Author Topic: KU football is NOT going through a rough patch. Cheer on our hawk brothers here!  (Read 3222807 times)

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: KU football is hurting
« Reply #17875 on: September 13, 2017, 12:24:06 AM »
With 620 all time losses, they're a couple of bad years away from tying KSU in the loss column.

This could potentially happen at the end of next year if the cats have another good year!  I'm assuming 10-2 this year. 

What's their road losing streak at?  That's a fun one to watch.  What's the all time road losing streak?  They must be close.

One thing's for sure, all eyes will be on their away trip to Ohio.

Found it.  Currently lost 41 straight road games. 

And the all time streak for all divisions is Western State in Gunnison, Colo., which now plays out of the Div. II Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference, lost 44 road contests in a row from Oct. 2, 1926 through Nov. 7, 1936.

:sdeek:  They are dangerously close!!!

after ohio it's @ Iowa State, then @TCU, and the record breaker would be @ Texas.     Not a bad schedule to try and break the streak against.  They needed Baylor to be away this year. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 12:29:33 AM by fun muffin »

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17876 on: September 13, 2017, 01:15:47 AM »
With 620 all time losses, they're a couple of bad years away from tying KSU in the loss column.

This could potentially happen at the end of next year if the cats have another good year!  I'm assuming 10-2 this year. 

What's their road losing streak at?  That's a fun one to watch.  What's the all time road losing streak?  They must be close.

And the all time streak for all divisions is Western State in Gunnison, Colo., which now plays out of the Div. II Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference, lost 44 road contests in a row from Oct. 2, 1926 through Nov. 7, 1936.

after ohio it's @ Iowa State, then @TCU, and the record breaker would be @ Texas.     Not a bad schedule to try and break the streak against.  They needed Baylor to be away this year.

So the record is 44? Definitely something worthy of pursuit. Gives the Hawks something to aspire to.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #17877 on: September 13, 2017, 05:01:48 AM »

So the record is 44? Definitely something worthy of pursuit. Gives the Hawks something to aspire to.
I'll feel really stupid for making fun of "history awaits" if this is what they meant. Jokes on me I guess
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17878 on: September 13, 2017, 07:37:19 AM »

Wow...  :eek: What's going to happen to the few fans they have left once they break that record?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17879 on: September 13, 2017, 07:38:24 AM »
OK, just so we're clear we're not basing this "moving in the right direction" stuff on any on-the-field, tangible results.

So even ignoring that, Beaty doesn't have the experience that Mangino had.  Mangino knew what he was doing because Mangino had legitimate, high level experience under some of the best coaches ever.

Mangino had an actual pedigree, as a position coach under LHOFHCBS for 8 years, as a coordinator under Bob Stoops for their national title team, and was given the Broyles award.  Not to mention, he spent some time coaching under Tressel at Youngstown.

Meanwhile Beaty was a position coach under Kevin Sumlin who is going to get fired here in about 3 months.  That's it.  This could be a hot take, but without Johnny Manziel, Sumlin wouldn't be A&M's coach anymore, and Beaty wouldn't be KU's coach.  Beaty is a glorified high school coach who has no business being the head guy for a P5 team.  He's in WAY over his head and hasn't ever been able to do something as simple as decide on a quarterback.  The only notable thing he's done is hire Meacham - who was about to be fired from TCU.  Meanwhile, he's still leading KU to double digit loss seasons, same as it ever was.

They're not any closer to even being a run-of-the-mill bad team/program (e.g. Iowa State) than they were under Gill or Weis.  It's a cruel Catch-22: at this point the coaches who could turn around that program would never stoop so low as to take that career killing job, unless they get someone capable but disgraced (like Pelini) or some weirdo-masochist-savant like Snyder who inexplicably decides he wants to spend the next 5 years of his life trying to turn the worst program in the P5 around.  Beaty is neither.

When KU achieves something as pedestrian as losing fewer than 10 games, I'll concede that they're starting to make progress.  Until then, any perceived progress is a function of how competent their FCS or bottom-feeder OOC opponents happen to be in a given season.

When you lay it all out there like that......woof
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 09:35:00 AM by mocat »

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17880 on: September 13, 2017, 07:39:19 AM »
The obvious answer has been staring at them in their face for decades, but one they can't conceive. KU football, KU as a university, and LFK are all considerably shittier than any of their fans believe.

This needs to be repeated. Their enrollment continues to drop, their campus/buildings need to be renovated, and the whole culture at that school needs a serious overhaul. But they'll still talk about how great things were back in a time before even the oldest graduate students at either school were alive.

The real problem is their basketball team is always good, and that is the only thing people care about.  One of these years they are going to suck, and then people will look up and wonder how everything else around them is a complete crap pile.  Being good at basketball will be their downfall.

I agree completely. They are currently in a historic run of dominance, even by KU standards. Eventually that will end and when that happens, their whole world is going to fall apart.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17881 on: September 13, 2017, 08:38:30 AM »
Would Hugh Freeze take the KU job?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17882 on: September 13, 2017, 09:23:05 AM »
Dlew nailed it.

I thought KU might be going in the right direction going into the year, but that loss to Central Michigan is pretty bad. CMU is picked toward the bottom of the MAC and finished around #100 in the metrics last year (similar to KU) and they went into Lawrence and handled KU with ease.

Ohio (picked to win their MAC division) probably puts up at least 40 against KU this week. KU will be very fortunate to get 2 wins (total) this year.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17883 on: September 13, 2017, 09:30:24 AM »
I really enjoy reading a good dlew football post.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17884 on: September 13, 2017, 09:33:58 AM »

he really is 1 of 2

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17885 on: September 13, 2017, 09:36:04 AM »

he was even able to work in a talking heads reference!  :love:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17886 on: September 13, 2017, 09:48:46 AM »
Final rank the last 10 years.

Year   KU   ISU
2007  7     85
2008  28   106
2009  54   82
2010  115 75
2011  106 63
2012  85   49
2013  101 78
2014  99   92
2015  127 79
2016  108 70

Ouch.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #17887 on: September 13, 2017, 09:53:07 AM »
Final rank the last 10 years.

Year   KU   ISU
2007  7     85
2008  28   106
2009  54   82
2010  115 75
2011  106 63
2012  85   49
2013  101 78
2014  99   92
2015  127 79
2016  108 70

Ouch.

:sdeek:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17888 on: September 13, 2017, 09:56:27 AM »
I think Beaty was always going to need a lot of time due to his lack of experience and the problems the program has.  Their plan was to hire a bargain up and comer before anyone else did so these growing pains are expected.  Unless they have a legitimate coach lined up, they really should just ride Beaty out until the 2019 season.  Fan apathy can't get worse, former coaches will be paid off, and the next coach will see he is getting a legit chance.

Agree with the disgraced coach point.  Les Miles isn't really disgraced but seems desperate and should get a call.  I also think they should try to snag a triple option coach.  Carve out a niche that is tough to prepare for and you can find under-recruited players to fit roles in.  I think that combined with an appropriately crappy schedule could get them to a bowl within 5 years.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17889 on: September 13, 2017, 10:05:26 AM »
Jesus I got completely destroyed by dlew ITT.  Made for some good banter though. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17890 on: September 13, 2017, 10:08:12 AM »
yeah i thought they'd be better this year.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17891 on: September 13, 2017, 10:09:37 AM »
Not ge'ing.

Too much is being put on the CMU game.   The whole season will tell the story. 

But I do agree that dlew's take is very likely going to be shown to be spot on.

To my recollection very few turnaround stories evolve out of an inexperienced position coach and a relatively mediocre staff. 

Trying to think beyond K-State, but it seems like a lot of turnaround stories involve guys who were at least coordinators at big time schools, with salty staffs with strong football minds and not a lot of rah-rah stuff. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17892 on: September 13, 2017, 10:09:51 AM »
KU's final rank compared to other P5 schools the last 7 seasons.

2010 worst
2011 2nd worst
2012 9th worst
2013 3rd worst
2014 3rd worst
2015 worst
2016 3rd worst

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17893 on: September 13, 2017, 10:13:28 AM »
I think you have to look at Les Miles if you're KU.   The only thing is, can you convince Les to let a good OC run the show?   

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #17894 on: September 13, 2017, 10:16:02 AM »
Man, 2012 must have been a pretty wild year for hawkers
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17895 on: September 13, 2017, 10:18:13 AM »
They should do whatever it takes to keep that New Orleans trio in the fold.   
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17896 on: September 13, 2017, 10:19:15 AM »

they were 1-11 that year

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #17897 on: September 13, 2017, 10:20:01 AM »
Wild man
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #17898 on: September 13, 2017, 10:21:56 AM »
How do people not see progress?
meteorcane

meteorcane
(3267)
95 months
Sep 11, 7:01 PM
We did not win a single game only 2 years ago, last year we won 2 including a conference game. This year we will likely win 2-3 games as well, and clearly the talent pool is much higher than past seasons. A rebuild as substantial as the one we are undertaking does not get done overnight, I think most reasonable people said Beaty had 5 seasons to get us bowl-eligible... we are still on track for that at this trajectory.
NEEDS. MORE. TIME!  :tsc:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17899 on: September 13, 2017, 10:23:07 AM »

they were 1-11 that year

Best 1-11 team in the country.

They were at least "competitive" on a regular basis.

1 point loss to Rice
14 point loss to TCU
7 point loss to No Illinois
6 point loss to OSU
4 point loss to Texas
7 point loss to Tech