Author Topic: Way, way, way OT: Let's Fix a Dishwasher. (Together, as pals.)  (Read 1087 times)

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Way, way, way OT: Let's Fix a Dishwasher. (Together, as pals.)
« on: September 16, 2013, 09:33:53 PM »
Hey, EMAW irl friends. Recently bought a house and the existing dishwasher has gone from stud to pud in the last week. I have extensive experience fixing appliances (watched a couple of YouTube vids), but this dishwasher issue is really getting my goat.

Usually I would just SteveDave the mess out of this situation because :kstategrad:, but I really think I can do this one myself and feel like a baller/shot caller.

WonderMeal's Issue:
Dishwasher makes all the normal dishwashery sounds and whatever. Unfortunately, there's no water coming into the dishwasher to aid the thing that makes everything clean.

WonderMeal Diagnostic Tests and Results:
-Check the float cap thing to see if it works--YEP
-Take off the metal thing that keeps things from rolling under the dishwasher--CHECK, EVERYTHING IS GROSS UNDER HERE
-Look to see if the fan dealie on the bottom still turning--TURNING LIKE A DREAM STILL
-Unkink any hoses or whatever--NO PROBLEMO, AS NONE WERE KINKED
-Remove the water intake valve, clean out the gunky stuff, and shake it around to see if that does anything--NOPE

From my expert analysis, I'm guessing I need to replace the water intake valve. Any DishwasherCats or HomeownerCats have any other suggestos? (Really trying to not electrocute myself, guys. That's important to me.)

Please assist, as fixing the problem without calling someone will make me feel like a stud and a boss. One day I can even tell Wondermeal Jr. about the time his dad fixed the dishwasher. (At which point he'll say, "Why do you need to wash dishes when all of your meals come in pill form? It's 2045, WonderMeal Sr.")

Also, should I buy a Binford? Please advise.

:confused:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: Way, way, way OT: Let's Fix a Dishwasher. (Together, as pals.)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 09:47:05 PM »
is this a Chinese or 'merican dishwasher? that makes a BIG difference
I'm purple down

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 09:56:04 PM »
baking soda and vinegar

Offline KSUBrian

• Combo-Fan
  • Weird Robert is #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 10:15:05 PM »
Should be an electric valve somewhere after the water supply line gets to the dishwasher.  Either that valve has went bad, the wires that bring electric signal to valve are bad, or whatever sends electric signal to valve to activate has went bad.  Good luck.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 10:27:58 PM »
Should be an electric valve somewhere after the water supply line gets to the dishwasher.  Either that valve has went bad, the wires that bring electric signal to valve are bad, or whatever sends electric signal to valve to activate has went bad.  Good luck.

/thread

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 07:18:14 AM »
baking soda and vinegar

Will try.

Thanks, irl friend. Seems like 1 I can do, 2 is scary because electrocution, and 3 means I go the SteveDave route.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 07:23:59 AM »

ksubrian always has stud advice for stuff like this.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 07:25:37 AM »
this old blog feat: ksubrian

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 08:59:57 AM »
I agree with KSUbrian, it's the valve.  Pro-tip:  when searching for a replacement valve online, try including the word "solenoid", as that's the kind of valve it is.  Same kind of valves on your washing machine.  When it gets to the next cycle and you hear that click?  That's the solenoid valve opening/closing.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 10:48:30 AM »
I agree with KSUbrian, it's the valve.  Pro-tip:  when searching for a replacement valve online, try including the word "solenoid", as that's the kind of valve it is.  Same kind of valves on your washing machine.  When it gets to the next cycle and you hear that click?  That's the solenoid valve opening/closing.
This is awesome. Solenoids are like everywhere in your day to day life. It's all solenoids these days!

Offline KSUBrian

• Combo-Fan
  • Weird Robert is #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 09:45:00 PM »
This is awesome. Solenoids are like everywhere in your day to day life. It's all solenoids these days!
Don't forget servos!!