Author Topic: ITT We Laugh At Other Pud Teams' Pud Stadiums/Arenas  (Read 438473 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: ITT We Laugh At Other Pud Teams' Pud Stadiums/Arenas
« Reply #1875 on: January 08, 2019, 12:03:14 AM »
How frustrating is Levi Stadium.

If KSU had more seating in the endzones with a full connection to the east side, it would be rather Levi's Stadium-ish.
Yeah Levi's definitely looks cobbled together over time. Fun fact, they have sunscreen dispensers on the concourse there!

BSFS is a good college football stadium Levi's Stadium is completely unacceptable for a new NFL and national event facility.

The sunscreen is cool, Children's Mercy Park has them as well. I'd prefer cocoa butter dispensers but oh well, maybe they have those at Mercedes-Benz Arena :dunno:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: January 08, 2019, 12:06:50 AM »

How frustrating is Levi Stadium.

If KSU had more seating in the endzones with a full connection to the east side, it would be rather Levi's Stadium-ish.
Yeah Levi's definitely looks cobbled together over time. Fun fact, they have sunscreen dispensers on the concourse there!

BSFS is a good college football stadium Levi's Stadium is completely unacceptable for a new NFL and national event facility.

I agree 100%

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: January 08, 2019, 10:05:31 AM »
Levi's was specifically designed to have as many high dollar seats in the lower seating bowl and suites and clubs in near proximity as possible.

It's not the design, it's the fact that it's in a shitty location and in a region that gives no real Eff's about college sports.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: January 08, 2019, 10:15:57 AM »
Well that, and it is also very much the design
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: January 08, 2019, 10:36:40 AM »
Well that, and it is also very much the design

Anything coming from you about stadiums starts and ends with unpainted walls still under construction.    Sorry (not really) for the tough love.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: January 08, 2019, 11:53:43 AM »
yes, k-state has no history whatsoever of getting 85% of the way through a facilities project and then doing a trash-ass job of finishing it. But keep going on about how great the design is of the stadium that everyone agrees has a garbage design!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 11:58:11 AM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: January 08, 2019, 12:00:55 PM »
it's like the people building levi stadium thought "hmm, what other stadium should we look at for inspiration??" and one guy was like "how about Brown Stadium!?" and someone else said "No! what about Cornell's Schoellkopf Field?!" and then Mr. Levi said "guys, guys, you're both right!" and then they took that idea and pumped it full of money.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: January 08, 2019, 12:49:50 PM »
Never been, but I've heard that the parking/logistics of getting in and out are completely awful.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: January 08, 2019, 01:28:27 PM »
yes, k-state has no history whatsoever of getting 85% of the way through a facilities project and then doing a trash-ass job of finishing it. But keep going on about how great the design is of the stadium that everyone agrees has a garbage design!

Please point to me a specific instance under FKSUADJC that a "half ass" job was done on a facilities project? 

I never said it was a "great" design.   

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: January 08, 2019, 02:13:11 PM »

Please point to me a specific instance under FKSUADJC that a "half ass" job was done on a facilities project? 

I never said it was a "great" design.   

I didn't say half-assed. Said 85%.

1:16

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: January 08, 2019, 02:51:39 PM »
sb- stop arguing with dax and acknowledge my elite ivy league stadium reffys

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: January 08, 2019, 03:58:00 PM »
what makes levi’s stadium completely unacceptable as a new nfl stadium?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: January 08, 2019, 04:15:22 PM »
Being in the middle of nowhere is kinda lol
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: January 08, 2019, 04:30:40 PM »
The outside is wonky, and being what?  2 counties away is silly.   But I don't see anything wrong with the seating layout.   If you need mega high end customers to pay the bills in an outdoor stadium, they'll probably be more designs like Levi's Stadium. 

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: January 08, 2019, 04:35:55 PM »

Indeed. What a garbo location. 53 minutes w/o traffic from downtown SF. Do BART trains even travel that far south?

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: January 08, 2019, 04:37:41 PM »
They should have built it on treasure island
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: January 08, 2019, 05:58:23 PM »

Indeed. What a garbo location. 53 minutes w/o traffic from downtown SF. Do BART trains even travel that far south?

no

I went to a soccer game once and took Bart to the last stop in the East Bay and then a shitty shuttle bus the rest of the way going there and Amtrak coming back. Amtrak is actually pretty nice and there is a stop right at the stadium but it takes you to Oakland, not SF.

Not sure how close Caltrain gets but I'm pretty sure you need to transfer to another train or bus. Haven't parked but I think it's usually like $80

they also put the luxury boxes on the west side and the east side has most of the sun facing seats where it really gets hot.  And there is something weird about the heat in that corner of the Bay, I've been to quite a few unbearable Stanford games where the actual temp is only like 75 degrees. I don't get it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: January 08, 2019, 06:31:02 PM »
I didn't realize they actually designed the stadium to be at Candlestick Park (very cool and windy) and when they moved to Santa Clara they just plopped the exact same design in a much warmer spot

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2017/09/11/report-49ers-considering-ways-to-add-shade-for-fans-at-levis-stadium/

https://www.sfchronicle.com/49ers/article/49ers-have-temperature-issues-is-a-fix-in-store-12189598.php?cmpid=twitter-premium

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: January 08, 2019, 08:18:27 PM »
i wonder if part of the reason why the put it where they did has to do with the enormous amount of available cheap land in the bay area?

ucla to the rose bowl is about an hour too

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: January 08, 2019, 09:40:20 PM »
I didn't realize they actually designed the stadium to be at Candlestick Park (very cool and windy) and when they moved to Santa Clara they just plopped the exact same design in a much warmer spot

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2017/09/11/report-49ers-considering-ways-to-add-shade-for-fans-at-levis-stadium/

https://www.sfchronicle.com/49ers/article/49ers-have-temperature-issues-is-a-fix-in-store-12189598.php?cmpid=twitter-premium

Oh boy. Thanks for the details. I was hoping you would chime in on this one.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 09:35:30 AM by nicname »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: January 09, 2019, 08:34:38 AM »
The reno of Hard Rock Stadium was centered around covering the upper levels with a roof. 

Offline Church Creeper

• Fan
  • Help me get rid of it by sniffing it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: January 09, 2019, 10:17:18 AM »

no

I went to a soccer game once and took Bart to the last stop in the East Bay and then a shitty shuttle bus the rest of the way going there and Amtrak coming back. Amtrak is actually pretty nice and there is a stop right at the stadium but it takes you to Oakland, not SF.

Not sure how close Caltrain gets but I'm pretty sure you need to transfer to another train or bus. Haven't parked but I think it's usually like $80

they also put the luxury boxes on the west side and the east side has most of the sun facing seats where it really gets hot.  And there is something weird about the heat in that corner of the Bay, I've been to quite a few unbearable Stanford games where the actual temp is only like 75 degrees. I don't get it.

I agree. I've even been to a few SF Giants games actually in downtown when it was in the 70's and totally roasted.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: January 13, 2019, 11:10:56 PM »
What do you guys think of Northwestern's basketball reno? They gutted their old arena completely, apparently, and rebuilt the inside to be pretty different. Clearly much updated which looks p. sexy. Also they kept their old perpendicular alignment of the court to the beams, so this is still very much another arena like Hinkle Fieldhouse/Alabama's Arena/Tulsa's Arena that runs perpendicular to the direction its roof shape would imply.

For reference, here's what it looked like until a few years ago:

Here's what it looks like now.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9UXNxQCb6k[/youtube]

Offline Oyster_Trousers

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: January 14, 2019, 02:26:05 AM »
Very similar to Minnesota’s Williams Arena, but on a smaller scale.  Very nice.  Not a big fan of the sight-obstructing beems though.
KU made the better hire....Miles is a sure fire grantee

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: January 14, 2019, 08:04:21 AM »
What do you guys think of Northwestern's basketball reno? They gutted their old arena completely, apparently, and rebuilt the inside to be pretty different. Clearly much updated which looks p. sexy. Also they kept their old perpendicular alignment of the court to the beams, so this is still very much another arena like Hinkle Fieldhouse/Alabama's Arena/Tulsa's Arena that runs perpendicular to the direction its roof shape would imply.

For reference, here's what it looked like until a few years ago:

Here's what it looks like now.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9UXNxQCb6k[/youtube]

The seating upgrade is what we need for our FB stadium. It would take care of the seating problem with the new south end zone expansion.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.