Poll

Which hurt worse? Now or '98?

Now
2 (3.6%)
54 (96.4%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: Which hurt worse? Now or '98?  (Read 2075 times)

Offline Iceberg

• Fan
    • View Profile
Which hurt worse? Now or '98?
« on: March 28, 2010, 05:04:46 PM »
I vote 98

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Which hurt worse? Now or '98?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 05:08:09 PM »
In 1998 we were the most talented team out there and should have won.  We played above ourselves this year.  This one doesn't even get near that in terms of pain and disappointment.  I will forever look fondly upon this season. 

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 05:11:15 PM »
It's not even close.

In 98 we were 1 play away from going to the title game (where we would have been a favorite over Tenn)

This year, going into y-day, we only had 3 of the 6 wins that you need to be champs

Of the 8 teams that were in the elite 8, i knew we could beat any of them but i also knew we could lose to any of them as well

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 05:12:31 PM »
Even if we had gotten closer the disappointment wouldn't be the same.  We were in the top 5 almost the entire season in 1998.  We clawed our way into the rankings this year and made a steady climb exceeding my expectations almost the entire season. 

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 05:33:47 PM »
 :frown:

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 05:34:47 PM »
Absolutely crazy to compare this loss to 1998.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • purple hugs are back! get yours today
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 05:38:52 PM »

Not even the same ballpark.

Offline Barry McCockner

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 05:49:29 PM »
Yesterday it took about 6 hours of drinking to get me over it.  In 98 I went on a 9 month drunk, estranged myself from my friends, and ended up engaged somewhere in the middle of it.  Of course, age might have something to do with it as well.

Also, in 98 I was fuly aware we would never have that opportunity again.  We would never have a team that talented and have everything line up for us.  JFC, Tee Martin QBed the national chaps that year, and as far as I know went straight from there to working at a gas station somewhere.  Granted, this was the best team we've had in a long, long time, but next year we should be as good if not better.  Christ, Colon and Energy played huge minutes yesterday.  We have to be able to do better than that next year.  McGruder and Judge are going to be, much, much better, and Kelly only started showing his potential these past few games.  Now if we can just get Jamar and Dom to stop crapping their pants and Asprilla is at least better than Colon, we'll be fine.  Denis can't be replaced, but is we get better at the other 4 positions, we'll be alot tougher to contain.  I'm also betting Frank moves Pullen to the point.  We need experience there, and if he has any hope of getting on an NBA roster, it will have to be at the point.  Irving will be a solid backup, but having scoring at all 5 positions (or at least 4 if Sutton's in the game) will make us a lot tougher to defend.  We made it real easy on Butler by only having scoring threats at 3 spots.
"WELL BARYY YOU GOTTA DO WHAT YOU DO BECUZ IF YOU DONT DO IT, THEN WHO WILL - YOU GOTTA HAVE HART AND DATERMANASHIN AND FLOURIDE IN YOUR SYSTEM TO BE A TRUE CHAMPION" - The Ed

Offline TBL

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 07:16:05 PM »
Yesterday it took about 6 hours of drinking to get me over it.  In 98 I went on a 9 month drunk, estranged myself from my friends, and ended up engaged somewhere in the middle of it.  Of course, age might have something to do with it as well.

Also, in 98 I was fuly aware we would never have that opportunity again.  We would never have a team that talented and have everything line up for us.  JFC, Tee Martin QBed the national chaps that year, and as far as I know went straight from there to working at a gas station somewhere.  Granted, this was the best team we've had in a long, long time, but next year we should be as good if not better.  Christ, Colon and Energy played huge minutes yesterday.  We have to be able to do better than that next year.  McGruder and Judge are going to be, much, much better, and Kelly only started showing his potential these past few games.  Now if we can just get Jamar and Dom to stop crapping their pants and Asprilla is at least better than Colon, we'll be fine.  Denis can't be replaced, but is we get better at the other 4 positions, we'll be alot tougher to contain.  I'm also betting Frank moves Pullen to the point.  We need experience there, and if he has any hope of getting on an NBA roster, it will have to be at the point.  Irving will be a solid backup, but having scoring at all 5 positions (or at least 4 if Sutton's in the game) will make us a lot tougher to defend.  We made it real easy on Butler by only having scoring threats at 3 spots.

Martin was drafted in the fifth round of the 2000 NFL Draft by the Pittsburgh Steelers. In 2004, Martin retired as an Oakland Raider after four NFL seasons. Martin spent one season in the NFL Europe league[1]. During the 2002 season, he led the Rhein Fire to a league best 7–3 record. The Fire lost in the World Bowl, falling 20–26 to the Berlin Thunder.

Martin owns Playmakers Sports, a company specializing in sports event planning, quarterback training, and skills development and is a college football expert on Comcast Sports Southeast program Talkin' Football. He is a quarterback coach for the Nike Elite 11 Quarterback Camps, Nike Football Training Camps, and has trained many high school and Division 1 quarterbacks. In 2008, Martin created the "Dual Threat" Quarterback Camp and Academy in Atlanta, Georgia.

After one year as quarterbacks coach at New Mexico under Mike Locksley, Martin accepted the wide receivers position at the University of Kentucky to join new head coach Joker Phillips.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 07:18:34 PM »
Yesterday it took about 6 hours of drinking to get me over it.  In 98 I went on a 9 month drunk, estranged myself from my friends, and ended up engaged somewhere in the middle of it.  Of course, age might have something to do with it as well.

Also, in 98 I was fuly aware we would never have that opportunity again.  We would never have a team that talented and have everything line up for us.  JFC, Tee Martin QBed the national chaps that year, and as far as I know went straight from there to working at a gas station somewhere.  Granted, this was the best team we've had in a long, long time, but next year we should be as good if not better.  Christ, Colon and Energy played huge minutes yesterday.  We have to be able to do better than that next year.  McGruder and Judge are going to be, much, much better, and Kelly only started showing his potential these past few games.  Now if we can just get Jamar and Dom to stop crapping their pants and Asprilla is at least better than Colon, we'll be fine.  Denis can't be replaced, but is we get better at the other 4 positions, we'll be alot tougher to contain.  I'm also betting Frank moves Pullen to the point.  We need experience there, and if he has any hope of getting on an NBA roster, it will have to be at the point.  Irving will be a solid backup, but having scoring at all 5 positions (or at least 4 if Sutton's in the game) will make us a lot tougher to defend.  We made it real easy on Butler by only having scoring threats at 3 spots.

Martin was drafted in the fifth round of the 2000 NFL Draft by the Pittsburgh Steelers. In 2004, Martin retired as an Oakland Raider after four NFL seasons. Martin spent one season in the NFL Europe league[1]. During the 2002 season, he led the Rhein Fire to a league best 7–3 record. The Fire lost in the World Bowl, falling 20–26 to the Berlin Thunder.

Martin owns Playmakers Sports, a company specializing in sports event planning, quarterback training, and skills development and is a college football expert on Comcast Sports Southeast program Talkin' Football. He is a quarterback coach for the Nike Elite 11 Quarterback Camps, Nike Football Training Camps, and has trained many high school and Division 1 quarterbacks. In 2008, Martin created the "Dual Threat" Quarterback Camp and Academy in Atlanta, Georgia.

After one year as quarterbacks coach at New Mexico under Mike Locksley, Martin accepted the wide receivers position at the University of Kentucky to join new head coach Joker Phillips.

So he lasted longer than Terry Pierce?

Offline Do Work Son

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 07:19:27 PM »
   :bawl:  :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 07:26:52 PM »
No comparison. Only apt comparison to 98 was 88's elite eight loss to KU.
Yesterday was more like the 2000 Dr. Pepper loss to Oklahoma, maybe. Disappointing, but not devastating.

Offline Barry McCockner

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 07:52:19 PM »
Good comparison.  We shouldn't have been in that game, but somehow were at the end.
"WELL BARYY YOU GOTTA DO WHAT YOU DO BECUZ IF YOU DONT DO IT, THEN WHO WILL - YOU GOTTA HAVE HART AND DATERMANASHIN AND FLOURIDE IN YOUR SYSTEM TO BE A TRUE CHAMPION" - The Ed

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 07:53:17 PM »
mods please move this thread to football forum.  tia

Offline TheFormerKCCat

• DoD/Early 90s Era EMAWr
  • Combo-Fan
  • Loyal to a fault
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 12:35:54 AM »
'98 was MUCH worse by every comparison.  We were EXPECTED to be in the (M) National Championship game that year.  This year in Basketball, perhaps, if we would have defeated all teams against whom we were faves (Ole Miss, Iowa State and Okie State part I), plus pulled out 1 of 3 or 2 of 3 (BXII Tourney) vs. the University of Kansas and thus broken into the top spot near the end of the season we could start comparing.

Nobody in their right mind can say we were expected to be in the Finals at the Final four this year in basketball.  I hope to be in a situation a la '98 FB in both Basketball and Football again (but with positive outcomes).  RE:  Basketball, keep Frank in place, get some more talent and let's see for next year and beyond.

Alas, Football has some major work to accomplish before we can sniff that level of eliteness again.
I'm in it purely for the entertainment value.

Offline goldenticket

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 12:44:17 AM »
98 is way worse. i dont even like to think about 98

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 11:46:25 AM »
I think KU losing to UNI (from their viewpoint) is probably as bad or worse than our view of The Game That Shall Not Be Mentioned.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 12:06:11 PM »
I think KU losing to UNI (from their viewpoint) is probably as bad or worse than our view of The Game That Shall Not Be Mentioned.

No.  They won a national championship two years ago.  If we'd have won a football national championship in 1996, then 1998 would have been 100x less painful.