Author Topic: ITT We Laugh At Other Pud Teams' Pud Stadiums/Arenas  (Read 438686 times)

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: ITT We Laugh At Other Pud Teams' Pud Stadiums/Arenas
« Reply #1150 on: January 02, 2016, 11:15:56 AM »
SB you are a treasure and thank you for all that you do. Go cats 

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: January 02, 2016, 11:34:13 AM »
Futurama IS funny, you're the one pretending it's not :don'tcare:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: January 02, 2016, 11:43:06 AM »
wouldn't know, never seen it
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: January 02, 2016, 01:31:45 PM »
Over christmas, my uncle who was a running back at Wichita State in the 70s, told me that the tigercats used to put an actual tiger at the end of the ramp to the visitor's locker room, so you had to run by a large cat at the start of the game, half.   They really knew how to PI back in the day.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: January 02, 2016, 01:56:09 PM »
amazing that your uncle survived the crash :eek:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: January 03, 2016, 01:14:00 AM »
i lol'd no fewer than 4 times reading that post.  i think Curve City is actually a neat stadium, but that view obstructing press box is really bad. would have been interested to see the concourse too -- i imagine that's very dated as well.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: January 03, 2016, 01:38:22 AM »
amazing that your uncle survived the crash :eek:
if my math is right, he would have joined the team 5 years after the crash (75-78) so he thankfully wouldn't have perished in any horrible plane crash, precluding him from telling me a story this past holiday about the memphiscats cat.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: January 03, 2016, 10:57:13 AM »
So people who were at the game yesterday. Give me your thoughts on Curve City, USA cuz I've never seen a game there and am curious. Just how obstructed were your seats?? Was it like at Mebraska where a bunch of the nearest end zone is obstructed?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 07:30:11 PM by SkinnyBenny »

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: March 26, 2016, 08:11:03 PM »
I think we may have talked about this before, but good Lord, Villanova. You have the weirdest arena in sports.

I am not kidding. It is so insanely odd. LOOK AT THIS PHOTO I FOUND OF IT FROM THE AIR! (Also, your football stadium, woof.)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: March 26, 2016, 08:11:49 PM »
look how pointy it is. wtf.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: March 26, 2016, 08:12:31 PM »
it might even be weirder than barnhill arena. i think it is.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: March 26, 2016, 08:13:16 PM »
looks like a weird church in some far off land. dunno wtf they were thinking.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: March 26, 2016, 08:14:21 PM »
looks like some kinda deep sea creature that doesn't have a brain but is still somehow considered alive. very strange to play basketball on the ocean floor.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: March 26, 2016, 08:14:39 PM »
i want to see a game there pretty bad

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #1164 on: March 27, 2016, 12:04:03 AM »
Looks cool as eff
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: March 27, 2016, 12:11:45 AM »

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: March 27, 2016, 01:51:47 PM »

Holy crap madcat you are absofruitly right. Amazing.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: March 27, 2016, 07:04:57 PM »
Look at it from this angle.  :horrorsurprise:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: March 27, 2016, 10:46:39 PM »
Do NOT be fooled by this article from 2012. The Kibbie Dome sucks a majorly huge one.
http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/fandom/post/_/id/12743/idahos-kibbie-dome-ncaas-most-unique-stadium

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1169 on: March 31, 2016, 09:41:48 AM »
Paul Rhoads was so proud to be Liberty Bowl Runner-Up in that stadium in 2012.

Snuck into the Liberty Bowl. Any other goEMAW'rs in here right now? If so, 'pak?

Welp it's been over a year and many of you will be reading this post on the world famous Tapatalk app on your phones in the parking lot of this very stadium, so I guess there's no better time than the present to dissect the world famous footballin' home of the footballin'

University of Memphis Tigercats

If you're at today's game you'll likely notice that this stadium has been renown through the years for many things, but most notable of all is that it has always maintained a 7:2 ratio of parking lot cones to press boxes.

When you bought your ticket for the Liberty Bowl did you have any idea that you were stepping into Curve City, USA? It's so weird. It's like some kind of fun house or something. The only other stadium I can think of that compares in wibbly-wobbly, woogily-googily curviness is the old Tampa Bay Bucccanneeers' stadium where Whitney Houston did the national anthem for the Super Bowl. (A performance which would later win a Nickelodeon Kids' Choice award, if I'm not mistaken.)

Look at this photo! Look at it! You can't find a straight line anywere. Except on the press box elevator shaft, which rises in stately, straight fashion against a background of trippy-ass curves. Oh, and look at that adorbs light post they put on top of it. :D It reminds me of Quail Man's headpiece. :D :D

oh man, try to find the wee little baby scoreboard. omg, it's like a Mountaineer Field tunnel over here. :ump:

P.S. They really configured those lights like a buncha bozos.

This next photo here is a stadium reviewer's dream and nightmare. So much to talk about, where do I even start? Well I guess I'll just jump right in with those weird-ass end zones. Hopefully for the game today they've replaced the tiger stripes in the K-State end zone with the elegant stripes of our official bobcat mascot Touchdown IX. Hogs don't have stripes, but I can only assume they decorated the Arky end zone with green stink lines or something.

The press box on this side is weird. It doesn't match the other press box, so I'm assuming the one in this photo is actually mostly suites for Mario Chalmers' reading tutors or something. It reminds me of...I don't quite know what. Like some sci-fi character or cartoon character or something. Maybe Ickis from AAH! Real Monsters? Maybe Bender from that annoying Futurama show that everyone pretends is funny? Dunno. Either way, I like how they just decided to build it INSIDE OF THE STADIUM instead of over the top of it. Very pud. Many obstructed view seats up there in row 100 (and all over, for that matter). Oh and a warning to any qat fans sitting on the 50 yard-line in the top row: when Bazooka Joe does his thing today and slings it all over the field for 450 passing yards and 8 TDs, be careful of jumping up in celebration because you will straight bonk your head on the underside of that press box.

Also I like how they just sorta randomly threw in 3 or 4 rows of seatbacks. Weird placement, weird decision. Weird design. Doesn't even spell MEMPHIS across 7 sections or anything.

OMG look at the little portal entrance thingies that take you from the concourse into the stadium. The higher row is super duper crooked, like how a 7 year-old would freehand draw it. That's just the price of admission here in Curve City, USA.

If you are unlucky enough to have one of the literally tens of thousands of seats in this stadium with at least a slightly obstructed view, fear not: they have this huge jumbotron for replays.

omglolfartjk they have a real jumbotron. And you don't have to worry about it tumbling down during the game because it is very well-supported. I'm no structural engineering major or Inspector 34 from Pete and Pete, but that thing looks pretty solid to me. Lots of beams and cross-beams and I-beams and stuff. It ain't goin' anywhere. You can just tell they got dat FedEx money.

Oh man, check out those tarps. Combine them with the small ESPN banner below and the rainy day I took these photos and I just get really sad. :frown:

True confession: I know that Inspector 34 actually only inspected underwear, not stadium jumbotrons. I'm just in it for the Nickolodeon references today.

Will you reach the century mark at the 2016 Liberty Bowl? When I climbed this mountain my quads hurt worse than my pride did when I got slimed that one time on "You Can't Do That On Television" :eek:

Sure, go ahead and put a press box there, nobody's tryin to watch a game or anything. If I were sitting in row 100 and I had a word with the stadium architects I would tell them to MOVE THAT GIGANTIC COTTON CANDY. (My refs are all over the place today.)

Look at this old timey bench at the top row! It's so cute. It reminds me of like what the stadiums probably looked like in 1890 when K-State was playing Ft. Riley High School at the Bluemont Fairgrounds or w/e

So precious few Tigercats have paid for chairback seating :frown:

So there you go Cat fans, enjoy your experience today. In regards to playing in the Liberty Bowl, it's our first year ever so expect to walk in and hear the Marchin' Hogs Pep Band playing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH50ZF9QPmQ

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: April 01, 2016, 10:22:39 AM »
Had a dream last night that present-day SB lost on Guts to a 6th grade girl. Can only assume Nickolodeon was in my subconscious because Havs bumped my Liberty Bowl review.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Big Sam

• King of the Tucks
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: April 18, 2016, 07:24:23 PM »
Looks interesting Dax.  It seemed a bit sterile, to be honest.  However, as I watched the vid, I was a bit worried.  I had to ask myself if ECU were still segregated.  I mean, it is the south, and the crowd appeared to be all white.  :opcat:

Fortunately, after carefully re-watching the video, I did notice that out of the thousands of "fans" pictured, 2 were clearly African American, and 2 more were of indeterminate race.  Glad to see the south being inclusive. Initially it felt like I were viewing a dream game in Lawrentucky.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: April 18, 2016, 07:50:30 PM »
Mmmkay.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: April 18, 2016, 07:53:01 PM »
Looks interesting Dax.  It seemed a bit sterile, to be honest.  However, as I watched the vid, I was a bit worried.  I had to ask myself if ECU were still segregated.  I mean, it is the south, and the crowd appeared to be all white.  :opcat:

Fortunately, after carefully re-watching the video, I did notice that out of the thousands of "fans" pictured, 2 were clearly African American, and 2 more were of indeterminate race.  Glad to see the south being inclusive. Initially it felt like I were viewing a dream game in Lawrentucky.

:flush:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite