Author Topic: Kansas Governor watch (early polling)  (Read 33490 times)

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas Governor watch (early polling)
« Reply #300 on: November 13, 2014, 01:37:20 PM »
Going to be a lot of cheap unskilled labor in KS in like 18 yrs, or so.

He's trying to turn KS into Mexico to work in Koch factories.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 11, 2014, 12:04:06 AM »
Man, Brownback, what a stud. The Court says he has to spend more on education, so he takes the money out of KPERS!  :billdance:

http://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article4413431.html
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 11, 2014, 12:15:51 AM »
Yeah, take that teachers!

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 11, 2014, 06:17:25 AM »
Damn education dragging down the economy

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 11, 2014, 06:54:50 AM »
Yep.  Under funding pension by $7.4billion?   eff it, make a withdrawl. 

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 11, 2014, 08:12:37 AM »
Man, Brownback, what a stud. The Court says he has to spend more on education, so he takes the money out of KPERS!  :billdance:

Well, it is kind of weird that he rolled KPERS in to "per pupil" spending earlier when the state tried to work on the pension hole, but now he is using the term "classroom" spending because he raided the pension because of the budget short fall.  Brownback is certainly creative.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 11, 2014, 08:25:44 AM »

Well, it is kind of weird that he rolled KPERS in to "per pupil" spending earlier when the state tried to work on the pension hole, but now he is using the term "classroom" spending because he raided the pension because of the budget short fall.  Brownback is certainly creative.

I cannot verify, but this sounds right. Huge stud. Are SC Justices part of KPERS?  :Woot:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #307 on: December 11, 2014, 08:45:51 AM »
Just doing what Sebelius did. Not sure I see what the source of outrage is.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 11, 2014, 11:07:09 AM »
Government pensions are unsustainable and at some point yearly expenditures will be more than entire state and city budgets. New employees need to be put in 401k's like the rest of us.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 11, 2014, 11:19:27 AM »
Government pensions are unsustainable and at some point yearly expenditures will be more than entire state and city budgets. New employees need to be put in 401k's like the rest of us.

401k's are also unsustainable because people fail to adequately provide for their own retirements.  The nexus of low savings rates, unpredictable markets, stagnant wages, decreasing labor force, and the increasing reliance on 401ks will cause huge problems that are completely unrelated to pensions, but will ultimately result in remedies that will probably be more costly than adequately funding pensions.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 11, 2014, 11:33:46 AM »

401k's are also unsustainable because people fail to adequately provide for their own retirements.  The nexus of low savings rates, unpredictable markets, stagnant wages, decreasing labor force, and the increasing reliance on 401ks will cause huge problems that are completely unrelated to pensions, but will ultimately result in remedies that will probably be more costly than adequately funding pensions.

So what's the answer? If the governments are failing to adequately provide for their employees retirements, it seems the people need to do it themselves. 401k is the next best option.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 11, 2014, 11:56:43 AM »

This is humorously libtarded on many levels. So, 401ks are "unsustainable" because people are too stupid to fund them? Sounds like that's a problem with the people - not the investment vehicle.

I also like the acknowledgement of stagnant wages and a dimishing labor force. You know what will fix that? More liberal tax and spend redistribution of weath, like stuffing pension funds, amiright?

And then there's the "welp, we're better off just stuffing tax dollars into pensions instead of paying to take care of people later on" - 'cause those are totally the only two choices.

You know what would be a good policy? Phase in a complete dismanteling of KPERS, replacing it with modest wage raises.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 11, 2014, 11:58:23 AM »
A study by the Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research more recently pegged the combined total unfunded pension liabilities of CalPERS, the California State Teachers Retirement System (CalSTRS) and the University of California retirement plan at $485 billion.

that's about $44,000 for each taxpayer in the state.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 11, 2014, 12:23:10 PM »
A study by the Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research more recently pegged the combined total unfunded pension liabilities of CalPERS, the California State Teachers Retirement System (CalSTRS) and the University of California retirement plan at $485 billion.

that's about $44,000 for each taxpayer in the state.

Impossible. Cali has really high taxes.

Per the libtards, deficits are good and budgets are bad, so this really doesn't move the needle for me.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 11, 2014, 12:58:52 PM »
Who here is amazed that when you operate a pension, with a very large amt of employees, for a certain period of time, yet don't contribute adequately to it, that it creates a huge neg number?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 11, 2014, 01:10:43 PM »
Who here is amazed that when you operate a pension, with a very large amt of employees, for a certain period of time, yet don't contribute adequately to it, that it creates a huge neg number?

It's the "contribute adequately" part that keep tripping me up. I don't think we should contribute at all. Pay them a bit more and let them scrimp and save for their own damned retirement, like the rest of us.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 11, 2014, 01:17:32 PM »
I have both a 401k and a pension but I work for euros

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 11, 2014, 01:21:00 PM »

It's the "contribute adequately" part that keep tripping me up. I don't think we should contribute at all. Pay them a bit more and let them scrimp and save for their own damned retirement, like the rest of us.

That is fine.  Just don't hire the employee with a given stated benefit package then underfund it without an alternate plan. 

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 11, 2014, 01:23:39 PM »

My employer matches my 401k contribution. I wouldn't work for anyone who didn't offer a pension or some sort of retirement benefit.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 11, 2014, 01:24:30 PM »

My employer matches my 401k contribution. I wouldn't work for anyone who didn't offer a pension or some sort of retirement benefit.

Yeah and he can't go dip into that money when he fucks up the financial management of his company.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 11, 2014, 04:30:51 PM »
Are state employees allowed to opt out???

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 11, 2014, 04:38:06 PM »
Are state employees allowed to opt out???

Even if you can opt out, it's probably not a good idea.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 11, 2014, 04:42:48 PM »
I mean, are people paying in that won't see the money again?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 11, 2014, 04:53:58 PM »
I contribute quite a bit to my 401k, and I'm worried about the market crashing like the depression or a complete economy collapse but in that case I figure pretty much everyone is mumped and there are bigger problems to worry about than a stock portfolio.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 11, 2014, 05:02:50 PM »
You don't have to buy stocks in your 401k retards.

The most glaring example as to why a government can't be trusted with a defined benefit retirement plan is social security.