Author Topic: _FANalysis: K-State QBs  (Read 22646 times)

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: _FANalysis: K-State QBs
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2013, 10:26:41 AM »
I agree that the fumble vs OSU was questionable, but the play was reviewed and upheld, so it still counts. 

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2013, 10:29:45 AM »
I believe Sams can be Roberson.  I want him to be Roberson.  The similarities are ridiculous.  especially within the context of their SO seasons. 

Robersons (6'1, 209 lbs) SO stats:

Passing:  54 of 136 (39.7%) (YPA 6.3), 855 yds, 4 TD/8 INTs.  Rushing:  142 attempts, 643 yds (4.5 avg), 9TDs. 

Sams (6'2, 207 lbs) SO stats through 2/3 of season:

Passing:  34 of 45 (75.6%) (YPA 9.29), 418 yds, 4 TD/4 INTs.  Rushing:  113 attempts, 595 yds (5.3 avg), 8 TDs.

He's got every bit of upside as Roberson and, of course, he's making the same mistakes Roberson made as a SO.  Give him the keys to the car.  Don't sacrifice the future.     

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2013, 10:29:52 AM »
zacker just got added to the list of people i'm going to push down the next time i see them in aggieville. idk what he looks like but i've heard that he's 35 and handsome. 35 year old handsome men beware.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2013, 10:32:29 AM »
I believe Sams can be Roberson.  I want him to be Roberson.  The similarities are ridiculous.  especially within the context of their SO seasons. 

Passing:  54 of 136 (39.7%) (YPA 6.3), 855 yds, 4 TD/8 INTs.  Rushing:  142 attempts, 643 yds (4.5 avg), 9TDs. 

Passing:  34 of 45 (75.6%) (YPA 9.29), 418 yds, 4 TD/4 INTs.  Rushing:  113 attempts, 595 yds (5.3 avg), 8 TDs.

He's got every bit of upside as Roberson and, of course, he's making the same mistakes Roberson made as a SO.  Give him the keys to the car.  Don't sacrifice the future.     

No, no, no, didn't you listen to waters_FAN? There is no comparison between Roberson and Sams, or 2002 and what 2014 could be, because Marc Dunn played a lot after Roberson got hurt!

catzacker

« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2013, 10:32:33 AM »
Ok, _Fan, I’ve been doing some analysis and here’s what I came up with:  When you take out all the bad things that happen when Sams is in the game, he has a 100% completion percentage,  4 TD’s to ZERO INT’s, and rushed for 8TD’s. 

Now, my analysis is a bit incomplete as I haven’t had the opportunity to go back and count the yardage that he would have had if his stupid receivers hadn’t dropped the ball and I haven’t been able to go back and add the touchdowns we would have scored had he not turned it over, but based on what I can tell, if you strip away any adversity, Sams is our guy.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2013, 10:35:23 AM »
No, no, no, didn't you listen to waters_FAN? There is no comparison between Roberson and Sams, or 2002 and what 2014 could be, because Marc Dunn played a lot after Roberson got hurt!

To be fair, michigancat made better points than me that favored the fact that there was a legitimate quarterback competition (and carousel) for most of the 2001 season.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2013, 10:35:26 AM »

That makes Sams look way way better than Ell. :sdeek:

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2013, 10:38:05 AM »
Ok, _Fan, I’ve been doing some analysis and here’s what I came up with:  When you take out all the bad things that happen when Sams is in the game, he has a 100% completion percentage,  4 TD’s to ZERO INT’s, and rushed for 8TD’s. 

Now, my analysis is a bit incomplete as I haven’t had the opportunity to go back and count the yardage that he would have had if his stupid receivers hadn’t dropped the ball and I haven’t been able to go back and add the touchdowns we would have scored had he not turned it over, but based on what I can tell, if you strip away any adversity, Sams is our guy.

It's not a question of whether Sams has made mistakes.  His fumble and INT stats speak for themselves.  The question is whether he's a better option for this season and for the next 2 years

catzacker

« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2013, 10:38:53 AM »

It's not a question of whether Sams has made mistakes.  His fumble and INT stats speak for themselves.  The question is whether he's a better option for this season and for the next 2 years?

well, let's just hope that TBL and TT are here for the next two years and that no adversity or anything bad happens. 

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2013, 10:39:43 AM »

Yes it does.  And, assuming he makes the improvements that Roberson made between SO and JR years (big assumption, granted), '14, '15 could be pretty special seasons. 

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2013, 10:40:05 AM »

To be fair, michigancat made better points than me that favored the fact that there was a legitimate quarterback competition (and carousel) for most of the 2001 season.

No he didn't. A&M was Roberson's first game off of injury, so he was undoubtedly still slowed. Then he got hurt again later in the year. The bowl was the only head scratcher for the QB slot that year. There was no controversy.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2013, 10:40:15 AM »

It's not a question of whether Sams has made mistakes.  His fumble and INT stats speak for themselves.  The question is whether he's a better option for this season and for the next 2 years?

well, let's just hope that TBL and TT are here for the next two years and that no adversity or anything bad happens.

wha?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2013, 10:40:54 AM »
Yeah, complaining about the fumble or who the wr's were really aren't necessary and give Waters_FAN and Waterszacker an easy out.

Sams wins out for any rational person regardless.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2013, 10:43:36 AM »

Even tho the stats don't show it, I think of Ell as the more explosive player than Sams both running and throwing.  If anything, Sams accuracy on short and intermediate passes is more desirable in today's Big 12 than Ell's ability to throw downfield. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2013, 10:45:43 AM »
Yeah, complaining about the fumble or who the wr's were really aren't necessary and give Waters_FAN and Waterszacker an easy out.

Thanks MichiSAMScat. I appreciate it.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2013, 10:46:33 AM »

stats show he's the better QB either way. But the fumble should absolutely be counted. and all his INTs. and anything else that actually happened. people saying that the fumble shouldn't count sound like people saying Waters' INTs the first few games (which _FAN says don't count) shouldn't be counted because Terrell sucks.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2013, 10:47:37 AM »
Even tho the stats don't show it, I think of Ell as the more explosive player than Sams both running and throwing.  If anything, Sams accuracy on short and intermediate passes is more desirable in today's Big 12 than Ell's ability to throw downfield. 

I agree completely with this, though it would be nice if he could get a few more deep throws. The late fade to Thompson was nice, though that ball was underthrown too, leading to a fantastic catch and pass interference.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2013, 10:47:58 AM »
It's like 2 job candidates walk in for a job interview at a widget factory.  They're both fairly comparable in a lot of respects.  one candidate is younger and has worked at the factory for a few years and is better at making widgets.  The other candidate is older, closer to retirement and came from a different factory that doesn't manufacture widgets.  both have missed a few days of work and mumped up a few things on the assembly line.  You've got to hire one of them. 

I mean, no brainer, right?     

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2013, 10:48:31 AM »

You're right, the stats don't show it.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2013, 10:49:12 AM »
It's like 2 job candidates walk in for a job interview at a widget factory.  They're both fairly comparable in a lot of respects.  one candidate is younger and has worked at the factory for a few years and is better at making widgets.  The other candidate is older, closer to retirement and came from a different factory that doesn't manufacture widgets.  both have missed a few days of work and mumped up a few things on the assembly line.  You've got to hire one of them. 

have either lost a huge contract to a D2 widget factory?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2013, 10:50:01 AM »
Agree with SD.  The certain TOs don't count or Waters was really 6-15 last game are bad arguments.  Waters was close enough to be effective on those throws and every Sams completion wasn't perfect if we're discounting things.  I think the decision should be based on stats and facts.

Stats and Facts say we should be Sams' Club

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2013, 10:52:19 AM »

You're right, the stats don't show it.

:thumbs:

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2013, 10:53:31 AM »
Let's all not forget that KU is still on the schedule at this point.  Given the keys to the Town Car, Sams could basically shatter all of Ell's SO stats in that game, alone.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 05, 2013, 10:57:59 AM »
Let's all not forget that KU is still on the schedule at this point.  Given the keys to the Town Car, Sams could basically shatter all of Ell's SO stats in that game, alone.

that will be prime opportunities for Waters' downfield passing that Bill is way too fond of, though.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 05, 2013, 10:58:28 AM »

have either lost a huge contract to a D2 widget factory?

Does one successfully build a widget 86% more often than the other? That's the guy I would hire if so. I don't really care about which one is older.