Author Topic: we will never be this close to a final 4 again  (Read 9107 times)

cowbell17

Re: we will never be this close to a final 4 again
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2010, 10:09:52 PM »
and ur a dumbass if you think otherwise

You know.  You are right.  We should get rid of the Men's basketball program and just turn the Bram into a livestock judging arena.  Your ingenious clarity helped me to understand that we were foolish to even try competing in DI basketball.  Who the hell are we to damn near win the Big XII regular season and tourney.  Not only that... what the hell were the coaches and players doing making the NCAA tourney and winning game after game including one which was deemed an instant classic by nearly every pundit in the nation?  God knows we should have thrown in the towel long ago.  You...You are something special and that keen insight should do you well in life.  Really couldn't tell if you were A) fishing B) f@cking stupid C) a jock sniffing beaktard.  I'm leaning towards a combo of B & C.

Offline Barry McCockner

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2010, 10:16:38 PM »
Don't see Jake at point, McG at 2. In all likelihood it'll be Irving at PG with Russell filling Irving's role off the bench.
That would be step down from Denis in transition, outside shooting and shot creation. There could be improvement in defense where Irving shows signs of being something special. 

As I posted elsewhere, I wish we would have won the recruiting war for Marcus Denmon.

I just can't see us competing for the Big 12 with those guys filling the point.  Need experience there.  Jake has played the point before, and he'll have to play the point if he's going to land on a team in the league.  IMO McGruder is a lot closer to a starting 2 on the Big 12 level than Irving is as a 1, and the point is more important anyway, so you want the experience there.  Could be LBBIQ on my part.  We still have a scholly left as well, so that could change everything, although I'm not envisioning someone coming in and starting there the first year.
"WELL BARYY YOU GOTTA DO WHAT YOU DO BECUZ IF YOU DONT DO IT, THEN WHO WILL - YOU GOTTA HAVE HART AND DATERMANASHIN AND FLOURIDE IN YOUR SYSTEM TO BE A TRUE CHAMPION" - The Ed

Offline canadian_breeze

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2010, 10:43:53 PM »
and ur a dumbass if you think otherwise

You know.  You are right.  We should get rid of the Men's basketball program and just turn the Bram into a livestock judging arena.  Your ingenious clarity helped me to understand that we were foolish to even try competing in DI basketball.  Who the hell are we to damn near win the Big XII regular season and tourney.  Not only that... what the hell were the coaches and players doing making the NCAA tourney and winning game after game including one which was deemed an instant classic by nearly every pundit in the nation?  God knows we should have thrown in the towel long ago.  You...You are something special and that keen insight should do you well in life.  Really couldn't tell if you were A) fishing B) f@cking stupid C) a jock sniffing beaktard.  I'm leaning towards a combo of B & C.

was melting down some anger, chillax brosif

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2010, 12:33:52 AM »
You guys will be close again... just keep Frank away from the Mizzou co-eds!!

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2010, 12:44:44 AM »
Butler whipped K-State's ass, just admit it.   They had a better gameplan, they executed and they played great defense.   Their good defense, and our head down dribbling guards ensured that we couldn't close the deal when we forced their turnovers.

If their gameplan was for us to miss every single open mid-range jumper, numerous wide open layups, and for all our bigs to forget how to rebound, then yes, they executed it to perfection.

Offline TheFormerKCCat

• DoD/Early 90s Era EMAWr
  • Combo-Fan
  • Loyal to a fault
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2010, 01:02:21 AM »
Mark this down in ink:  as long as we have Frank Martin at the wheel we will absolutely and positively exceed this opportunity and circumstance again.  We will proceed to the Final Four with Frank (and maybe even win it all).

Now, I'm not a Pollyanna sunshine pumper.  So read on.

Clemente was/is a huge cog in this year's machine.  As one who appreciates the boricua spirit* that burns inside him, he was an artist on the floor for us.  There's no replacing Denis Clemente - he will be sorely missed and I'm so sad to see his playing days end at K-State (I'm hoping Coach signs him on as a grad assistant for next year - see comments below).  We will struggle next year at moments given that we will PG by committee.  It may be painful, even moreso if Jake had never played at the 1 spot, but he has.

I wish Spradling had a year to play with Clemente because I think that's our hope for 2011 and beyond at PG -  but I digress.

Frank demands results.  If you think that Frank was not invested yesterday, then go back and watch the video on his pre-game and half-time talks.  He knew and stressed for the men that opportunities MUST be seized.  He will demand and work toward results no matter what the other variables around him are.  If 'Te 420K leaves, guess what?  Frank will find a way to recruit with the tools around him.

Someone mentioned that the bigs all choked.  Uh, brethren, Curt Kelly became a man (sorry for the cliché) before our eyes during this tournament.  If he can do that consistently next year, we have a leg up on the Big XII (assuming Aldrich is gone and Udoh considers bolting).  JamSam is a sophomore (remember that?).  'Nique is the topic of a separate post to come later.  I also believe that Freddy and Wally are going to do great things next year - we may go with the tallest lineup in the Big XII (country?) at times next year.

We may or may not see the Elite 8 next year - most of that will be determined by one Mr. Jake "Fear the Beard" Pullen and the level of leadership, consistency, and commitment he chooses to demonstrate.  But, mark my words, we WILL come this way again, and we will cross that bridge to the Final 4 again (which we have not done in my lifetime) - IF and only if, we retain one Mr. Frank Martin.

Sorry for the ramble, but I've been drinking and on vacation for a few days - I had to do it.   :drink:

*mistakenly typed "spirits," of course, Denis may very well have 'boricua spirits' (preferably Don Q or something similar) in him at this moment, but I meant to refer to his 'espíritu boricua.'
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 01:13:44 AM by TheFormerKCCat »
I'm in it purely for the entertainment value.

Offline TheFormerKCCat

• DoD/Early 90s Era EMAWr
  • Combo-Fan
  • Loyal to a fault
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2010, 01:07:13 AM »

Kstate was fatigued. They showed it the moment the ball was tipped.

They couldn't whip Ksu's ass since Ksu was too busy dragging its own ass on the floor.

BTW - I'm not subscribing to this line of reasoning.  No excuses.  Butler outplayed us, beat us, kicked our behinds.  We couldn't hit a shot and we have to give credit to Butler for that.  We also let them make shots almost at will.  That little cut to the basket by their forward (who's man was THAT?, 'Nique?, Curt?, Louie?, Wally?) absolutely killed us. 

Had to put in my $.02 regarding this since I'm awake, drinking and got the fingers warmed up.
I'm in it purely for the entertainment value.

Offline weird roberts foam finger

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2010, 09:53:26 AM »

They couldn't whip Ksu's ass since Ksu was too busy dragging its own ass on the floor.

BTW - I'm not subscribing to this line of reasoning.  No excuses.  Butler outplayed us, beat us, kicked our behinds.  We couldn't hit a shot and we have to give credit to Butler for that.  We also let them make shots almost at will.  That little cut to the basket by their forward (who's man was THAT?, 'Nique?, Curt?, Louie?, Wally?) absolutely killed us. 

Had to put in my $.02 regarding this since I'm awake, drinking and got the fingers warmed up.

When there's a ridiculous defensive breakdown, I just blame Rodney.  Seems to work out for me most of the time.

Also, I'm telling you, Big 12 is down next year.  If Udoh leaves and Pullen comes back (no reason to think otherwise at present), we'll be the best of a flawed bunch.  Reasonable expectation for next year would be Big 12 title and round of 16.  Anything beyond that is dependent upon us finding a miraculous 5* point guard in the next couple of months.
"It could be best for his family for Cole to come back." -- Bill Self, NBA career killer

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2010, 10:07:26 AM »

When there's a ridiculous defensive breakdown, I just blame Rodney.  Seems to work out for me most of the time.

Also, I'm telling you, Big 12 is down next year.  If Udoh leaves and Pullen comes back (no reason to think otherwise at present), we'll be the best of a flawed bunch.  Reasonable expectation for next year would be Big 12 title and round of 16.  Anything beyond that is dependent upon us finding a miraculous 5* point guard in the next couple of months.

don't know if i'll every 'expect' a conf title.  it's unreasonable to think we have had a terrible season by not winning big 12 title.  though next year should be our best chance in the last 25 or so years.  so warm up the 'history awaits' billboards.

royalswild

« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2010, 10:43:09 PM »
Bump.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2010, 11:31:23 PM »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2010, 12:26:52 PM »
Butler whipped K-State's ass, just admit it.   They had a better gameplan, they executed and they played great defense.   Their good defense, and our head down dribbling guards ensured that we couldn't close the deal when we forced their turnovers.

Butler also played a team that had just got done winning a late-night, double OT game that, statistically, has teams losing the following game in the tournament.  When Pullen said "all I could do was stare at the ceiling all night", I believe that coming off an emotional roller-coaster would have prevented me from getting any sleep too.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2010, 12:33:47 PM »
Shouldn't this have only got bumped if we did really good or really bad in the tourney? Bad timing IMO
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.