Author Topic: Kansas City things  (Read 1007508 times)

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City things
« Reply #13550 on: July 20, 2023, 12:12:13 PM »
Not combining Dallas and Irving is hilarious.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13551 on: July 20, 2023, 12:22:01 PM »
Not combining Dallas and Irving is hilarious.

It feels like a personal affront, especially considering Plano is most likely being included in the Dallas number.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13552 on: July 20, 2023, 12:29:13 PM »
Fort Worth and their singular Fortune 500 company can kick rocks tho
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13553 on: July 20, 2023, 12:34:48 PM »
Dax, were you using the stl metro to get to 8?

that list was supposedly metro but I only found one and pasted it. no idea it's validity. It's overall a dumb measure of a city/metro IMO

Irving is part of the Dallas and/or DFW metro no matter how you slice it

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13554 on: July 21, 2023, 08:58:25 AM »
Dax, were you using the stl metro to get to 8?

Yes,

Metro area, just like with YF and Sprint

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #13555 on: August 28, 2023, 02:04:36 PM »
Went to Lonnie's Reno Club on Saturday night with my whole family.  Can't believe this thing isn't more widely known.

Basically it's a pre fixe dinner with a show in the basement of the Ambassador hotel.  Food is pretty good, but the show is something else.  It's a 4-piece jazz band (with some world-class musicians), fronted by the titular Lonnie McFadden, who sings, dances, and plays trumpet.  Between songs he engages with the audience (the venue seats probably 50 or 60) and talks about the history of KC's jazz scene.  The show and dinner is about 3 hours or so.  It's not a cheap night out, but one of the most fun and unique experiences I've ever had in Kansas City.

If you're looking for an evening out with a date, or something to do with a visiting out-of-towner, this comes highly, highly recommended.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Fldermaus

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13556 on: August 28, 2023, 02:07:50 PM »
Went to Lonnie's Reno Club on Saturday night with my whole family.  Can't believe this thing isn't more widely known.

Basically it's a pre fixe dinner with a show in the basement of the Ambassador hotel.  Food is pretty good, but the show is something else.  It's a 4-piece jazz band (with some world-class musicians), fronted by the titular Lonnie McFadden, who sings, dances, and plays trumpet.  Between songs he engages with the audience (the venue seats probably 50 or 60) and talks about the history of KC's jazz scene.  The show and dinner is about 3 hours or so.  It's not a cheap night out, but one of the most fun and unique experiences I've ever had in Kansas City.

If you're looking for an evening out with a date, or something to do with a visiting out-of-towner, this comes highly, highly recommended.

This looks awesome -- gotta check it out. Thanks for the tip.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13557 on: August 28, 2023, 02:19:07 PM »

This looks awesome -- gotta check it out. Thanks for the tip.

Prix fixe, btw. (Je t'en prie.) That sounds awesome, though. I went to a similar setup in the real Manhattan. Questlove and Common (known uncle killer) randomly stopped in and joined in the jams. It was also in the basement of a hotel!

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13558 on: August 28, 2023, 07:09:24 PM »
RIP Al Latta. Can't imagine Cigar Box survives

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #13559 on: September 28, 2023, 08:15:09 AM »
Not sure if anyone plays "where taken" but basically it shows you a photo and you guess what state....here was today's photo

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13560 on: September 28, 2023, 09:15:05 AM »
add Tay Tay to that everyone will know where that is
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13561 on: October 26, 2023, 10:14:09 AM »
today i learned that KS asseses property taxes when you renew your vehicle, while MO assesses on Jan. 1 of each year, no matter what happens after. so if you move from MO to KS you get to double up on car taxes that year!

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13562 on: October 26, 2023, 10:21:07 AM »
assuming there is a waiver or something if you've already paid in one state

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13563 on: October 26, 2023, 01:15:16 PM »
today i learned that KS asseses property taxes when you renew your vehicle, while MO assesses on Jan. 1 of each year, no matter what happens after. so if you move from MO to KS you get to double up on car taxes that year!

can you get it refunded during tax time?

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13564 on: October 26, 2023, 01:50:10 PM »

If you go KS to MO they have a statement of non-assessment you get showing you didn't owe one year. I'd assume KS has something similar but maybe not?

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13565 on: December 05, 2023, 10:58:52 PM »
Country stampede.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13566 on: December 06, 2023, 11:01:35 AM »
Country stampede.
It was inevitable

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13567 on: January 04, 2024, 07:51:46 PM »
Just happened today at a Walmart in Joco.

Random girl on phone looking confused "excuse me, do you know where the wine is?"

Ben ji "no wine here, you can only buy wine in liquor stores in KS, Walmart just has beer"

Random girl "wait, what state am I in? Sorry I just moved here and could have sworn I bought wine at Walmart the other day"

(Ben ji briefly explains MO vs KS liquor laws)

Random girl to the person she is talking to on the phone "Well apparently I'm in KANSAS and have to go to another place to get wine but I'll see you soon"
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 09:23:11 PM by ben ji »

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #13568 on: January 04, 2024, 08:50:21 PM »
LOL

If you rank the states from most frequently people do not know they are there to least frequently not know they are there, I feel like we come in at the bottom just above Hawaii and Alaska.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #13569 on: January 07, 2024, 11:20:42 AM »
Maybe I’m confused, but I’m guessing if you’re in Hawaii or Alaska, you really know you’re in Hawaii or Alaska.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #13570 on: January 07, 2024, 12:20:24 PM »
Maybe I’m confused, but I’m guessing if you’re in Hawaii or Alaska, you really know you’re in Hawaii or Alaska.
That too. But more precisely, folks don’t just inadvertently wander into those states very frequently.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13571 on: January 07, 2024, 05:57:48 PM »
That too. But more precisely, folks don’t just inadvertently wander into those states very frequently.

Maybe I'm not following you, but I think you're saying, "If you're in Kansas, you definitely know you're in Kansas." But this story is an object lesson in why that's not the case. I would say any large-ish metro areas that span borders is prone to this kind of confusion. I mean shoot, I once found myself in Pittsburgh, PA thinking I was in West Virginia.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #13572 on: January 07, 2024, 06:04:22 PM »

Maybe I'm not following you, but I think you're saying, "If you're in Kansas, you definitely know you're in Kansas." But this story is an object lesson in why that's not the case. I would say any large-ish metro areas that span borders is prone to this kind of confusion. I mean shoot, I once found myself in Pittsburgh, PA thinking I was in West Virginia.
You also think basketball was invented at KU. So, I can see how you'd be confused there as well.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13573 on: January 07, 2024, 06:05:58 PM »

You also think basketball was invented at KU. So, I can see how you'd be confused there as well.

Basketball was for sure invented at KU. No doubt about it.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #13574 on: January 08, 2024, 10:17:23 AM »

I'm with you.  I don't know what Pete is talking about.  WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, PETE