Author Topic: Lets Talk Skiing  (Read 20597 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Lets Talk Skiing
« on: November 12, 2013, 08:57:44 AM »
I love skiing! My bro's and I have a little mini tradition of going on a ski trip to Colorado every January and its a blast!

We typically drive out to Keystone/Breck/Dillon from KC on Thursday around noon, ski Friday Saturday sunday then head back on Monday!

We are getting a big group of around 10-15 bro's and GF's this time and will be renting a house in Dillon(Hot tub is the only firm requirement) then skiing A-Basin/Breck/Copper.

I'm a pretty laid back skier and usually only do about 1 black a day. I spend the rest of the time cruising down blues and pounding beers on the ski lift...My favorite thing to do is follow random trails into the woods to see where they take me!

Where do you like to go on your ski trips?

Where do you stay?

What kind of Skier are you(Greens? Blues? Blacks? DOUBLE DIAMOND BLACK?!?)?

Do you think Asava will drive up from New Mexico to hang with a bunch of his IRL buds in Dillon?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Talk Skiing
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 09:01:29 AM »
 :Wha: do the exact same every year

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 09:02:46 AM »
Why do you go in January?  March is much better, IMO.

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 09:04:50 AM »
Ben Ji remember last year when you drove out in the middle of a winter death storm and totally mushed its face and made it your bitch?

:driving: :emawkid:
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 09:05:01 AM »
Why do you go in January?  March is much better, IMO.

We try and go on slower weekends so there are less noobs on the slopes, usually aim between MLK day and March....going a little earlier than normal this year since a bunch of us have a bach party in vegas at beginning of march.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 09:05:08 AM »
I've never been. I also lived in Colorado for 4 years.  :frown:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 09:09:42 AM »
Ben Ji remember last year when you drove out in the middle of a winter death storm and totally mushed its face and made it your bitch?

Drove through TWO winter death storms...the way out and the way back.

We actually left early on Wednesday last year to try and beat the storm....It worked until we got past Salina....From Russel to Colby we were driving in whiteout blizzard conditions but kept pressing on because if we got off they would close the highway. We were literally going 20mph at times following tire tracks and those reflectors on the side of the road.

Made it all the way to Burlington before we called it a night...wake up the next morning and I-70 was closed east of Colby!!  :billdance: :billdance: :billdance:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 09:38:28 AM »
i usually stay in silverthorne and ski keystone outback back bowls

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline slucat

• GIRL ALERT, GIRL ALERT
  • Combo-Fan
  • This SLU, not the city
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 10:31:21 AM »
Grew up in northern New York and learned to ski on ice, that has set me up for blacks in Colorado.  I've gotten less aggressive on the hill the last few years, took a spill and twisted my knee on the last day we were there mid-day and quit then.   :cyclist:

We normally ski at Copper (a copper card for five days is $130 or so; passwagon.com or something) and stay on the east side or back of the mountain, hardly ever any lines since the mountain is segregated with its trails. This keeps us away from the n00bs. We used to go out twice during the winter to use the days, now with a toddler, we've been going once.  This year we hope to go in January alone for a long weekend and then take the little guy in March and try to get him on some skis.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 10:46:12 AM »
love to ski.  we used to drive but started flying and renting a car.  southwest regularly has KC-Denver for $100-150 RT if you wait for their sales.

last year did keystone two days (stayed in the village) and went to vail for a day.  vail was pretty great.
emaw

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 10:55:38 AM »
Grew up in northern New York and learned to ski on ice, that has set me up for blacks in Colorado.  I've gotten less aggressive on the hill the last few years, took a spill and twisted my knee on the last day we were there mid-day and quit then.   :cyclist:

We normally ski at Copper (a copper card for five days is $130 or so; passwagon.com or something) and stay on the east side or back of the mountain, hardly ever any lines since the mountain is segregated with its trails. This keeps us away from the n00bs. We used to go out twice during the winter to use the days, now with a toddler, we've been going once.  This year we hope to go in January alone for a long weekend and then take the little guy in March and try to get him on some skis.

Good stuf...parents used to take lil ben ji skiing and I always had a blast. I actually hadn't been skiing since 8th grade up until a couple years ago and was really thankful for the lesson's I got as a kid. My friends who had never skied before looked like total noobs and I lauged in their face as I VROOMED down the mountain.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 10:57:18 AM »
love to ski.  we used to drive but started flying and renting a car.  southwest regularly has KC-Denver for $100-150 RT if you wait for their sales.

last year did keystone two days (stayed in the village) and went to vail for a day.  vail was pretty great.

My friends did this one year and got some shitty rental car with no tread on their tires, ended up sliding all over I-70.

I don't really mind the drive and appreciate having our own vehicle out in the mountains.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 10:58:18 AM »
I don't like skiing. Cold/wet/expensive

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 10:59:11 AM »

A lot of people like to "go skiing" but they don't really enjoy the actual skiing part. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 11:01:43 AM »

A lot of people like to "go skiing" but they don't really enjoy the actual skiing part. 

well that seems kind of silly.

I also don't like driving in the snow and skiing has a very high risk of injury relative to the enjoyment I receive.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 11:06:29 AM »

We actually left early on Wednesday last year to try and beat the storm....It worked until we got past Salina....From Russel to Colby we were driving in whiteout blizzard conditions but kept pressing on because if we got off they would close the highway. We were literally going 20mph at times following tire tracks and those reflectors on the side of the road.

Made it all the way to Burlington before we called it a night...wake up the next morning and I-70 was closed east of Colby!!  :billdance: :billdance: :billdance:

Feb. 20th death storm?  I left Wichita at 10am to head to Breck that same morning!

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 11:09:06 AM »
I like to snowboard for about a half day.. would much rather go sledding!

The Big Train

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 11:12:04 AM »
Love to ski. Learned when I was younger but haven't been in awhile. I also love going off all the jumps, I wish I could do tricks and crap but it's still cool to fly. On a ski trip when I was younger TBT cousin ran into a snowblower, she was ok but it was really funny.

Black diamond level skier, not even half a green level snowboarder.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 11:14:09 AM »
My favorite part about skiing is making fun of all the skiers who aren't snowboarding.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 11:16:41 AM »
What's your guys' favorite continent to ski?  Obvs North American has a ton of variety but Europe has some great tradition and history.  South America is a sleeper, too.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 11:20:22 AM »
My favorite part about skiing is making fun of all the skiers who aren't snowboarding.

I'm too square to snowboard  :D

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 11:21:01 AM »

Feb. 20th death storm?  I left Wichita at 10am to head to Breck that same morning!

SAME ONE. We stayed in keystone though.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2013, 11:22:51 AM »
I learned how to ski last winter and now i would like to go skiing this winter

it was very fun. I probably even enjoyed the skiing part more than the boozing in the hot tub part.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 04:58:58 PM »
i've never been skiiing.  i would like to try it tho, looks fun.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2013, 05:02:11 PM »
the older you get the harder it is to learn, i didn't go until i was 19 and went with a group of college buddies that already had been several times.  It was pretty humbling seeing 5 year old kids flying down the mountain.  My balance isn't that great though, so if you have skateboarded, inlined, ice skated before it might translate.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best