Author Topic: KU football is NOT going through a rough patch. Cheer on our hawk brothers here!  (Read 3222306 times)

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
Re: KU football is hurting
« Reply #1725 on: October 17, 2013, 11:38:14 AM »
Also, may I ask what the end game is here?  Are you guys trying to bash KU until one of our fans commits suicide or something?  Just seems really weird to have a 69+ page thread filled with this much hate and vitriol for a program that has been struggling the past few years.  Is this thread somehow therapeutic for the 'taters who lived through the '08 Orange Bowl/national title days? 

Too lazy to look, but I bet a high percentage of posts on this thread are by ku posters.

Ron Prince has more wins against a top 10 team than any ku coach in my lifetime. Think about that.

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: October 17, 2013, 11:38:52 AM »

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: October 17, 2013, 11:39:02 AM »
yeah at this point i don't understand how KU kids could talk bad about RP. 

it's pretty funny to hear KU kids say "well the hawks may be bad, but K-State will be really bad when OBz retires because hey just look at what Ron Prince did!"  Well Ron won more games in a single year than KU won during the 2010, 2011, and 2012 seasons combined.  Even during Prince's worst season, he still won 5 games.

Also, it's important to remember that Prince was, by all accounts, completely incompetent, but yet, he still bumbled his way into 5 wins at K-State. 

If anything, the Prince era should give confidence to K-Staters nervous about the Post Snyder days.  We can look East with relief and know that, even with Ron Prince, it will never be as bad as any one of the past 3 seasons the Jayhawks have suffered through.

There is such a thing as context.  Ron Prince had the luxury of playing in the Big 12 North and matching up against Baylor and Iowa State when they were absolute garbage.  The Big 12 is better from top to bottom now.  If your point is that the Ron Prince hire was better than the Turner Gill hire, I'd agree, but let's face it, both pretty much sucked.  Prince was a combined 0-9 against KU, MU, and NU.  That being said, Prince is still probably the 2nd-best coach in K-State football history, which is hilarious in and of itself. 

gill had as many wins in one year as weis does in his career combined at this point. think about the context in that

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: October 17, 2013, 11:40:57 AM »

gill had as many wins in one year as weis does in his career combined at this point. think about the context in that

Oh man, that is good context.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: October 17, 2013, 11:44:49 AM »
Beems, I've seen your work on the phog after a K-State loss. Stop playing victim here. Nobody's buying it.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: October 17, 2013, 11:50:22 AM »

it's pretty funny to hear KU kids say "well the hawks may be bad, but K-State will be really bad when OBz retires because hey just look at what Ron Prince did!"  Well Ron won more games in a single year than KU won during the 2010, 2011, and 2012 seasons combined.  Even during Prince's worst season, he still won 5 games.

Also, it's important to remember that Prince was, by all accounts, completely incompetent, but yet, he still bumbled his way into 5 wins at K-State. 

If anything, the Prince era should give confidence to K-Staters nervous about the Post Snyder days.  We can look East with relief and know that, even with Ron Prince, it will never be as bad as any one of the past 3 seasons the Jayhawks have suffered through.

There is such a thing as context.  Ron Prince had the luxury of playing in the Big 12 North and matching up against Baylor and Iowa State when they were absolute garbage.  The Big 12 is better from top to bottom now.  If your point is that the Ron Prince hire was better than the Turner Gill hire, I'd agree, but let's face it, both pretty much sucked.  Prince was a combined 0-9 against KU, MU, and NU.  That being said, Prince is still probably the 2nd-best coach in K-State football history, which is hilarious in and of itself. 

Case in point... you fail to see the context again in this situation.  Gill took over for a program that was coming off of a 5-7 season and multiple years of success under Mangino.  Weis took over for a program coming off of a 2-10 season.  A program that had been run into the ground by Gill.

Beems, I've seen your work on the phog after a K-State loss. Stop playing victim here. Nobody's buying it.

Link?

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: October 17, 2013, 11:52:36 AM »

Case in point... you fail to see the context again in this situation.  Gill took over for a program that was coming off of a 5-7 season and multiple years of success under Mangino.  Weis took over for a program coming off of a 2-10 season.  A program that had been run into the ground by Gill.

all i see are facts bud

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: October 17, 2013, 11:54:41 AM »
See you guys on the flip side. 

:buh-bye:

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: October 17, 2013, 11:59:06 AM »
guys we should give our ku bros some credit.  The history talking point and 0 national titles are truly valid talking points.  Teams Juggernauts like Yale, Princeton, Harvard, Minnesota...all have multiple national titles and I would argue they are just as relevant now as they've ever been.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: October 17, 2013, 11:59:33 AM »
See you guys on the flip side. 

:buh-bye:
That didn't take long. Longer than usual tho! We'll see ya during bball season, bud!

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: October 17, 2013, 12:05:52 PM »
Oh and beems, are you trying to get a 'tater to commit suicide in here? http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=172&f=2485&t=12133432&p=5

Offline timhawk

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: October 17, 2013, 12:06:49 PM »
70 pages
everyone is jealous

Offline SEK_EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: October 17, 2013, 12:07:24 PM »
guys we should give our ku bros some credit.  The history talking point and 0 national titles are truly valid talking points.  Teams Juggernauts like Yale, Princeton, Harvard, Minnesota...all have multiple national titles and I would argue they are just as relevant now as they've ever been.

This is absolutely a good point.  Hell, just the other day, me and some buds were trying to figure out how to score tickets to an Iowa-Minnesota game so we could watch a couple of former national champs battle it out for the coveted Floyd of Rosedale trophy.

Offline SEK_EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: October 17, 2013, 12:09:46 PM »

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: October 17, 2013, 12:10:30 PM »
Also, may I ask what the end game is here?  Are you guys trying to bash KU until one of our fans commits suicide or something?  Just seems really weird to have a 69+ page thread filled with this much hate and vitriol for a program that has been struggling the past few years.  Is this thread somehow therapeutic for the 'taters who lived through the '08 Orange Bowl/national title days?
Imagine some kid that tries too hard to be cool walk on some ice and fall. Then he tries to get up and he falls again. Does it again, still falls. You have to keep watching beeems because it just never gets old.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline timhawk

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1740 on: October 17, 2013, 12:14:06 PM »
everyone is jealous

Offline Trogdor

• Hoodcat
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: October 17, 2013, 12:14:18 PM »

Let me get it straight. According to you everyone is butthurt about the Orange Bowl, which KU got into proudly with such a great team. But at the same time, the conference was crappy and Prince only beat crappy teams, most of which were in the North, which both (please confirm the following) KU and K-state were both competing in. So if I'm getting this straight, KU only beat crappy teams in order to get into the Orange Bowl. Did I miss anything?
@Trogdor_gE

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: October 17, 2013, 12:16:01 PM »
70 pages

3:22AM

had to be up early...70 pages
44 days and ticking before your time is up. You really gotta dig deep while you can.

Offline timhawk

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: October 17, 2013, 12:18:34 PM »
70 pages

3:22AM

had to be up early...70 pages
44 days and ticking before your time is up. You really gotta dig deep while you can.

and I'll be back as ljmhawk2.0
everyone is jealous

Offline ZmoneyKSU

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: October 17, 2013, 12:23:12 PM »

Offline timhawk

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: October 17, 2013, 12:26:39 PM »
everyone is jealous

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: October 17, 2013, 12:32:29 PM »

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: October 17, 2013, 12:34:27 PM »

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: October 17, 2013, 12:35:11 PM »

You want the context?  Ok. 

First of all, Prince didn't inherit a whole lot in '06.  K-State was coming off two years that were putrid.  He started a freshman quarterback that he recruited his first year on the job.  That future pro was handing off to another future pro he recruited (johnson) and another true freshman he recruited (babyshaker).

Regarding the schedule, Prince split with Baylor.  Baylor also had 3 conference wins in '06 (the year they beat K-State), which, without looking it up, is probably right around Baylor's average Big 12 win total.  Baylor was awful in '07 and the Chizik era was terrible (although Prince lost a game to ISU), but to imply that Prince feasted on conference weaklings is outrageous.  If anything, Prince's downfall was losing games he was expected to win at the time (the loss to CU in '08 really sealed his fate).

Back then, OU and UT were superpowers and Prince played them.  I mean, Prince's biggest win was UT in '06 - they were top 5 at the time.  Prince also played two legit top 5 teams in '07 (KU and MU).  He also played at Auburn.  He also played two very good Louisville teams.  Prince played OU in '08 who went to a national title game.  All in all, K-State was playing a difficult OOC, the Big 12 had better teams during that era, and Prince certainly wasn't lucky enough to avoid those teams when they were hot.

There's been what, one legitimate top 5 team since the beginning of the Gill era (OSU '11)? 

So contextually, if we're ignoring the inherent advantages K-State's program has, Prince's job was harder than Gill's and Weis's.  The conference is worse now.  K-State's schedule was tougher back then. 

Prince played tougher teams, with a team he assembled, and won more games. 

So the point remains, even if this year and talent is 2004/2005, K-State could hire someone as inept as Prince, and the bottom is still higher than KU's best season since 2009, and even then, there would be k-state students (ahem) that would email the president of the university begging for that coach to be fired.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 12:58:22 PM by Dlew12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: October 17, 2013, 12:38:46 PM »
That Pepperjax guy is obsessed with Kstate