Author Topic: The Distance Running Thread  (Read 141352 times)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The Distance Running Thread
« Reply #275 on: March 15, 2014, 04:58:03 PM »
I walked 6.5 miles today at 3 mph per google.  I'd like to go 20 miles eventually.  Should I take several months and build up to it?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 15, 2014, 05:40:26 PM »

We were like real close. Hungover run fun. That crossroads Hill is gross.
33:30! Zomg

:D that hill, wyandotte between like 18th and 16th is the only time I walked

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 16, 2014, 12:44:53 AM »
Look at all us studs. Look at us.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Online tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 21, 2014, 11:22:45 AM »
I want to run my first half next month.  Just decided like a week ago.  If I add one mile a week to my weekend run I will be at 11 miles the week before.  Will continue with mixed strength, cardio, light run during the week that I normally do.

Will this work or should I find a different run a month or so later to allow more time?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 21, 2014, 11:35:26 AM »
I ran 1.25 miles on the treadmill (elevation 0) really fast the other morning and I had to wait awhile before showering so I wouldn't still be sweating when I got out. annoying.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #280 on: March 21, 2014, 11:53:38 AM »
I want to run my first half next month.  Just decided like a week ago.  If I add one mile a week to my weekend run I will be at 11 miles the week before.  Will continue with mixed strength, cardio, light run during the week that I normally do.

Will this work or should I find a different run a month or so later to allow more time?
With no base, you'd want an extra month or two to build. If you're already rocking six miles, you should be OK. Don't go eleven the last weekend. Drop back to eight. You'll want to taper the long run. Save it for race day.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 21, 2014, 11:55:15 AM »
guys I can run 1+ miles no big deal now. it still hurts like crazy all over, but mentally i'm not begging myself to quit the entire time anymore.  :D

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 21, 2014, 11:59:01 AM »

guys I can run 1+ miles no big deal now. it still hurts like crazy all over, but mentally i'm not begging myself to quit the entire time anymore.  :D

I still hate it. I don't think I will ever not.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 21, 2014, 12:02:08 PM »
running outside is like 10000000000 x better than running on a treadmill. try that steve

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 21, 2014, 12:07:48 PM »
I walked 6.5 miles today at 3 mph per google.  I'd like to go 20 miles eventually.  Should I take several months and build up to it?

Do you use an app for this?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: March 21, 2014, 12:21:38 PM »
running outside is like 10000000000 x better than running on a treadmill. try that steve

will when it's warm enough. probably is now.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 21, 2014, 12:49:23 PM »

Do you use an app for this?

Yes it is called " My Tracks"  shows real time on a map where you are, current speed, average speed, total distance.  Several other metrics too.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 21, 2014, 02:36:40 PM »
With no base, you'd want an extra month or two to build. If you're already rocking six miles, you should be OK. Don't go eleven the last weekend. Drop back to eight. You'll want to taper the long run. Save it for race day.

Thanks IPA, been doing 5ish on the reg so will give it a shot.  May wait a couple weeks to register just in case.

Yes, especially when you can run here :gocho:

The Big Train

« Reply #288 on: March 23, 2014, 08:27:45 PM »
So I decided today I was gonna quit being a FP and go for a run. I ran almost a mile without puking  :excited: I used to run 5-6 a day when I was still playing sports but that was 2 knee surgeries ago. Knees didn't hurt either which is really good

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #289 on: March 23, 2014, 09:19:27 PM »
Go job TBT. Rehab those knees and get back to running.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 26, 2014, 11:34:05 PM »

I would say you'll be able to do it without stopping. Don't try to go for speed or anything when you run the half. Someone (this thread?) told me that your time is wholly irrelevant in your first half and that is correct. The only thing that matters is finishing. I second the advice to taper back and not do 11 the week before. Do, maybe, 7 or 8? Then pace yourself at the half and you'll be fine. I jumped from 8 to 13 and it wasn't a big deal. Once you've done 10 you can do 13, I think. It's mainly a mental block to hurdle at that point and running in an actual race will probably be so fun that you'll hurdle it no problemo.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #291 on: March 27, 2014, 06:32:48 AM »
My back has been feeling better of late. I ran for thirty minutes on Tuesday. Tightened up again on Wednesday. Sigh. Some day this nonsense will end.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 31, 2014, 06:35:48 PM »
just cranked out 9 miles.  pretty pleased as it was only my 4th run this year.  those other 3 hill runs really paid off.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 31, 2014, 07:20:13 PM »
I just put in 3 and it felt like 30....I tallied up excuses as I went....in order: 1) I think I'm sick  2) Didn't eat enough at lunch 3) Man this wind sucks 4) stupid downtown hills 5) SUN IN FACE 6) not the normal amount of runners on my route to keep me going 7) upcoming birthday, getting older 8) Loser, you are just out of shape.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 31, 2014, 09:39:06 PM »
Ran 6.3 tonight. First real long run since the 'thon which was now nearly two months ago. Feels good 2B back.  :gocho:

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 31, 2014, 10:08:14 PM »
Play Ultimate every monday, kept my running app on and tracked the mileage: 3.8  :gocho:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 01, 2014, 03:53:07 PM »
I play Ultimate...Fakebook. When I run. Every Monday. :gocho:

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 01, 2014, 04:10:04 PM »
Excellent source of cardio?

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 01, 2014, 08:27:03 PM »
Ran a 1.01 miles today in 9:15. Look out, Jim Ryun, here comes WonderMeal.

:gocho:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 01, 2014, 09:40:45 PM »
Ran a 1.01 miles today in 9:15. Look out, Jim Ryun, here comes WonderMeal.

:gocho:

:cheers: 

Sometime when I'm home in Kansas we can go for a jog 2gether