Author Topic: Other Games 12-7  (Read 11829 times)

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Other Games 12-7
« Reply #150 on: December 07, 2013, 11:15:46 PM »
I think the system should be 8 teams, with the requirement that you have to win your conference or be an independent with a higher BCS ranking than a conference champ who would otherwise get into the playoffs. That would preserve the regular season greatness in games like Auburn/Alabama this year where so much was on the line. It would also give us a playoff with Stanford, Michigan State, Baylor, Auburn, FSU, UCF, and Fresno State. It would be perfect.

16.  10 Conf champs, 6 at-large.  Home-field until the title game.

I don't like the idea of at-large teams in the playoffs. The regular season is the playoff, or at least that is what I'm always told. It would be sort of cool if that were actually true. Nobody would care about MSU knocking off OSU if OSU still got to go to the playoffs anyway.
As a traveling fan, i don't know ho you could swing an 8 team play off... 3 weekends of traveling big-timey playoff games?  Its hard enough to coordinate hotels/flights/tickets/vacation time for one bowl game, let alone 3 weeks of it.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 07, 2013, 11:16:03 PM »
I think the system should be 8 teams, with the requirement that you have to win your conference or be an independent with a higher BCS ranking than a conference champ who would otherwise get into the playoffs. That would preserve the regular season greatness in games like Auburn/Alabama this year where so much was on the line. It would also give us a playoff with Stanford, Michigan State, Baylor, Auburn, FSU, UCF, and Fresno State. It would be perfect.

I don't like the idea of at-large teams in the playoffs. The regular season is the playoff, or at least that is what I'm always told. It would be sort of cool if that were actually true. Nobody would care about MSU knocking off OSU if OSU still got to go to the playoffs anyway.

I can see that, but then you'll have at-large teams anyway if "everyone truly has a shot to win it all." If conferences like the Sun Belt, MWC are going to be in the same division they deserve the same shot.  If giving them that shot is too big a burden then put them in another division.

I guess you could take the 8 highest rated conference champions and seed them.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 07, 2013, 11:18:05 PM »

As a traveling fan, i don't know ho you could swing an 8 team play off... 3 weekends of traveling big-timey playoff games?  Its hard enough to coordinate hotels/flights/tickets/vacation time for one bowl game, let alone 3 weeks of it.

home-field would be both easier and better, imo.  I'm not sure if that is what you're arguing.  If so we agree.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 07, 2013, 11:28:36 PM »

You would have to seed the teams and give home field advantage up until the championship game.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 07, 2013, 11:37:15 PM »
16 teams is way too big. Beyond stupid.

Offline Nick Florences Beard

• Low BBIQ, Med FBIQ
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 07, 2013, 11:39:48 PM »
Mich St deserves it just as much as auburn....or baylor.....there is no difference between these teams.

Auburn plays in god's chosen conference. That's the difference.  :jerk:

Completely agree MSU has as much right to it as Auburn in a fair world.
Not very good at this BBS'in thing.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 07, 2013, 11:53:54 PM »

home-field would be both easier and better, imo.  I'm not sure if that is what you're arguing.  If so we agree.
Agreed, you'd have to do at least the round of 8 at the higher seed's home field.  Bill would certainly like an extra home game.  But i don't know how another Dec/Jan game in some place like Wiscy would be with the weather, though i guess GBY can get away with it.

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 07, 2013, 11:57:41 PM »
:excited:
if auburn loses it proves the sec has been shitty smoke and mirrors since like probably last five years. No pressure :)

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 08, 2013, 01:40:37 AM »
if auburn loses it proves the sec has been shitty smoke and mirrors since like probably last five years. No pressure :)

Oh good grief, stop. Whenver the SEC has a bad bowl record (aka anytime it plays teams from other conferences) let me know. Hell, whenever it doesn't when the Cotton Bowl let me know.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 08, 2013, 01:47:56 AM »

Oh good grief, stop. Whenver the SEC has a bad bowl record (aka anytime it plays teams from other conferences) let me know. Hell, whenever it doesn't when the Cotton Bowl let me know.

wut?

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 08, 2013, 01:57:38 AM »

wut?

jmlynch is trying to say the SEC needs to prove itself. I'm saying it does every year when they whip the Big 12's ass in the Cotton Bowl. Try and keep up, ERII.

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 08, 2013, 02:08:15 AM »

wut?

jmlynch is trying to say the SEC needs to prove itself. I'm saying it does every year when they whip the Big 12's ass in the Cotton Bowl. Try and keep up, ERII.

I'm no master of the english language, and possibly drunk, but I'm almost 100% sure the bolded sentence makes zero sense.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 08, 2013, 02:11:36 AM »

wut?

I'm no master of the english language, and possibly drunk, but I'm almost 100% sure the bolded sentence makes zero sense.

"Whenever the SEC doesn't win the Cotton Bowl, let me know"

I misspelled "win" so I'm going to have to assume that's where the confusion is. But still, I'm going to go with you being drunk on this one.

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 08, 2013, 02:13:44 AM »

wut?

"Whenever the SEC doesn't win the Cotton Bowl, let me know"

I misspelled "win" so I'm going to have to assume that's where the confusion is. But still, I'm going to go with you being drunk on this one.

Ok, Steven Fanning.  :D

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 14, 2013, 02:01:02 PM »
Okay, Army v Navy.  2 groups of major studs squaring off the way they have for over 100 years.  They are all likely better people than any of us.

I got the Middies

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 14, 2013, 02:18:59 PM »
Okay, Army v Navy.  2 groups of major studs squaring off the way they have for over 100 years.  They are all likely better people than any of us.

I got the Middies

I like your style, LS.

Go Navy! Beat Army!

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 14, 2013, 02:33:14 PM »

wut?
big xii is crap tho

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 14, 2013, 03:21:17 PM »
Learn how to use the quote function before you talk smack, jmlynch.  :thumbsup: