Author Topic: Government Shutdown  (Read 53895 times)

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Government Shutdown
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2013, 12:14:00 PM »
Don't fall into the "both sides are equally intransigent" talking point. One side is causing all of the problems, and it's by design. They've spent a lot of money on think tanks trying to figure out how to essentially break the government. They are mainly motivated by the fear of growing entitlements and environmental regulation. Democrats try to do something you don't like? Just control enough of the government to hold it hostage and get your way.

I don't recall seeing anything saying that one side was urgently and continually requesting the other come to the middle to discuss and negotiate any major issue.  They both continually stiff arm each other and suck.

What middle is there? Either they fund a law that was passed by both houses or they don't. What's the middle ground on that?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, 12:24:07 PM »
Don't fall into the "both sides are equally intransigent" talking point. One side is causing all of the problems, and it's by design. They've spent a lot of money on think tanks trying to figure out how to essentially break the government. They are mainly motivated by the fear of growing entitlements and environmental regulation. Democrats try to do something you don't like? Just control enough of the government to hold it hostage and get your way.

I don't recall seeing anything saying that one side was urgently and continually requesting the other come to the middle to discuss and negotiate any major issue.  They both continually stiff arm each other and suck.

What middle is there? Either they fund a law that was passed by both houses or they don't. What's the middle ground on that?

nothing ever gets passed on it's own merits.  There is always a deal on another issue, a rider, etc.

Also, the budget.  They both want one, but neither wants the other's idea of what it should be and both have declared that the aren't budging on some of the inclusions/requirements.  "We will not increase taxes one bit"  vs "We will not cut public service programs"

Can't have it both ways and both declare they won't budge on their stance.

Rather than giving and taking, they end up doing nothing and then we shut down.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 12:30:59 PM by CNS »

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2013, 12:28:34 PM »
Thanks Torell!

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2013, 12:33:37 PM »
FYI, the last repub budget only operated to delay the individual mandate 1 year.  If you recall, the mandate was delayed for businesses unilaterally earlier this year. The repubs proposed 3 budgets in 18 hours, the senate defeated them all.

The only negotiating was the repubs against themselves.  Of course libtard cofd is too busy watching MSNBC to know what's going on
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2013, 12:35:27 PM »
break the government.

I don't see a problem with this

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2013, 12:41:18 PM »
FYI, the last repub budget only operated to delay the individual mandate 1 year.  If you recall, the mandate was delayed for businesses unilaterally earlier this year. The repubs proposed 3 budgets in 18 hours, the senate defeated them all.

The only negotiating was the repubs against themselves.  Of course modtard cofd is too busy watching MSNBC to know what's going on

FYP

Again, there's really nothing to negotiate. AHA was passed by both houses and deemed constitutional by the Supreme Court.  The Republicans can get the majority in both houses and repeal the law. 

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2013, 12:42:46 PM »
Funny, you know what I think is crazy? How about doubling the national debt by $10 trillion over 8 years, while passing a massive new entitlement, pushing for amnesty to put millions more people on said entitlement, and never even passing a budget. Yeah, that seems pretty rough ridin' crazy to me. But to each his own....

This is a terrible partisan talking point.  It ignores the rules of the Senate.

Yeah, we've discussed this plenty in the "debt ceiling" thread. It's accurate. The GOP has proposed a number of budgets in the past few years. When is the last time the Dems in the Senate proposed one?

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2013, 12:49:31 PM »

The only negotiating was the repubs against themselves.  Of course modtard cofd is too busy watching MSNBC to know what's going on

FYP

Again, there's really nothing to negotiate. AHA was passed by both houses and deemed constitutional by the Supreme Court.  The Republicans can get the majority in both houses and repeal the law.

Why is okay to delay enforcement against business a year, but not individuals?  What does this have to do with a repealing a law passed in as dubious of a manner as possible.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2013, 12:50:33 PM »
You know the libtards are reeling when the filibuster graph comes out.

Offline theKSU

• Katpak'r
  • Team KSU
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2013, 12:52:29 PM »
break the government.

Well we still need one, or else it's back to caves and sticks and hunting and gathering.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2013, 12:56:48 PM »
break the government.

Well we still need one, or else it's back to caves and sticks and hunting and gathering.

I've managed to make it all day without moving into a cave or hunting and gathering for food.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2013, 01:01:18 PM »
what about the weed tho fsd?
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2013, 01:02:11 PM »
dnr thread but......DAT VOTER ALIENATION!   :love:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2013, 01:03:35 PM »
Why is okay to delay enforcement against business a year, but not individuals?  What does this have to do with a repealing a law passed in as dubious of a manner as possible.

I don't think it was ok to delay enforcement against businesses.

If you don't see this refusal to fund a law that was passed as a chicken crap maneuver, then maybe I have given you more credit than I should have. 

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2013, 01:04:00 PM »
Senate voted down the House whatever for a budget conference.  rough ridin' uncompromising House!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2013, 01:04:29 PM »
break the government.

I've managed to make it all day without moving into a cave or hunting and gathering for food.

Pics or it didn't happen.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2013, 01:05:12 PM »

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2013, 01:08:40 PM »

I don't think it was ok to delay enforcement against businesses.

If you don't see this refusal to fund a law that was passed as a chicken crap maneuver, then maybe I have given you more credit than I should have.

To be fair, that's exactly what those people were elected to do.

To your libtarded complaint, they compromised against themselves to only delay the individual mandate (bring individuals in parity with the relief obamatard gave business) one year.  Your defund argument is now a straw man.

If you were a real modtard, instead of a libtard, you'd realize the senate is currently the uncompromising party.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2013, 01:10:34 PM »
Don't they shut down every weekend for the most part?  I enjoy the weekend.

Offline Unruly

• Oh so Unruly.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2013, 01:12:10 PM »
Oh my god, this government shutdown is terrible! Can someone please FIND JA RULE?!!? I need to make sense of all this. WHERE'S JA??? Guide me Ja Rule.
:dance:

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2013, 01:12:27 PM »
Funny, you know what I think is crazy? How about doubling the national debt by $10 trillion over 8 years, while passing a massive new entitlement, pushing for amnesty to put millions more people on said entitlement, and never even passing a budget. Yeah, that seems pretty rough ridin' crazy to me. But to each his own....

Both sides are pretty worthless.  Neither know how to talk to each other anymore.  I mean, if you can't even listen to another's opinion, you certainly will miss opportunities to compromise, which is what this nation needs.  Middle ground legislation for middle ground ppl.  The problem is that moderation and middle ground isn't good news or radio discussion topics to ppl that like to be angry or entertained.

The secondary problem, which is what my other post was about, is that the actions we have as ppl to change is to throw out one Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) only to usher in another Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) that will be willingly led to the same level of inaction and corruption as the last Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) because the party that provides for them tells them how it's going to be.  This is why I said that sanity is not well backed or funded these days.  Its en vogue to be extremely stubborn these days.

Amen, brother. Look, the Dems want to spend more, the Pubs want to spend less. Let's just compromise and spend the same as we're doing now! Problem solved and nobody gets their feelings hurt!
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2013, 01:13:55 PM »
Don't they shut down every weekend for the most part?  I enjoy the weekend.

Sorry, weekends are officially cancelled until further notice due to the Federal Government SHUTDOWN.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2013, 01:18:58 PM »

Both sides are pretty worthless.  Neither know how to talk to each other anymore.  I mean, if you can't even listen to another's opinion, you certainly will miss opportunities to compromise, which is what this nation needs.  Middle ground legislation for middle ground ppl.  The problem is that moderation and middle ground isn't good news or radio discussion topics to ppl that like to be angry or entertained.

The secondary problem, which is what my other post was about, is that the actions we have as ppl to change is to throw out one Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) only to usher in another Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) that will be willingly led to the same level of inaction and corruption as the last Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) because the party that provides for them tells them how it's going to be.  This is why I said that sanity is not well backed or funded these days.  Its en vogue to be extremely stubborn these days.

Amen, brother. Look, the Dems want to spend more, the Pubs want to spend less. Let's just compromise and spend the same as we're doing now! Problem solved and nobody gets their feelings hurt!

Quit being stupid.  That is part of the problem.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2013, 01:21:41 PM »

Quit being stupid.  That is part of the problem.

It's the entire problem.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2013, 01:40:10 PM »
with this thread, the obamacare thread, the facebook thread and just listening to dumbasses talk at the office today has been a FANTASTIC day to sit up on my moderate throne and smuggly look down at everyone offering my fake pity.