Author Topic: _FANalysis: Stillwater Change  (Read 1543 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
_FANalysis: Stillwater Change
« on: October 10, 2013, 01:54:21 PM »

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
Re: _FANalysis: Stillwater Change
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 01:55:51 PM »
STR8 2 THE BOTTOM!

Similar to other young quarterbacks like Beasley and Roberson in Snyder’s system, Sams will have struggles, but the upside he brings is hard not to see and something this staff should use to K-State’s advantage.

:Woot:

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 02:00:12 PM »
_Fan, the ints, especially the last 2, should those plays have us concerned about Sams' arm strength or was it merely bad decision making? The deep balls all game were something many have brought up as a big downside to his game, and those throws looked like they just didn't have the velocity on them to complete the passes.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 02:12:27 PM »
_Fan, the ints, especially the last 2, should those plays have us concerned about Sams' arm strength or was it merely bad decision making? The deep balls all game were something many have brought up as a big downside to his game, and those throws looked like they just didn't have the velocity on them to complete the passes.

The last one was just a forced ball and honestly wasn't even close to the receiver. I'm not sure what Sams saw there.

The 2nd to last one it looks like OSU kind of baited him into the throw. I'm not sure he saw the linebacker drop underneath the route and he likely had his outside receiver open. K-State used quite a few trips combination routes, usually with one receiver going deep and 2 running shorter curls or dig routes in combination. For much of the game Sams was finding receivers underneath and on that one he decided to look at the deep route. In addition to being a tough throw, he underthrew the ball as well.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 02:23:28 PM »
You think he can develop to throw a good deep ball?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 02:25:40 PM »

I think his arm is strong enough and he should be able to develop some accuracy. His short/intermediate accuracy against Oklahoma State was pretty good.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 02:33:06 PM »

I think his arm is strong enough and he should be able to develop some accuracy. His short/intermediate accuracy against Oklahoma State was pretty good.
Does the qb have to be able to throw a deep ball? Why not just dink and dunk people to death?

Am I confused or did Ell and Bishop not do much possession passing ala Chad May / Mitch Running? Seemed like they just threw bombs over the top to Darnell, QMorg and James Terry.

Offline AndrewVonLintel

• Purple Prince Thrice Crowned in MMXIII
  • Combo-Fan
  • Purple Get Ready To Roll!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 04:42:16 PM »
I think his downfield passes (over 20 yards) were horrible decisions and I can't rule out that he won't ever get it.

Sams is 2.5 years into his K-State career and he is behind  on many aspects of his game.

He brings some obvious advantages as well and I hope that we limit his downfield passing.

I think it is funny that we go from no passes to throwing it 20 times  a game. It is an odd progression from our coaches but whatever. I loved his short throws which were usually right on the money, like the in stride throw to Gronk.
Hire Brad Underwood Now!!!!!!

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 04:47:36 PM »
I think his downfield passes (over 20 yards) were horrible decisions and I can't rule out that he won't ever get it.

Sams is 2.5 years into his K-State career and he is behind  on many aspects of his game.

He brings some obvious advantages as well and I hope that we limit his downfield passing.

I think it is funny that we go from no passes to throwing it 20 times  a game. It is an odd progression from our coaches but whatever. I loved his short throws which were usually right on the money, like the in stride throw to Gronk.

Good points. As crazy as the coaching has seemed at times, I think the offensive game plan last week was really good for Sams. The insertion of Waters at times was weird, but still.

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 05:29:26 PM »
Trim mentioned this in the Sams/Thompson thread but I thought effortwise the receivers were great. Toe had shown zero ability to do anything in the first quarter of the season but made some really nice catches.  Granted, he was given more opportunities, but still he looked like a guy you can rely on.

Not saying this was the case, but inspiring other guys to care more is not a bad characteristic in a QB.

Offline wazucat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 06:52:10 PM »
Trim mentioned this in the Sams/Thompson thread but I thought effortwise the receivers were great. Toe had shown zero ability to do anything in the first quarter of the season but made some really nice catches.  Granted, he was given more opportunities, but still he looked like a guy you can rely on.

Not saying this was the case, but inspiring other guys to care more is not a bad characteristic in a QB.

Yeah that intrinsic leadership thing Bill is always babbling about.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 09:01:38 PM »

Just prior to the gpc guys going on record that Thompson didn't have mono, Bart Ray-Gun said that Sams had an advantage by having the #2 guys he's used to practicing with out there at WR.

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 09:50:15 PM »
Interesting that in being pro-Life I am starting to sound like a tuck.  Still, there are things he possesses - like toughness, confidence, being well-liked, etc - that are not as easily evaluated as how he throws a deep ball. I will say this and leave it at that: against Oklahoma State I think we tried harder and played better, and I think we tried harder and played better because Sams was our main QB.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 09:58:02 PM »
Interesting that in being pro-Life I am starting to sound like a tuck.  Still, there are things he possesses - like toughness, confidence, being well-liked, etc - that are not as easily evaluated as how he throws a deep ball. I will say this and leave it at that: against Oklahoma State I think we tried harder and played better, and I think we tried harder and played better because Sams was our main QB.

I know that I pak'd harder and cheered better.  #pullingweight