Author Topic: Kansas City things  (Read 1007483 times)

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City things
« Reply #4400 on: March 03, 2016, 12:07:13 PM »
i read this awhile back and thought it was interesting-

KCMO issues downtown parking survey (& why the results likely won't highlight the solution)
Yesterday, the City of Kansas City issued an online survey to get people's opinions on parking downtown.

The questions are typical:

Do you live downtown?

Work downtown?

Is parking hard to find?

Do you have a dedicated parking space?

Do you look for on-street parking or park in a garage?

How far from your destination is too far away to park?

Etc.

No matter how the survey comes back, I can't think of a single way that the city will recognize from the survey what one of the biggest problems with downtown parking is in this city.

First of all, I don't think there is a major problem with parking downtown for 90% of people, uses and destinations -- unless you're used to pulling up to a strip mall and parking right out front of your destination for free. But compared to most cities, Kansas City Parking is cake.  And cheap.

But if there is a problem, the problem isn't lack of parking spaces.

It's lack of access to those spaces.

Because of the city policy for the past 5 decades that has mandated a certain number of parking spots for downtown businesses, far too many parking spots have become single use lots. A business owns and maintains the lot, but those spaces can only be used by those businesses -- even if the business is not open.

Let's take the surface lot at 19th and McGee that encompasses the entire city block for an example. The lot is, I believe, owned by Children's Mercy Hospital.  They then drive shuttle buses from the lot to the hospital and back every day. At night, when the majority of their staff goes home, the entire city block of parking is chained off and not accessible. On a typical First Friday, there is a struggle for people to find parking spaces at the Crossroads -- and yet, this entire block of open parking spaces sits completely empty.

This same scenario plays out with various lots throughout downtown -- where a restaurant that relies almost solely on foot traffic during the day has empty spots, but then has a shortage of parking in the evening when people drive to their location -- and yet, the empty business lots around them are sitting empty. The Star has several lots exactly like this.

In many ways, Kansas City's parking space mandates have CREATED a parking shortage downtown. In other cities, it has become financially viable for a private person to own parking garages that cater to business workers during the day, but are easily accessible for events/restaurants/night life at night. They're mixed use garages.  We have very few of those in Kansas City (there is one on the 1700 block of Main between the old TWA building and the old Retro Inferno building - -so there are some) because of the city's parking laws.

It's my hope that the city actualy takes a deep dive into the city's downtown parking situation -- and doesn't just look at a survey to conclude that "Parking is fine" or "We need more parking".

The answer isn't that cut and dried. We need more mixed use parking spaces -- that have uses both in the day and then different uses in the evening. We don't necessarily need MORE parking -- just more and better access on more occassions.

it's from 2011, not sure if the same rules still apply but i would guess that they do.
http://btoellner.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/07/kcmo-issues-downtown-parking-survey-why-the-results-likely-wont-highlight-the-solution.html

Good read. Parking minimums were eliminated downtown 2 years ago I want to say. Doesn't fix the backlog of problems this created but does help our boy KCFD opening doubleshift.

Also that very lot the blog discusses is now managed by the city at night to share parking... Part of the problem was also businesses didn't want to deal with the liability of sharing their parking... So the city stepped in to help eliminate that concern.

The Big Train

« Reply #4401 on: March 03, 2016, 12:38:33 PM »

A house has to be $250-$350k to be nice?

No, and I didn't say that, either.

But it helps!

I can totally see you saying that as you are out fly fishing with a pak head on your actual face loling

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: March 03, 2016, 12:56:26 PM »
there are a shitload of cool homes between union hill, hyde and gillham park areas and main street, not sure how much they cost though.

my old house in South Hyde Park just sold again for like $113k. It was a sweet house.

:Wha:

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: March 03, 2016, 01:00:23 PM »
i read this awhile back and thought it was interesting-

KCMO issues downtown parking survey (& why the results likely won't highlight the solution)
Yesterday, the City of Kansas City issued an online survey to get people's opinions on parking downtown.

The questions are typical:

Do you live downtown?

Work downtown?

Is parking hard to find?

Do you have a dedicated parking space?

Do you look for on-street parking or park in a garage?

How far from your destination is too far away to park?

Etc.

No matter how the survey comes back, I can't think of a single way that the city will recognize from the survey what one of the biggest problems with downtown parking is in this city.

First of all, I don't think there is a major problem with parking downtown for 90% of people, uses and destinations -- unless you're used to pulling up to a strip mall and parking right out front of your destination for free. But compared to most cities, Kansas City Parking is cake.  And cheap.

But if there is a problem, the problem isn't lack of parking spaces.

It's lack of access to those spaces.

Because of the city policy for the past 5 decades that has mandated a certain number of parking spots for downtown businesses, far too many parking spots have become single use lots. A business owns and maintains the lot, but those spaces can only be used by those businesses -- even if the business is not open.

Let's take the surface lot at 19th and McGee that encompasses the entire city block for an example. The lot is, I believe, owned by Children's Mercy Hospital.  They then drive shuttle buses from the lot to the hospital and back every day. At night, when the majority of their staff goes home, the entire city block of parking is chained off and not accessible. On a typical First Friday, there is a struggle for people to find parking spaces at the Crossroads -- and yet, this entire block of open parking spaces sits completely empty.

This same scenario plays out with various lots throughout downtown -- where a restaurant that relies almost solely on foot traffic during the day has empty spots, but then has a shortage of parking in the evening when people drive to their location -- and yet, the empty business lots around them are sitting empty. The Star has several lots exactly like this.

In many ways, Kansas City's parking space mandates have CREATED a parking shortage downtown. In other cities, it has become financially viable for a private person to own parking garages that cater to business workers during the day, but are easily accessible for events/restaurants/night life at night. They're mixed use garages.  We have very few of those in Kansas City (there is one on the 1700 block of Main between the old TWA building and the old Retro Inferno building - -so there are some) because of the city's parking laws.

It's my hope that the city actualy takes a deep dive into the city's downtown parking situation -- and doesn't just look at a survey to conclude that "Parking is fine" or "We need more parking".

The answer isn't that cut and dried. We need more mixed use parking spaces -- that have uses both in the day and then different uses in the evening. We don't necessarily need MORE parking -- just more and better access on more occassions.

it's from 2011, not sure if the same rules still apply but i would guess that they do.
http://btoellner.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/07/kcmo-issues-downtown-parking-survey-why-the-results-likely-wont-highlight-the-solution.html

Good read. Parking minimums were eliminated downtown 2 years ago I want to say. Doesn't fix the backlog of problems this created but does help our boy KCFD opening doubleshift.

Also that very lot the blog discusses is now managed by the city at night to share parking... Part of the problem was also businesses didn't want to deal with the liability of sharing their parking... So the city stepped in to help eliminate that concern.
Fyi I had a parking minimum I had to meet.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: March 03, 2016, 01:02:27 PM »
Interesting. I may have boundaries of that change wrong.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: March 03, 2016, 01:19:43 PM »
Okay clarification on my prior parking comment...

DC (downtown core) and pedestrian overlay districts don't require minimums for any business under 4k sf.

Also the crossroads restaurant and retail parking minimums have been eliminated by section 80-444 (b)... But in some brilliance that doesn't include taverns which is what I assume doubleshift is considered (no food)  Now if the crossroads would get the pedestrian overlay added it appears it would wipe out all parking minimums...again for businesses under 4000 sf.

Sorry for the misinformation.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: March 03, 2016, 01:51:37 PM »

But it helps!

I can totally see you saying that as you are out fly fishing with a pak head on your actual face loling

I think it was a Yao Ming head.

The Big Train

« Reply #4407 on: March 03, 2016, 01:53:07 PM »

But it helps!

I think it was a Yao Ming head.

Probably, that was the part that was the fuzzyest

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: March 03, 2016, 06:32:04 PM »
Okay clarification on my prior parking comment...

DC (downtown core) and pedestrian overlay districts don't require minimums for any business under 4k sf.

Also the crossroads restaurant and retail parking minimums have been eliminated by section 80-444 (b)... But in some brilliance that doesn't include taverns which is what I assume doubleshift is considered (no food)  Now if the crossroads would get the pedestrian overlay added it appears it would wipe out all parking minimums...again for businesses under 4000 sf.

Sorry for the misinformation.
We also don't meet the 4k sq ft requirement. At least not right now...

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: March 03, 2016, 07:04:36 PM »
Under 4k is the only businesses exempt.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4410 on: March 03, 2016, 08:41:43 PM »
Under 4k is the only businesses exempt.
Duh, I read that backwards.

Still, crossroads doesn't qualify if you're more than three(?)  blocks off the streetcar route. Kinda frustrating bc leasing parking spaces is just a little expensive in my neighborhood. Plus, there is a "public" lot two blocks away. Just don't see why I need to provide these spaces when it's free to park in a huge lot that's a 5 min walk away.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4411 on: March 03, 2016, 08:42:49 PM »
If kcmo got rid of that requirement, I could drop $12,000/yr in parking space lease.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: March 03, 2016, 09:04:59 PM »
If kcmo got rid of that requirement, I could drop $12,000/yr in parking space lease.

Ridiculous to require this....have you talked with Usher at city hall?

How I read the ordinance is west of paseo qualifies for the exemption but only restaurants and retail.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: March 03, 2016, 09:07:19 PM »

Ridiculous to require this....have you talked with Usher at city hall?

How I read the ordinance is west of paseo qualifies for the exemption but only restaurants and retail.
Lots of times. I don't think they actually keep checking we have those spots available, just for the cert of occupancy. So I don't think I'm going to renew the lease

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: March 03, 2016, 09:21:50 PM »
 :gocho:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: March 04, 2016, 12:39:29 PM »
there are a shitload of cool homes between union hill, hyde and gillham park areas and main street, not sure how much they cost though.

my old house in South Hyde Park just sold again for like $113k. It was a sweet house.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4416 on: March 04, 2016, 12:45:11 PM »

does $113k indicate there has been some appreciation in the 7 or 8 years since you owned it?

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: March 04, 2016, 01:06:36 PM »

does $113k indicate there has been some appreciation in the 7 or 8 years since you owned it?

I would certainly hope the home appreciated in value over the past 8 years. 

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: March 04, 2016, 01:20:08 PM »

I would certainly hope the home appreciated in value over the past 8 years. 

It really didn't. I don't remember the exact figure it was sold for last year but it was basically what I sold it for in 2008.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: March 04, 2016, 01:37:25 PM »
kinda depends on when in 2008 you sold it

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: March 04, 2016, 01:45:06 PM »
kinda depends on when in 2008 you sold it

December 2008. It was not a good time to sell! Or perhaps it wasn't THAT bad.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: March 04, 2016, 03:04:33 PM »
Downtown Topeka sucks, I can tell you that rusty

Remember that Italian restaurant that used to be downtown on Kansas Ave?  It was called Grazi's or something like that, it had a nice atmosphere.  I wonder whatever happened to that place.

Grazie's was awesome.   Half price lunch if you were there by 11:30.    It's been a couple of things since, now it is Luis' Place, a popup dinner club run by the guy that ran New City Cafe.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4422 on: March 04, 2016, 04:17:27 PM »

Remember that Italian restaurant that used to be downtown on Kansas Ave?  It was called Grazi's or something like that, it had a nice atmosphere.  I wonder whatever happened to that place.

Grazie's was awesome.   Half price lunch if you were there by 11:30.    It's been a couple of things since, now it is Luis' Place, a popup dinner club run by the guy that ran New City Cafe.
wasn't Grazie's related to Paisano's?

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: March 04, 2016, 04:18:18 PM »

wasn't Grazie's related to Paisano's?

the owner was a former partner of Paisanos.   But the food was better IMHO.   I'm not a Paisanos fan.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: March 07, 2016, 10:42:37 AM »
4 days in KC for the tourney this week.. give me some Kansas City things to do, eat, etc. (I've never lived in the KC area so only know the obvious stuff)