Author Topic: KU football is NOT going through a rough patch. Cheer on our hawk brothers here!  (Read 3145158 times)

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
Re: KU football is going through a rough patch
« Reply #23075 on: September 21, 2021, 12:55:27 PM »
An important question that needs to be asked:  What team will have KU as their football bitch if they move to
- Big 10?
-ACC?
-Pac 12?

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23076 on: September 21, 2021, 02:43:07 PM »
An important question that needs to be asked:  What team will have KU as their football bitch if they move to
- Big 10?
-ACC?
-Pac 12?

Michigan State
Duke
Kentucky UCLA
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 04:55:47 PM by MadCat »

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #23077 on: September 21, 2021, 03:27:28 PM »
Eh. Might want to check that conference alignment.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #23078 on: September 21, 2021, 03:52:57 PM »
Share in the misery with our friends at The Phog.

https://247sports.com/college/kansas/board/103723/Contents/post-baylor-171475794/?page=1

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23079 on: September 21, 2021, 04:56:24 PM »
Eh. Might want to check that conference alignment.
D'oh!  :facepalm:

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23080 on: September 21, 2021, 05:22:05 PM »
It's pretty well known the bidding war is between the SEC and B10 right now, though.

ACC in a distant third unless they can offer a larger share than the other loners in the league.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23081 on: September 21, 2021, 11:09:17 PM »
Honestly, do they have more "resources"??? Well, this is the same fanbase that believes the big 10 is their destiny and that Lawrence is a suburb of KC so...

lol, no, not even close. The harder to recruit to Manhattan is also hilarious to me. They legit think a kid from Dallas would seriously think Lawrence is some metropolis and Manhattan is a cow town. Like those grain elevators in Lawrence don't exist. These people have never been outside of Kansas or Missouri. To the rest of the country there's little to no difference between Manhattan and Lawrence.

Yup, really it boils down to them thinking about how great it is as a 30/40/50/60 year old living and working in KC and going to larrytown for a game is convenient vs a 18-22 year old leaving lawrence to go to KC for *pick a thing*. The thing is the kids do not care nor have the money/time/care or willing to take the risk to go to what, Westport, PNL, the Crossroads for the evening? or better yet the salt iguana in corinth square?

The answer is hell no. Any college kid is going to stay in that town and hit up the bars and babes down the street, which renders "being somewhat close to KC" such a dumb thing to recruit on. I remember all my friends from my high school in Wichita who went to ku saying they never went to KC, why would they? It's a drive, nd now they gotta either have a place to stay or a dd to get them back, a logistics mes, or just be dumb and get pulled over with a dui partying there, and plus, all their college friends are guess what, back in Lawrence.

Long way of saying mir is 100% right, no kid from anywhere outside the kc metro is going to care at all, afterall, it's not like Tuscaloosa, or Clemson, or Auburn, or Baton Rouge are hurting recruiting while Miami, UCLA/USC, and  Rutgers are just wiping the floor with the competition year in and year out.

A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23082 on: September 22, 2021, 06:31:54 AM »
Honestly, do they have more "resources"??? Well, this is the same fanbase that believes the big 10 is their destiny and that Lawrence is a suburb of KC so...

lol, no, not even close. The harder to recruit to Manhattan is also hilarious to me. They legit think a kid from Dallas would seriously think Lawrence is some metropolis and Manhattan is a cow town. Like those grain elevators in Lawrence don't exist. These people have never been outside of Kansas or Missouri. To the rest of the country there's little to no difference between Manhattan and Lawrence.

Yeah, I don't know how anyone can objectively look at the two programs and say the resources are even close. I mean, they're just now getting an indoor practice facility. We've had ours since, what... 1994? Take location and the towns themselves completely out of it; it's obvious that KU only cares about basketball while K-State has focused on a total athletic program buildup with football at the forefront.

Offline jonsjasper

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23083 on: September 22, 2021, 09:37:18 AM »
Long way of saying mir is 100% right, no kid from anywhere outside the kc metro is going to care at all, afterall, it's not like Tuscaloosa, or Clemson, or Auburn, or Baton Rouge are hurting recruiting while Miami, UCLA/USC, and  Rutgers are just wiping the floor with the competition year in and year out.

the general media narrative about certain cities being "tough to recruit to" is so over played and rarely checks out. it might hold some water when talking about genuinely isolated places like pullman or lubbock. but a winning football program/culture will always trump any geographical issues or city amenities.

clemson, tuscaloosa, etc are tiny towns with giant colleges that offer the same amenities as any other college town. south bend has absolutely nothing going for it outside of ND. players want to play somewhere where they'll win and get national media attention. that's all that ultimately matters with the top talent.

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23084 on: September 22, 2021, 09:33:46 PM »
Kind of off topic, but walk Mass Street today. Gone was the guitar playing gravely voiced guy in the 900 block of W. Mass, the three homeless people who hang near the old Sears, the old guy who always sits against the storefront near the barbershops on the 800 block of E. Mass. I didn't walk down the mid-block alley access new the parking meter for homeless donations in the 700 block of E. Mass to see if the homeless who always gather there were gone, but my impression is Lawrence cracking down on downtown street people. I worked in downtown Lawrence of a decades and these people were fixtures.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23085 on: September 23, 2021, 07:27:46 AM »

https://247sports.com/college/kansas/board/103723/Contents/post-baylor-171475794/?page=1

Wow, I thought the analysis by KU fans was pretty good, and play dissection via video was very good.  It was refreshing to see them focus on their team rather than their resentment of K-State.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23086 on: September 23, 2021, 07:34:48 AM »

Wow, I thought the analysis by KU fans was pretty good, and play dissection via video was very good.  It was refreshing to see them focus on their team rather than their resentment of K-State.

It was good, not nearly as good or as in-depth as Fan's breakdowns on KSO, but certainly a level of knowledge that far supersedes their weirdness and hating on the taters posting.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23087 on: September 23, 2021, 09:25:56 AM »

the general media narrative about certain cities being "tough to recruit to" is so over played and rarely checks out. it might hold some water when talking about genuinely isolated places like pullman or lubbock. but a winning football program/culture will always trump any geographical issues or city amenities.

clemson, tuscaloosa, etc are tiny towns with giant colleges that offer the same amenities as any other college town. south bend has absolutely nothing going for it outside of ND. players want to play somewhere where they'll win and get national media attention. that's all that ultimately matters with the top talent.
Went to AL this summer. Tuscaloosa puts the "tough to recruit to" thing to rest forever.

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23088 on: September 23, 2021, 06:17:55 PM »
One thing to keep an eye on.  Can we beat Kansas to 600 wins?

They have 587
We have 546

Kansas needs to keep winning about 1-2 games a year.  And we need to win about 8-9 games a year.  It's probably not possible but could come down to the wire.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23089 on: September 23, 2021, 06:50:49 PM »
Rent free
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23090 on: September 23, 2021, 08:00:35 PM »
One thing to keep an eye on.  Can we beat Kansas to 600 wins?

They have 587
We have 546

Kansas needs to keep winning about 1-2 games a year.  And we need to win about 8-9 games a year.  It's probably not possible but could come down to the wire.

I had a multi-graph breakdown and historial analysis on this a year or so ago. I will find it and update it the week we play them.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23091 on: September 23, 2021, 08:02:34 PM »
The many KU grads I've come across since living in Kansas City don't go to Lawrence very much, unless they have tickets to a basketball game.  Most don't follow football, or at least don't go to games.  So much for proximity.

All older KU grads are brainwashed to believe that Lawrence is the Bohemia of Kansas, and go there occasionally to feel cool, and well, Bohemian.  They tend to be shocked when I tell them that Lawrence has more tractor dealerships within a 5 mile radius of campus compared to K-State.  They also dispute that Manhattan residents enjoy, on average,  a higher income, lower unemployment, and less homelessness.  It really messes with their mind that someone would question how cool Lawrence is compared to Manhattan.  It would force them to say that lower income/higher unemployment/higher rate of homelessness is "cool".

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23093 on: September 23, 2021, 10:43:37 PM »
The many KU grads I've come across since living in Kansas City don't go to Lawrence very much, unless they have tickets to a basketball game.  Most don't follow football, or at least don't go to games.  So much for proximity.

All older KU grads are brainwashed to believe that Lawrence is the Bohemia of Kansas, and go there occasionally to feel cool, and well, Bohemian.  They tend to be shocked when I tell them that Lawrence has more tractor dealerships within a 5 mile radius of campus compared to K-State.  They also dispute that Manhattan residents enjoy, on average,  a higher income, lower unemployment, and less homelessness.  It really messes with their mind that someone would question how cool Lawrence is compared to Manhattan.  It would force them to say that lower income/higher unemployment/higher rate of homelessness is "cool".

The venn of people who believe Lawrence is an upscale liberal bastion and Manhattan is a rotting, outdated cow town versus those who have never actually been to Manhattan (and many of them Lawrence either) is basically a single circle

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23094 on: September 24, 2021, 01:28:02 AM »

The venn of people who believe Lawrence is an upscale liberal bastion and Manhattan is a rotting, outdated cow town versus those who have never actually been to Manhattan (and many of them Lawrence either) is basically a single circle

The people who call Lawrence "Liberal Lawrence" while lacking a similar moniker for Manhattan consist, at the very least, of my parents. It's not that Lawrence is all that liberal. It just appears that way in contrast to what's around it. Similar to Austin, where I've spent the plurality of my life. As a simple observer, neither place is very progressive. But a nice mix of views can't be a bad thing so long as things otherwise get done, right?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #23095 on: September 24, 2021, 06:58:25 AM »
If I spend anytime in retirement in this state, it will be in Lawrence. I'll probably move there once my kids are off to college.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23096 on: September 24, 2021, 10:26:22 AM »
FWIW Ames is much more liberal than both Manhattan or Lawrence, it's quite the shocker.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23097 on: September 24, 2021, 10:52:26 AM »
I believe it. The traveling gingers who made the trek to the last KSU/ISU game that I attended all had Bernie bumper stickers on their cars.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #23098 on: September 24, 2021, 10:55:38 AM »
Red heads hate getting made fun of. They want equal rights. It makes sense.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23099 on: September 24, 2021, 12:24:52 PM »
A friend who's a KU grad living in Boulder put it this way: "Boulder is the real-life version of what people from Kansas think Lawrence is."

Can't disagree...