Author Topic: KU football is NOT going through a rough patch. Cheer on our hawk brothers here!  (Read 3220754 times)

Skipper44 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
They could probably bounce between Baker, and Emporia State then.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
I wonder if KU has asked KSU if they could play games in Manhattan?

I don't want to have to look at that awful turf on the TV

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Keeping with the theme of the Nazi Atlantic wall construction of KU Memorial Stadium - something that even the unknowing construction eye would immediately pick up on. 

The old girl proved not to be a soft underbelly, but rather a tough old gut in the demo process.

The amount of reinforced concrete in that ol' gal ... Someone said, and I admittedly have not confirmed it, that it was more concrete than was used in the Hoover Dam.

Admire that someone's ambition, but no.  The amount in Memorial was maybe 1-2 days' worth of concrete placed at Hoover.  They were running concrete continuously 12 hours a day for a couple years with only Christmas and Thanksgiving off in general.  In another measure, the amount of concrete in Hoover Dam would cover a football field to a height greater than the original World Trade Center Towers.

Yeah Spracne you stupid idiot.

I ADMITTEDLY DID NOT CONFIRM IT

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Washburn is 20 minutes away and Topeka is a major hawk town
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think they should just play all games on the road. Be like the Harlem Globetrotters.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile

Most likely is this.  Topeka is essentially Lawrence with more important people and a better airport

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
They should play wherever the KU Quidditch team plays.  Plenty of room.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
If you're not from Topeka you might not understand how popular the hawks are there. The trailer parks I grew up next to are a hawk flag bonanza, you'd think you were at the ol pissbarn itself.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
They could probably bounce between Baker, and Emporia State then.

I was personally thinking Ottawa, but between Baker, ESU, and Washburn they can collect em all. Maybe that's how they promote it. Go to all of ku's games across Kansas, get a free Salty Iguana gift card good for $50
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Wichita State

Who is gonna tell him

Do you think KU would fly or drive down to that stadium? I understand the Flint Hills aren't that mountainous as compared to the Rockies, but still...

They tore the stadium down this summer
What?!  Really?  Are they going to put something up to continue hosting state track?

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
Wichita State

Who is gonna tell him

Do you think KU would fly or drive down to that stadium? I understand the Flint Hills aren't that mountainous as compared to the Rockies, but still...

They tore the stadium down this summer
What?!  Really?  Are they going to put something up to continue hosting state track?

Yes, it will basically be a track stadium

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile

Most likely is this.  Topeka is essentially Lawrence with more important people and a better airport

There is more accuracy to this than our crimson and blue brothers are willing to admit.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile

There is more accuracy to this than our crimson and blue brothers are willing to admit.

And most peoples reactions to Topeka is "EWWWWW!"

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Yeah Spracne you stupid idiot.

Don't fault Spracne, he's just a product of a culture that thinks everything KU does is the biggest or the best.  Parochial ties are the hardest to break
An extremely provincial and non worldly crowd at KU. That’s why over 50% of their alums (still) live within 1.5 hours (or less)  from Lawrence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile

https://www2.ljworld.com/announcements/2024/jan/17/renovation-work-at-ku-football-stadium-making-it-very-possible-jayhawks-will-play-at-arrowhead/

On Wednesday, Girod said a final agreement still hadn’t yet been reached with Arrowhead Stadium officials, but the chancellor said that mainly was because KU had not yet been given the dates of its conference home games by the Big 12 Conference.

“We know who we are playing at home and who we are playing away, but we don’t know dates,” Girod said.

KU needs those dates before it could reach specific agreements with Arrowhead officials. Girod said he envisions a scenario where KU will play some of its home football games at David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium, while playing others at Arrowhead.

“I think that is very possible,” Girod said during a brief interview. “I think it is unlikely that (Arrowhead) would be able to accommodate every date we have.”

Girod said a decision on where games will be played next season will be made soon. He said the Big 12 schedule should be released this week. Once that decision is made, KU will finalize plans quickly. He said KU needs to have season ticket packages sent out to fans by the end of this month. Normally, they already would be sent out, but KU has opted to wait until the location issue is decided.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
Could you imagine the boost to Aggieville businesses if there was a KU game every weekend that KSU was on the road?  Or, a KU Friday night game AND a KSU saturday game?
the Collegian would run out of ink printing the blotter on monday morning
you’re exactly right.  there wouldn’t be a man, woman, child, or sheep, safe if we let them use our stadium on a regular basis. 

I vote no. 

now, as others have suggested- would Kauffman stadium be an option? but wouldn’t they just be moving from one dump to another, what’s gained?

maybe you're the captain of dumptown ever hear of that one stan

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile

https://www2.ljworld.com/announcements/2024/jan/17/renovation-work-at-ku-football-stadium-making-it-very-possible-jayhawks-will-play-at-arrowhead/

On Wednesday, Girod said a final agreement still hadn’t yet been reached with Arrowhead Stadium officials, but the chancellor said that mainly was because KU had not yet been given the dates of its conference home games by the Big 12 Conference.

“We know who we are playing at home and who we are playing away, but we don’t know dates,” Girod said.

KU needs those dates before it could reach specific agreements with Arrowhead officials. Girod said he envisions a scenario where KU will play some of its home football games at David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium, while playing others at Arrowhead.

“I think that is very possible,” Girod said during a brief interview. “I think it is unlikely that (Arrowhead) would be able to accommodate every date we have.”

Girod said a decision on where games will be played next season will be made soon. He said the Big 12 schedule should be released this week. Once that decision is made, KU will finalize plans quickly. He said KU needs to have season ticket packages sent out to fans by the end of this month. Normally, they already would be sent out, but KU has opted to wait until the location issue is decided.
This article was written one week ago fwiw.  Last year the football schedule wasn't released until 1/31.

I can't recall off the top of my head a similar deal happening anywhere else.  Even when you think of some of the more significant renovations (i.e. Cal/TCU) to existing stadiums, I don't remember Cal or TCU having to play home games off-site.  This thing is weird.

EDIT: I take that back, looks like Cal played at AT&T Park in 2011.  They also played their first game at Candlestick. However, that arrangement was made official 16 months before the 2011 season.  That kind of a timeline makes sense to me.  KU's situation of "we're not sure where all our games are gonna be next year" happening about 7 months before the season is probably unprecedented.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 10:49:08 AM by DQ12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile

Ahem, sir, but Topeka has TWO airports and they are both superior to the landing strip in Lawrence. The Philip Billard airport (original airport to the city on the NE side of town) Is a bustling general aviation airport that has a new terminal being built even as you read this as well as a popular restaurant within the current terminal building.

Forbes Field (south side of town) is a joint military and civilian airport featuring a base for the Kansas Air National Guard, Kansas Army National Guard, two separate aviation museums, a BBQ cafe, and an available Mercedes courtesy car for pilots to use to get around the city of Topeka.

Lawrence has (and this is straight from their website): Free parking, Terminal open for pilots daily, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m., Restroom, Pilot Weather and Flight Planning computer, Vending machines, Conference room available with reservation, Furnished lobby with TV and free Wifi. Plus they're just a general aviation airport; can't book commercial flights out that town.

This concludes PurpleOil's flyer talk.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
They had to start tearing down the POS without a plan because they were worried about Lance getting out scott free if they didn't.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
In what might be shocking news to Girod, the conference doesn't just release the schedule to the public and schools simultaneously. The amount of time varies from conference to conference, but they usually have at least a week (if not 2-3+ weeks) from when the schools receive the schedule to when it's announced publicly.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
I read somewhere the schedule is coming out publicly the 30th, so yeah they should 100% know

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Maybe they should take another look at playing games in Manhattan?  The travel time is about the same.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
They might have couch cushion money but not so sure they have cup holder money for those tolls going west.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Renting them BSFS for a year would be great on so many levels.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.