Author Topic: Not sure if I'll ever get over this loss...  (Read 1803 times)

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
Not sure if I'll ever get over this loss...
« on: March 29, 2010, 10:25:53 AM »
Not as bad as '98, but still hurts.

Pretty tired of the 'overachieve' mantra. There's no such thing as over or underachieving. Your results signify the type of team you are. This was a great team that had the chance the win the title. All we had to do was beat Butler. Butler.

Most champions would find a game that they would be the underdog in. K-State would not have found itself in a game where it was the underdog this tournament. It all opened up for us. We had our chance.  This hurts. :frown:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline weird roberts foam finger

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Not sure if I'll ever get over this loss...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 10:42:20 AM »

Pretty tired of the 'overachieve' mantra. There's no such thing as over or underachieving. Your results signify the type of team you are. This was a great team that had the chance the win the title. All we had to do was beat Butler. Butler.

Most champions would find a game that they would be the underdog in. K-State would not have found itself in a game where it was the underdog this tournament. It all opened up for us. We had our chance.  This hurts. :frown:

Not true.  We would be underdogs against WVU or Duke.  I'd call that the "real" championship game, but that would be doing a grave disservice to Izzo, who is simply the best there is.  I can't write MSU off for that reason alone.
"It could be best for his family for Cole to come back." -- Bill Self, NBA career killer

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 10:48:52 AM »
There's no such thing as over or underachieving.

:facepalm:

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 11:02:25 AM »

It's the stupidest phrase in sports. The fact that we rely on opinions of uninformed journalists to signify whether a team did better than they should have is mind blowing.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 11:12:14 AM »

At the end of the day, this team ended up exactly where they were predicted.

The final rankings had KSU at #7.  Making the Elite 8 proves that was right.

KSU was a 2 seed.  Based on the seeding, that was exactly right.

Ken Pom had KSU at #8, again, they were right where they should be based on his stats.

Sagarin had KSU at #6, and again, we're right where we should be.

By the end of the year, all of the voters and computers had KSU right where they played to in the tournament.  It's kind of scary actually.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 11:13:06 AM »

Ken Pom had KSU at #8, again, they were right where they should be based on his stats.

By the end of the year, all of the voters and computers had KSU right where they played to in the tournament.  It's kind of scary actually.

Yet there are two 5 seeds playing to go to the National Title game.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 11:22:07 AM »

It's the stupidest phrase in sports. The fact that we rely on opinions of uninformed journalists to signify whether a team did better than they should have is mind blowing.

Who said anything about relying on sports journalists to form opinions for us? If you do that, that's stupid. But that hardly means nobody ever under- or overachieves.

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 11:27:00 AM »

Pretty tired of the 'overachieve' mantra. There's no such thing as over or underachieving.  Your results signify the type of team you are.  This was a great team that had the chance the win the title.  All we had to do was beat Butler.  Butler.

Logically inconsistent.  If there's no overachieve or underachieve -- and according to your results-based argument -- Butler is just a better team than we are.  So why get so upset about losing to them in particular?
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 11:34:03 AM »
1st, Butler is good, but I can understand being disappointed in losing to a Horizon League team.  However, if we had played any other team that started the season ranked 10/11 and finished ranked 8/11 in the polls we wouldn't be as disappointed with a loss. 

We really had the ultimate mid-major road as well, but each team we played was probably underseeded by about 1/2 seeds b/c they were from non-BCS leagues.  I think its safe to say that BYU could've easily been a 5/6 seed (or better), Xavier a 4/5 seed, and Butler a 3/4 seed.  BYU finished the year ranked 16/17 and Xavier finished ranked 25.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 11:35:05 AM »

Yet there are two 5 seeds playing to go to the National Title game.

Michigan State always gets to the Final Four regardless of what their seed is.

I mean, for God's sake, the man has been to 13 consecutive NCAA tournaments, and they've gone to the Sweet 16 or better nine times.  They defy any sort of objective or subjective analysis.

Butler caught us on a bad day and was a bad match-up for Syracuse.  We lost all of our juice and mojo against Xavier.

Weird stuff happens in March, but KSU played right about where folks thought they would.  No one can go back and say, "Well, KSU...they were overrated/underrated."  KSU pretty much proved without a shadow of a doubt that they were a top eight team this year in about every way imaginable.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 11:36:24 AM »
1st, Butler is good, but I can understand being disappointed in losing to a Horizon League team.  However, if we had played any other team that started the season ranked 10/11 and finished ranked 8/11 in the polls we wouldn't be as disappointed with a loss. 

We really had the ultimate mid-major road as well, but each team we played was probably underseeded by about 1/2 seeds b/c they were from non-BCS leagues.  I think its safe to say that BYU could've easily been a 5/6 seed (or better), Xavier a 4/5 seed, and Butler a 3/4 seed.  BYU finished the year ranked 16/17 and Xavier finished ranked 25.

Ken Pom had the teams ranked like this:

BYU: 10
XU: 15
BU: 14

This was as of last Friday.  That's a brutal stretch of basketball right there.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 11:53:53 AM »
We have some FP's in our fanbase, jfc.

btw, thanks for the stats panj.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 12:03:59 PM »
I feel crappier today than I'd hoped.  But I think a lot of it may have to do with not getting to watch this team play any more games.  I really enjoyed this season.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 12:08:32 PM »
I remember when Huggins left and we were talking about how Mark Fox wouldn't come here and we'd have to fill 8 scholarship with juco guys as soon as we hired some slth and the recruits all left.  Makes me lol at anyone who is still whining. 
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 12:09:46 PM »
I feel crappier today than I'd hoped.  But I think a lot of it may have to do with not getting to watch this team play any more games.  I really enjoyed this season.

This.

By far the most disappointing part is not being able to watch this team anymore.  This has been by far the pinnacle of my K-State hoops fan experience, and probably tops any DOD season experience except maybe 98.  JMHO.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 12:48:03 PM »
I remember when Huggins left and we were talking about how Mark Fox wouldn't come here and we'd have to fill 8 scholarship with juco guys as soon as we hired some slth and the recruits all left.  Makes me lol at anyone who is still whining. 

Exactly. Let's just cherish what we've been given from the basketball gods and not ask for anything, because we're not worthy.

:jerk:

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 12:51:00 PM »

Who said anything about relying on sports journalists to form opinions for us? If you do that, that's stupid. But that hardly means nobody ever under- or overachieves.

Then you pay no attention to rankings, right?

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 12:51:19 PM »

Pretty tired of the 'overachieve' mantra. There's no such thing as over or underachieving.  Your results signify the type of team you are.  This was a great team that had the chance the win the title.  All we had to do was beat Butler.  Butler.

Logically inconsistent.  If there's no overachieve or underachieve -- and according to your results-based argument -- Butler is just a better team than we are.  So why get so upset about losing to them in particular?

Damn you...