Author Topic: KU football is NOT going through a rough patch. Cheer on our hawk brothers here!  (Read 3216247 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: KU football is going through a rough patch
« Reply #22925 on: August 25, 2021, 03:36:55 PM »
Well, KU is hovering right where they've been for years, at the bottom.  Not sure why they are confident that they're the pick of the litter of the 8 remaining schools in the Big 12 - are other conference itching to add the worst football program in P5, or the worst stadium in the P5.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/power-five-college-football-michigan-state-kansas-arizona-among-10-worst-teams/ar-AANJWIz?ocid=msedgntp

I don't think 100-year decisions are made in this kind of way, but I could be wrong (I'm not).

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22926 on: August 25, 2021, 03:43:26 PM »
Well, KU is hovering right where they've been for years, at the bottom.  Not sure why they are confident that they're the pick of the litter of the 8 remaining schools in the Big 12 - are other conference itching to add the worst football program in P5, or the worst stadium in the P5.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/power-five-college-football-michigan-state-kansas-arizona-among-10-worst-teams/ar-AANJWIz?ocid=msedgntp

I don't think 100-year decisions are made in this kind of way, but I could be wrong (I'm not).

Hmmm....wasn't KU at or near the bottom of P5 programs during the last round of realignment 10 years ago? Don't think we're talking about 1921.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22927 on: August 25, 2021, 03:51:32 PM »

Hmmm....wasn't KU at or near the bottom of P5 programs during the last round of realignment 10 years ago? Don't think we're talking about 1921.

I'm talking about your supposition that recent wins and losses is somehow the touchstone in these decisions. That's not the case. Also, we won an Orange Bowl 13 years ago!

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22928 on: August 25, 2021, 05:47:03 PM »
Thanks for bringing up the Orange Bowl from when I was younger, I bet my buddy a beer that a KU poster would bring that up as one of KU's qualifications for an invite to a P5 conference.  He's a KU fan, and thought it wouldn't be necessary to mention that, and it may not be relevant.  But, again, thanks for mentioning that, it earned me a free beer.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22929 on: August 25, 2021, 07:04:28 PM »
Thanks for bringing up the Orange Bowl from when I was younger, I bet my buddy a beer that a KU poster would bring that up as one of KU's qualifications for an invite to a P5 conference.  He's a KU fan, and thought it wouldn't be necessary to mention that, and it may not be relevant.  But, again, thanks for mentioning that, it earned me a free beer.

Well, this isn't even fun anymore...

Let me try again. I find it suspicious that you just happened to go back 10 years. Why arbitrarily choose 10 years instead of a nice round number like 13, huh?

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22930 on: August 25, 2021, 07:38:05 PM »

Let me try again. I find it suspicious that you just happened to go back 10 years. Why arbitrarily choose 10 years instead of a nice round number like 13, huh?

Everyone outside of KU calls it the "Perfect Storm" season.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22931 on: August 25, 2021, 07:51:06 PM »

Everyone outside of KU calls it the "Perfect Storm" season.

Uh, no they don't. No one even knows who won the 2008 Orange Bowl, except for KU fans, MU fans, and KSU fans.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22932 on: August 25, 2021, 08:28:45 PM »
The orange bowl 2008 season fascinates me.  Really good KU football team, triggers many KSU fans to this day. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22933 on: August 26, 2021, 12:02:43 AM »
The orange bowl 2008 season fascinates me.  Really good KU football team, triggers many KSU fans to this day.

There's nothing wrong with observing that team was overrated and incredibly lucky. I don't even know how you can look at the years around that year and come to any other conclusion. They lost 11 games the two years before and 12 the two years after. That 2007 Kansas Football team has to be one of the biggest outliers in the history of the sport.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22934 on: August 26, 2021, 12:31:05 AM »
Solid QB play can make a pretty major difference on any team, and obviously when you’re doing divisions and avoid the best teams in the conference that’s going to help a ton with your overall record.

Having a great year in the midst of a bunch of bad years is really not surprising. Being as bad as KU has been for as long as they have is the real outlier.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22935 on: August 26, 2021, 07:04:36 AM »
10 year time frame wasn't arbitrary, it was the period of the last realignment.  I'm not sure many KU fans understand their university's role in dissolution of the conference - the lack of investment in football and facilities dragged down the image of the entire conference.  Kind of like K-State did back in the 80's, but with more serious consequences to fellow conference members.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22936 on: August 26, 2021, 07:20:36 AM »
10 year time frame wasn't arbitrary, it was the period of the last realignment.  I'm not sure many KU fans understand their university's role in dissolution of the conference - the lack of investment in football and facilities dragged down the image of the entire conference.  Kind of like K-State did back in the 80's, but with more serious consequences to fellow conference members.
The financial paradigm of major college athletics is unrecognizable relative to the Toilet Bowl era (the Toilet Bowl itself required two teams, one of which was KU).   

For a full decade, KU provided a football team that if you lost to them, as a coach, your job was immediately on the line.   

Nobody wants that lingering in their conference for a full decade.  Year after year the angst of knowing if your guys crap the bed that you might lose to a team that the next week would go out and lose by 5 TD’s (again). 

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22937 on: August 31, 2021, 10:19:51 AM »
Wow... just going to leave this here

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #22938 on: August 31, 2021, 10:26:48 AM »
Wow... just going to leave this here

I like them  :dunno:

Offline KanSt43

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22939 on: August 31, 2021, 10:37:05 AM »
I don't hate them....

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22940 on: August 31, 2021, 10:49:13 AM »
Helmet is very tribal looking.  I don't understand.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22941 on: August 31, 2021, 10:55:52 AM »
Helmet is very tribal looking.  I don't understand.

Apparently it is an old timey logo they used from like 100 years ago or something.  If so then I don't understand why they'd want to mix that logo with the angry Jayhawk on the sleeve.  Kind of a cool concept just not sure about the colors, just my IMO.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #22942 on: August 31, 2021, 10:57:42 AM »
I thought maybe they were doing a chop wood thing instead of a pound stone thing and the K design was an axe blade.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22943 on: August 31, 2021, 10:57:54 AM »
i like them.  interesting they would choose now to use the logo that looks like the big 12 logo when they are big 10 bound  :dunno:

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22944 on: August 31, 2021, 10:59:04 AM »
they are trying to be the royals to lure in more kc based t-shirt fans? 

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #22945 on: August 31, 2021, 10:59:49 AM »
Copying our basketball 2 tones!
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #22946 on: August 31, 2021, 11:01:03 AM »
Jealous they are trying out new unis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22947 on: August 31, 2021, 11:28:30 AM »
Honestly not sure what it is about it, but those look like KU is auditioning for the MAC.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22948 on: August 31, 2021, 11:40:32 AM »
If you put different sleeves on the jersey they're really damn good... but with those sleeve logos, they're pretty damn bad

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #22949 on: August 31, 2021, 11:45:03 AM »
The bow tie logo is not to my taste but the rest looks "clean" as the youngsters say. Way better than anything else they had recently.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite