Author Topic: Dumping Cable, getting an HTPC  (Read 9844 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Dumping Cable, getting an HTPC
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2013, 11:40:56 AM »
I don't get cable because I'm poor. And WatchESPN's quality is better than ESPN FullCourt (at least it was two years ago). But yeah, way worse than cable.
I have found the picture quality on WatchESPN is really good for the games that are on ESPN and ESPN2 when watching on the xbox, i would say 80% as good as the Directv picture.  But the "espn3" style broadcasts are very hit or miss - sometimes you get great picture for a Vandy @ South Carolina on Tuesday night SEC network game and the next week SoCar @ LSU is almost unwatchable  :dunno:

True, but that was true for ESPN full court, as well. It was all SD, and BAD. (Maybe that's changed).

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2013, 01:39:55 PM »
This is kinda what I'm thinking:

Just hide everything else behind the wood paneling.  What about sound though?  One of those (stupid) sound bars?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2013, 02:38:18 PM »
Damnit, this:  http://www.houzz.com/photos/71289/Gentleman-s-Pub-traditional-media-room-portland
looks like they have two speakers in the sloped ceiling.  It this is just your hearth or family room tv setup that will be used primarily for kids/casual viewing just 1 pair of good speakers may be the way to go.  There are so many different listening positions in hearth/living room that a 5.1 can actually make it harder hear what you want, especially when you start putting speakers in the ceiling.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2013, 03:02:50 PM »
We won't have sloped ceiling like that.  Inspection is tomorrow and can get some better pictures of the actual starting point.  I'd like this to be a legit watch party type setup.