Author Topic: The Distance Running Thread  (Read 141368 times)

Offline Lynchmobrules

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: The Distance Running Thread
« Reply #325 on: April 19, 2014, 11:49:56 AM »
Ran a 5k this morning. Didn't really train for it. Finished in 28 minutes. Enjoyed it quite a bit. Will continue as long as my knees can hold up.
"Wednesday if they don't come in and compete, I am going to destroy them." - Frank Martin

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 19, 2014, 12:12:16 PM »
Had about the easiest two and a half mile run I've had in the last year or so.  I found out that taking allergy medicine (Nasocort!) before you run makes it way easier.  Gonna start steadily increasing my distance. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 19, 2014, 04:04:09 PM »
I want to run my first half next month.  Just decided like a week ago.  If I add one mile a week to my weekend run I will be at 11 miles the week before.  Will continue with mixed strength, cardio, light run during the week that I normally do.

Will this work or should I find a different run a month or so later to allow more time?
With no base, you'd want an extra month or two to build. If you're already rocking six miles, you should be OK. Don't go eleven the last weekend. Drop back to eight. You'll want to taper the long run. Save it for race day.

I would say you'll be able to do it without stopping. Don't try to go for speed or anything when you run the half. Someone (this thread?) told me that your time is wholly irrelevant in your first half and that is correct. The only thing that matters is finishing. I second the advice to taper back and not do 11 the week before. Do, maybe, 7 or 8? Then pace yourself at the half and you'll be fine. I jumped from 8 to 13 and it wasn't a big deal. Once you've done 10 you can do 13, I think. It's mainly a mental block to hurdle at that point and running in an actual race will probably be so fun that you'll hurdle it no problemo.

Thanks the for the advice guys.  I successfully completed the half this morning.  I did drop back to 8 miles last weekend and then took it really easy this week.  I was pumped up and full adrenaline so started at a faster pace than I have been training.  I was feeling good and I'm too damn competitive to slow down until I really have to.  Finished in 1:46, almost a minute and a half per mile faster than my average training pace.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #328 on: April 19, 2014, 04:10:34 PM »
Sweet race!

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 21, 2014, 12:54:22 PM »
I want to run my first half next month.  Just decided like a week ago.  If I add one mile a week to my weekend run I will be at 11 miles the week before.  Will continue with mixed strength, cardio, light run during the week that I normally do.

Will this work or should I find a different run a month or so later to allow more time?
With no base, you'd want an extra month or two to build. If you're already rocking six miles, you should be OK. Don't go eleven the last weekend. Drop back to eight. You'll want to taper the long run. Save it for race day.

I would say you'll be able to do it without stopping. Don't try to go for speed or anything when you run the half. Someone (this thread?) told me that your time is wholly irrelevant in your first half and that is correct. The only thing that matters is finishing. I second the advice to taper back and not do 11 the week before. Do, maybe, 7 or 8? Then pace yourself at the half and you'll be fine. I jumped from 8 to 13 and it wasn't a big deal. Once you've done 10 you can do 13, I think. It's mainly a mental block to hurdle at that point and running in an actual race will probably be so fun that you'll hurdle it no problemo.

Thanks the for the advice guys.  I successfully completed the half this morning.  I did drop back to 8 miles last weekend and then took it really easy this week.  I was pumped up and full adrenaline so started at a faster pace than I have been training.  I was feeling good and I'm too damn competitive to slow down until I really have to.  Finished in 1:46, almost a minute and a half per mile faster than my average training pace.

Holy crap tdaver! Increds work.

Guys! I get to do a little distance running in Hawaii this week. Can't wait. :cool:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 26, 2014, 11:58:48 PM »
Did my first half marathon today. The rain kicked my ass, holy rough ridin' cold. Still managed to get under 2:30 tho

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #332 on: April 27, 2014, 06:27:40 AM »
Did my first half marathon today. The rain kicked my ass, holy rough ridin' cold. Still managed to get under 2:30 tho
Well done! I had several friends running yesterday in that crappy rain.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 30, 2014, 09:20:53 AM »

AbeFroman, 'grats. How was the need to poop situation?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 04, 2014, 05:38:21 PM »
Half today.  Previously injured knee hurts.  Ooooouch.  I can still say that in every distance race I've run, at some point I've thought, "Why am I doing this? I don't think I'm going to do this any more."  Of course, I always do it again.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 05, 2014, 10:08:55 AM »
Yep. I ran 10 miles over the weekend and it was ruff stuff. Ruff stuff. Considering I did a full less than three months ago, that's pretty sad. Of course I had basically put running on hiatus and eaten like pure crud for a few months, but still. It's ridiculous how quickly you can, like, lose it.  :sadpeek:

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 05, 2014, 11:08:18 AM »
I did a 2 mile trail run in the Appalachian Mtns on Sunday morning. I think I might start back up for reals.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 05, 2014, 12:55:01 PM »
Operation stop being fat and get in shape for fall rugby starts today :party:
:adios:

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 05, 2014, 08:00:57 PM »
Hey goEMAW runners. Back in January I asked for recommendations for dealing with shin splints. Took the advice and got some good compression socks and some new shoes. Didn't help and seemed they got worse. Finally went to the doctor and found I had a stress fracture in both shins. Tomorrow I get to attempt to run for the first time since. I'm only allowed to actually run for a mile, but really, really, really hoping for pain free.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 05, 2014, 09:31:21 PM »
Hey goEMAW runners. Back in January I asked for recommendations for dealing with shin splints. Took the advice and got some good compression socks and some new shoes. Didn't help and seemed they got worse. Finally went to the doctor and found I had a stress fracture in both shins. Tomorrow I get to attempt to run for the first time since. I'm only allowed to actually run for a mile, but really, really, really hoping for pain free.

The solution is not to run. Pump iron. Squat and dead lift. Build stud beef bones and not shattered hollow bird bones.

Then run. If you still want to.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 05, 2014, 10:29:13 PM »

The solution is not to run. Pump iron. Squat and dead lift. Build stud beef bones and not shattered hollow bird bones.

Then run. If you still want to.

I've been lifting pretty heavy since I've been out. I still want to run though. I love the way I feel after a good run. Not really long distance running but a good 5-10k.

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 06, 2014, 06:02:02 AM »
Steve Dave you should really run on at least a two.  0 will wear the tread out faster. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 06, 2014, 06:14:56 AM »

Steve Dave you should really run on at least a two.  0 will wear the tread out faster.

the tread of what? shoes? treadmill?

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 06, 2014, 10:06:13 PM »
Great news! Did my mile "run" today pain free. Now to start building up distance again :Woot:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 06, 2014, 10:41:52 PM »
We should have like a gE hundreds club where all us stud runners keep track of our distance on an app and then get free premium when we get a hundred total miles under our belt.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: May 07, 2014, 07:07:11 AM »
We should have like a gE hundreds club where all us stud runners keep track of our distance on an app and then get free premium when we get a hundred total miles under our belt.

that would take like 100 days  :dubious:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 07, 2014, 07:08:50 AM »
ran outside this morning. my treadmill has a nice cushion'y bounce but the concrete is hard and the outside of my feet feel bad about it. 

Offline the_ugly_clown

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 07, 2014, 07:11:40 AM »
Operation stop being fat and get in shape for fall rugby starts today :party:

3.25miles yesterday!!! ps i LOVE watching rugby, spent a month in New Zealand and got hooked. It's like their NFL, MLB, NHL all wrapped into one sport.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 07, 2014, 03:41:37 PM »
ran outside this morning. my treadmill has a nice cushion'y bounce but the concrete is hard and the outside of my feet feel bad about it. 

Even with the Mizunos?
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 07, 2014, 03:57:38 PM »
have you ever been to Omaha? it's all concrete with control joints every 10 feet or whatever. no asphalt.