Author Topic: Self: "I would strongly discourage him (Aldrich) from coming back"  (Read 17703 times)

catzacker

Re: Self: "I would strongly discourage him (Aldrich) from coming back"
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2010, 04:09:58 PM »
Probably to avoid a civil law suit. Self already cost Cole millions for forcing him back last year.

Was he projected higher than 6th overall in last year's draft?

http://www.draftexpress.com/

The guy attended KU basketball camps as a kid.  He always wanted to be a Jayhawk.  Aldrich was also the Academic All-American of the Year and will be the first person in his family to get a college degree once he finishes 12 more hours.

Ben, hate owning you, bro.  The Aldrich's should file a law suit to get back the millions and millions Self cost them by lying.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Cole-Aldrich-1250/

Quote from: NCAA Tournament Performers, 3/31/09- Part One
It’s still up in the air whether Aldrich will test the draft waters this year, but if he does, he should be firmly in lottery discussions right off the bat. Given his prototypical size, tremendous wingspan, solid athleticism, high motor, the learning curve he’s shown, and the fact that he already does a few things at an NBA level despite being very early in his development, teams could become quite enamored with his potential, and he could quite easily creep into the single digits.

My point was that Aldrich didn't lose any value.  He's projected 6th overall by draftexpress for the 2010 NBA Draft.  

Self cost the Aldrich's millions and millions of dollars by lying to him.   JFC, Ben, Cole's projection not changing that much doesn't make his decision to come back a smarter one.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2010, 04:13:42 PM »
Opportunity cost.

I though Cole was a personal finance major?  Yikes.

Offline JavaCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2010, 04:16:51 PM »
Just said it now during Aldrich's press conference on 810.  Self also noted that they had known Cole was leaving since last year. 

powerespect talking point #3,765  =  DEAD

WTF did you expect him to say then if he knew Cole wasn't coming back? When he knows there's no chance a player is coming back, of course, he's going to say he discouraged him from coming back. When there's a chance the player will return he's going to STRONGLY encourage them to come back if he sees them as worthwhile to him. Self only cares about himself and proves it once again.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 04:25:45 PM »
Let's take it fracking easy on the "college degree" bullshit here. 

The RIGHT thing happened here.  I personally believe that in this situation, Bill probably did tell him to GTFO and go get paid.

HOWEVER, I also believe that Bill SHOULD have done this last year....if Cole had gotten hurt this year, his family would have suffered to a much greater degree than Cole enjoyed this year.  That was wreckless, but it worked.

Why is it so hard to believe that Aldrich wanted to come back?  I don't see why it's so inconceivable that a kid who grew up attending KU basketball camps, and a kid who obviously enjoyed the college experience, wanted to return for one more season at KU.

:dunno:

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2010, 04:26:44 PM »

The RIGHT thing happened here.  I personally believe that in this situation, Bill probably did tell him to GTFO and go get paid.

HOWEVER, I also believe that Bill SHOULD have done this last year....if Cole had gotten hurt this year, his family would have suffered to a much greater degree than Cole enjoyed this year.  That was wreckless, but it worked.

Why is it so hard to believe that Aldrich wanted to come back?  I don't see why it's so inconceivable that a kid who grew up attending KU basketball camps, and a kid who obviously enjoyed the college experience, wanted to return for one more season at KU.

I know i would want to come back and lose in the first weekend of the tourney to a MVC school :dunno:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2010, 04:28:19 PM »

I know i would want to come back and lose in the first weekend of the tourney to a MVC school :dunno:

Yeah... everyone was totally expecting a 2nd round flameout after KU went 33-2 and entered the tourney as the #1 overall team.

:jerk:

catzacker

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2010, 04:29:15 PM »

Cause it's so incredibly, irresponsibly stupid that someone, hell I don't know his f'ing coach or something, should have told the freaking 20 year old about the real world.  

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2010, 04:29:36 PM »

Yeah... everyone was totally expecting a 2nd round flameout after KU went 33-2 and entered the tourney as the #1 overall team.

:jerk:

I know. Completely unacceptable, right???
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2010, 04:40:17 PM »

Cause it's so incredibly, irresponsibly stupid that someone, hell I don't know his f'ing coach or something, should have told the freaking 20 year old about the real world.  

You don't think Aldrich knew he would have been a lottery pick?  Are you mildly Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) or something?

:confused:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2010, 04:46:03 PM »

Outside of attending ku in first place, not leaving last year was the biggest mistake of that kid's life.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2010, 04:58:54 PM »

Outside of attending ku in first place, not leaving last year was the biggest mistake of that kid's life.

So true, man.  Academic All-American of the Year.  1st-team All Big 12.  Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year.  Back-to-back-to-back Big 12 regular season titles.  Two Big 12 tournament titles.  One National Championship.  AP 3rd-team All-American.

What a terrible career.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2010, 05:00:04 PM »
He would have gone so much higher had he left last season.  What a god damn slave driver.   :cry:

catzacker

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2010, 05:02:42 PM »

You don't think Aldrich knew he would have been a lottery pick?  Are you mildly Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) or something?

he only knows what bill and bill's "contacts" tell him.   "uh, uh, they, uh, uh, said you'd probably be, uh, uh maybe go second round". 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2010, 05:03:02 PM »

So true, man.  Academic All-American of the Year.  1st-team All Big 12.  Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year.  Back-to-back-to-back Big 12 regular season titles.  Two Big 12 tournament titles.  One National Championship.  AP 3rd-team All-American.

What a terrible career.

How much did he get paid for those "awards"?  If your answer is "nothing", then it was a terrible career move.  If your answer is "nobody is really sure but it was decent.  Compton takes care of those who stay." then ku is cheating.  Not that anyone would be surprised.

Offline gibleis

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2010, 05:03:39 PM »

Doesn't KU have the NCAA record for that exact same thing?  Should everyone start expecting it?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2010, 05:03:53 PM »
Honestly, I can't think of a more hilarious thing to discuss than a D1 college athlete's academics.   Unless one actually didn't make grades.  Now that would be something to discuss.  

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2010, 05:10:40 PM »
Gurley on with Kietz shredding Cole's offensive game and also knocking X. Henry.

It is tru you can never go back.  The second you tell Self you are leaving he burns you down, and his people do it too.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2010, 05:14:11 PM »
He would have gone so much higher had he left last season.  What a god damn slave driver.   :cry:

www.draftexpress.com

1   Nets    John Wall PG
Kentucky, Freshman
2   Timberwolves    Evan Turner SG/SF
Ohio State, Junior
3   Warriors    DeMarcus Cousins C
Kentucky, Freshman
4   Pacers    Derrick Favors PF/C
Georgia Tech, Freshman
5   Wizards    Al-Farouq Aminu SF/PF
Wake Forest, Sophomore
6   Pistons    Cole Aldrich C
Kansas, Junior

7   76ers    Ed Davis PF
North Carolina, Sophomore
8   Kings    Wesley Johnson SF/PF
Syracuse, Junior
9   Jazz    Greg Monroe PF/C
Georgetown, Sophomore
10   Clippers    Patrick Patterson PF
Kentucky, Junior
11   Bulls    Jan Vesely SF
KK Partizan Belgrade, International
12   Hornets    Donatas Motiejunas PF/C
Benetton Treviso, International
13   Grizzlies    Ekpe Udoh PF/C
Baylor, Junior
14   Rockets    Xavier Henry SG
Kansas, Freshman

Which one of these guys does Aldrich beat out for 5th in the '09 NBA Draft, Steve?

1.  Blake Griffin
2.  Hasheem Thabeet
3.  James Harden
4.  Tyreke Evans
5.  Ricky Rubio

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2010, 05:16:17 PM »
Gurley on with Kietz shredding Cole's offensive game and also knocking X. Henry.

It is tru you can never go back.  The second you tell Self you are leaving he burns you down, and his people do it too.

Gurley just said, "If they're (NBA) gonna take you, and they're gonna pay you, go."

Are we living in an alternate universe or something?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2010, 05:17:41 PM »

www.draftexpress.com

1   Nets    John Wall PG
Kentucky, Freshman
2   Timberwolves    Evan Turner SG/SF
Ohio State, Junior
3   Warriors    DeMarcus Cousins C
Kentucky, Freshman
4   Pacers    Derrick Favors PF/C
Georgia Tech, Freshman
5   Wizards    Al-Farouq Aminu SF/PF
Wake Forest, Sophomore
6   Pistons    Cole Aldrich C
Kansas, Junior

7   76ers    Ed Davis PF
North Carolina, Sophomore
8   Kings    Wesley Johnson SF/PF
Syracuse, Junior
9   Jazz    Greg Monroe PF/C
Georgetown, Sophomore
10   Clippers    Patrick Patterson PF
Kentucky, Junior
11   Bulls    Jan Vesely SF
KK Partizan Belgrade, International
12   Hornets    Donatas Motiejunas PF/C
Benetton Treviso, International
13   Grizzlies    Ekpe Udoh PF/C
Baylor, Junior
14   Rockets    Xavier Henry SG
Kansas, Freshman

Which one of these guys does Aldrich beat out for 5th in the '09 NBA Draft, Steve?

1.  Blake Griffin
2.  Hasheem Thabeet
3.  James Harden
4.  Tyreke Evans
5.  Ricky Rubio

I bet the Wolves grab him at 5.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2010, 05:18:52 PM »

Gurley just said, "If they're (NBA) gonna take you, and they're gonna pay you, go."

it would appear we are living in one where somehow you got into college without being able to read even simple sentences.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »

it would appear we are living in one where somehow you got into college without being able to read even simple sentences.

I must be dreaming... I thought you implied Gurley was tearing apart Aldrich for leaving KU. 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2010, 05:26:34 PM »

I must be dreaming... I thought you implied Gurley was tearing apart Aldrich for leaving KU. 

No, you just aren't very quick.

He was tearing apart his offensive game, as I obviously said in the first part of my post.  I can see why you prefer to beat KSU in the regular season as opposed to advanceing past the first round of the NCAA tornament.

Offline Arthur Carlson

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2010, 05:39:49 PM »

"uh, uh, they, uh, uh, said you'd probably be, uh, uh maybe go second round". 

That reminds me, how did the closed captioning handle Stuttering Bill's performance in studio on Saturday?

Butt Fugly

« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2010, 05:47:32 PM »
"I would strongly discourage him (Aldrich) from coming back"

Just because Self said he would doesn't mean he did.  Self should have said "did discourage him"
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 06:02:19 PM by Butt Fugly »