Author Topic: KU football is NOT going through a rough patch. Cheer on our hawk brothers here!  (Read 3220768 times)

Offline sekpoke

• Cow Poke'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
Re: KU football is hurting
« Reply #13975 on: October 05, 2015, 03:47:10 PM »
heaven is a nice drive on a cool fall morning with bob davis :love:

Even more enjoyable during a basketball game.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13976 on: October 05, 2015, 09:00:47 PM »

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MIZMAW

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13978 on: October 05, 2015, 09:14:30 PM »
I'm all over the money line.  We had TCU all but dead and buried last year and same with Baylor the year before.  We pretty much beat one great team a year.  I tossed five grand on them at +35,000.  When we win, the new Memorial Stadium is on me.  /flips coin up in the air with my thumb while smiling knowingly

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13979 on: October 05, 2015, 11:05:44 PM »
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13980 on: October 05, 2015, 11:06:21 PM »
I think Beatty is ALL IN on this one.

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13981 on: October 05, 2015, 11:07:35 PM »
have a wedding on sat in Lawrence, considering stopping by for a few to cheer on our bros

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #13982 on: October 06, 2015, 07:55:57 AM »
Chingon, thoughts on this one?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13983 on: October 06, 2015, 09:27:18 AM »
heaven is a nice drive on a cool fall morning with bob davis :love:

Even more enjoyable during a basketball game.

The common denominator is getting to listen to Bob Davis spend more time questioning the officiating than calling the game. 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13984 on: October 06, 2015, 09:29:52 AM »
KU and Lawrence are special, and some coaches pick up on it. Many view it as a stepping stone, yes, but some people see it for what it is- a special place that could be great with the right people leading the way.

Fans of every college in the entire nation say this exact same thing about their loser school. 

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13986 on: October 06, 2015, 12:54:31 PM »
Only down to 4th string. Would take.

Offline POWL

• Combo-Fan
  • just sayin....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13987 on: October 06, 2015, 02:06:02 PM »
Only down to 4th string. Would take.
The Kansas quarterback instability started in the spring when Michael Cummings was taken out at the knee by one of his teammates in the spring game.

at least we aren't this fricking stupid........
Beems 2015 - "Honestly, I'd be surprised if this message board survived another five years."

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #13988 on: October 06, 2015, 08:44:26 PM »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #13989 on: October 07, 2015, 12:32:57 PM »

Power 5 in name only
 :frown:
Agree it was disappointing to see schools like SMU and Houston nab better coaching candidates, but I think even if we offered the same money they would not have come. Win 10 games within a few years (in weak conferences) and it's a stepping stone to a stable Power-5 school. We're a Power-5 school only in name and it's a potential career death sentence.

IF NICK SABAN COMES TO KU TO COACH IN OUR BRAND NEW STATE OF THE ART STADIUM IN 5 YEARS I LIKE THE DIRECTION WE ARE HEADED

If there ends up being a 'next guy' in 4-5 years, hopefully he has a full roster with D1 talent, a solid walk-on program, great facilities, and a renovated stadium to work with.  Maybe even a competent AD to boot (not to mention the potential of a Chancellor that cares about football).  You add that Snyder will likely be retired in 4-5 years; and potential to win and recruit better in Kansas just adds to the attractiveness of the job.  You have to like the direction we are headed in....   

He is essentially taking over a team thats a couple years removed from the death penalty.

It's hard to change bad habits. It takes more than one season to make dumb players play smart. He's essentially coaching a team that's a couple years removed from a death penalty sanction because of what's left in the dream team class. Nearly all of the good players on an awful team are gone.

I said before the year a realistic progress is 0-1 wins year one, 2-3 wins year two, 4-5 wins year three, and hopefully 6 wins and a bowl by year four. I just don't think most fans realize how bad this was. I think Beaty is a future stud as a coach, but he's going to make mistakes and he's got one of the deepest holes in our programs history to dig out of.

This guy gets it

This. Everything else is nice. But at the end of the day, it comes down to KU's financial ability to pay a head coach. We are still shelling out cash to both Gill and Weis, but it is in the millions-of-dollars range. There simply is nothing left in the cupboard - economically - to bring in a big name. And most of the big donors - the Booth and Anderson types - well, they didn't make their money by investing into quixotic schemes. The money is not coming back until a ROI can be seen for what is already in the annual line item for those guys. If we were not paying all of that money, it could go into looking for a coach that has some great high-up credentials. But as it is, Beaty was the best that we could afford. We may be in a situation right now, from a financial standpoint, where the best we could afford in quality was somebody to keep the program active - not even afloat, and certainly not competitive. But without any head coach, the football program would fold. It's quite possible that Beaty was hired as a caretaker and nothing more.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13990 on: October 07, 2015, 12:37:55 PM »
That's so sad  :frown:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13991 on: October 07, 2015, 12:40:14 PM »
Roy Williams is the worst thing that every happened to that school in the modern football era.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13992 on: October 07, 2015, 12:41:59 PM »
those damn quixotic schemes are keepin' ku down

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13993 on: October 07, 2015, 12:50:24 PM »
Somehow this is all Brownback's fault.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13994 on: October 07, 2015, 01:19:05 PM »
Everything will be better for them in 4-5 years when Snyder retires. Then they will finally start getting those 5 heart recruits that we fill our team with that they don't even pursue right now.

Offline MIZMAW

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13995 on: October 07, 2015, 01:54:58 PM »

IF NICK SABAN COMES TO KU TO COACH IN OUR BRAND NEW STATE OF THE ART STADIUM IN 5 YEARS I LIKE THE DIRECTION WE ARE HEADED

If there ends up being a 'next guy' in 4-5 years, hopefully he has a full roster with D1 talent, a solid walk-on program, great facilities, and a renovated stadium to work with.  Maybe even a competent AD to boot (not to mention the potential of a Chancellor that cares about football).  You add that Snyder will likely be retired in 4-5 years; and potential to win and recruit better in Kansas just adds to the attractiveness of the job.  You have to like the direction we are headed in....   

He's got a point.  I mean, if they can just get a new coach, a talented roster, a strong walk on program, great facilities, a new stadium, a new AD, a new Chancellor, and weakened rivals, they'll be headed in the right direction.   :ohno:

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13996 on: October 07, 2015, 01:57:42 PM »

He's got a point.  I mean, if they can just get a new coach, a talented roster, a strong walk on program, great facilities, a new stadium, a new AD, a new Chancellor, and weakened rivals, they'll be headed in the right direction.   :ohno:
Would be easier to build a time machine out of Rusty's old neighbor's Delorean.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13997 on: October 07, 2015, 02:30:32 PM »

This. Everything else is nice. But at the end of the day, it comes down to KU's financial ability to pay a head coach. We are still shelling out cash to both Gill and Weis, but it is in the millions-of-dollars range. There simply is nothing left in the cupboard - economically - to bring in a big name. And most of the big donors - the Booth and Anderson types - well, they didn't make their money by investing into quixotic schemes. The money is not coming back until a ROI can be seen for what is already in the annual line item for those guys. If we were not paying all of that money, it could go into looking for a coach that has some great high-up credentials. But as it is, Beaty was the best that we could afford. We may be in a situation right now, from a financial standpoint, where the best we could afford in quality was somebody to keep the program active - not even afloat, and certainly not competitive. But without any head coach, the football program would fold. It's quite possible that Beaty was hired as a caretaker and nothing more.

Would the results be significantly worse if they went 3 or 4 years without a head coach?  You can't get any worse than 0-12 and it could really save them some money.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13998 on: October 07, 2015, 02:42:53 PM »

Would the results be significantly worse if they went 3 or 4 years without a head coach?  You can't get any worse than 0-12 and it could really save them some money.
Would probably generate some publicity as well.  I think a return of the Gridiron would be inevitable if this were to happen.  Are the members of the football team allowed to recruit?

Offline MIZMAW

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13999 on: October 07, 2015, 02:47:47 PM »

Would be easier to build a time machine out of Rusty's old neighbor's Delorean.
Maybe it's just my inherent laziness talking, but if I were in charge of the world, I would shut down the University for a while and then have a grand re-opening with a new name and a new location (ideally somewhere in Texas). 

That would be much simpler than trying to rebuild the superfund site that they created by firing Charlie.