas Ultra Boost...I'd probably be fine right now if I had! 

I guess I should have gone to Gary Gribble or whatever..

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: October 14, 2015, 11:07:41 AM »
I bought some $150 Aiscs (sp?) this weekend at Dicks.  They felt awesome in the store.  I ran my regular daily route for the next two day (5K), and they are rough ridin' giving blisters on each foot at a couple differ parts on top of my feet.  Never had an issue with shoes before.  rough ridin' Dicks won't take them back.

I chose them because I wanted the really bouncing cushioning, and I still love that part of them.  I am thinking about getting an exacto knife and carving rough ridin' holes in the shoes in the spots that rub.  This is frustrating because I almost bought the Addidas Ultra Boost...I'd probably be fine right now if I had! 

I guess I should have gone to Gary Gribble or whatever..

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: October 14, 2015, 11:08:50 AM »

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: October 14, 2015, 11:13:37 AM »
i'd listen to Mrs. G, Pete.  if anyone knows about foot ailments on this blog, it's her.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: October 14, 2015, 11:17:50 AM »
  :Wha:

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: October 14, 2015, 11:23:28 AM »
i'd listen to Mrs. G, Pete.  if anyone knows about foot ailments on this blog, it's her.

Also, you can get some of these and just apply them on your foot where the rubbing is happening...before you run.

Check out this whole page...http://www.band-aid.com/products/active-lifestyles

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: October 14, 2015, 11:23:46 AM »
  :Wha:

did he surgically remove his skin to prevent blistering? is that pretty effective?

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: October 14, 2015, 12:00:08 PM »
Leukotape is the best blister prevention I've used.  Cut a small strip to cover your problem areas.  Stuff is amazingly sticky and will not rub off while running. Don't put it on existing blisters without a blister pad or something underneath or you will lose a bunch of skin peeling it off.   Just use the tape no pad after things are healed.

But really, if you're getting blisters running a 5k you need to get a different shoe that fits better.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 12:05:34 PM by tdaver »

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: October 14, 2015, 01:05:46 PM »

Leukotape is the best blister prevention I've used.  Cut a small strip to cover your problem areas.  Stuff is amazingly sticky and will not rub off while running. Don't put it on existing blisters without a blister pad or something underneath or you will lose a bunch of skin peeling it off.   Just use the tape no pad after things are healed.

But really, if you're getting blisters running a 5k you need to get a different shoe that fits better.

That's the point, my old shoes don't cause these sore spots but my new ones do!

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: October 14, 2015, 01:08:52 PM »
I busted a toe in August that killed my running.  Doesn't hurt anymore but the nail hasn't fully come off yet.

Can I run with it?  It looks gross, there's a bunch of dry blood under the nail still.

Offline BringBackEcoKat

• Fan
  • The Lady of Winters
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: October 14, 2015, 04:27:44 PM »
Does anyone know of any parks in Manhattan that have running trails then? And you guys laugh.. But there have been an increasing number of people ran over on campus this year and I would rather not be one of the few.
'Cause Cats

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: October 14, 2015, 04:28:37 PM »
Just run around City Park.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: October 14, 2015, 04:29:56 PM »
Does anyone know of any parks in Manhattan that have running trails then? And you guys laugh.. But there have been an increasing number of people ran over on campus this year and I would rather not be one of the few.

konza praire trail is the bitb

you will probably have to drive there

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: October 15, 2015, 08:23:35 AM »

konza praire trail is the bitb

you will probably have to drive there
Ride your bike there like a true stud boss. That's what I did one time when I was training for the only triathlon I have ever done.

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: October 28, 2015, 05:22:44 PM »
Ran 13.1 miles for the first time last weekend.  :D

Pretty sure I have peroneal tendonosis now.  :frown:

https://www.aofas.org/footcaremd/conditions/ailments-of-the-ankle/Pages/Peroneal-Tendonitis.aspx

The Big Train

« Reply #822 on: October 28, 2015, 05:28:31 PM »

Have you ever run at anneburg park?  It's got a trail around the whole thing that is pretty nice

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: November 02, 2015, 07:08:49 AM »
Some quick summaries:

1. If you get blisters in a new pair of shoes, you need different shoes.
2. Injinji socks (toed socks) are terrific for preventing toe blisters (from long runs).
3. Running in the Konza prairie is as close to God as you can get in this world, even for atheists.
4. You can run, even thrive, without a toenail.  May want to invest in bigger/wider shoes.
   a. Toenails take FOREVER to heal completely.
   b. Can't have an "a" without a "b".

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: November 02, 2015, 11:43:32 AM »
Ran 13.1 miles for the first time last weekend.  :D

Pretty sure I have peroneal tendonosis now.  :frown:

https://www.aofas.org/footcaremd/conditions/ailments-of-the-ankle/Pages/Peroneal-Tendonitis.aspx

Congrats on the run.  The first time i did that distance was a real validation for me. It is hard work.  I think my long distance running days are behind me.  You will heal, and be back on the road again soon.