Author Topic: Kansas City things  (Read 1007575 times)

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City things
« Reply #4325 on: March 02, 2016, 10:06:26 AM »
Why drive on Main street when Walnut and Grand are available?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: March 02, 2016, 10:10:29 AM »
I saw it in one earlier.  Still, ppl park over lines/too close to lines all the time.  What then?

the spaces that they have "built" are too narrow.
http://www.kctv5.com/clip/12255484/downtown-parking-problem-could-cost-drivers-more-than-they-think

Spots were shoehorned in some stretches to appease as many parties as possible. Many business owners along main didn't want to lose their street parking so the streetcar operators did all they could to not lose spaces... Just like if your car is too long for a space (Compact only, street spot not long enough for an f250 but long enough for a smart car) not every car will fit in every parking spot. There are more than enough parking spots downtown.

As an aside this parking spot width drama kctv5 is trying to drum up was not a problem in the Mercedes incident yesterday... Just a bad parker.

do you have inside information about the mercedes incident that we don't know?

the guy who may or may have not parked within the lane may share blame here but the streetcar driver certainly needs to be better at his job too. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: March 02, 2016, 10:37:18 AM »
How many parking tickets are issued annually along the streetcar routes?

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: March 02, 2016, 10:42:49 AM »

REVENUE GENERATOR!  :excited:

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4329 on: March 02, 2016, 10:55:09 AM »
I saw it in one earlier.  Still, ppl park over lines/too close to lines all the time.  What then?

the spaces that they have "built" are too narrow.
http://www.kctv5.com/clip/12255484/downtown-parking-problem-could-cost-drivers-more-than-they-think

Spots were shoehorned in some stretches to appease as many parties as possible. Many business owners along main didn't want to lose their street parking so the streetcar operators did all they could to not lose spaces... Just like if your car is too long for a space (Compact only, street spot not long enough for an f250 but long enough for a smart car) not every car will fit in every parking spot. There are more than enough parking spots downtown.

As an aside this parking spot width drama kctv5 is trying to drum up was not a problem in the Mercedes incident yesterday... Just a bad parker.

do you have inside information about the mercedes incident that we don't know?

the guy who may or may have not parked within the lane may share blame here but the streetcar driver certainly needs to be better at his job too.

Just what I've picked up through media and twitter reports. I totally agree streetcar driver should be better and have stopped in this situation versus trying to squeeze by...posted that last night too.

Operator training is the biggest reason the cars are out right now... Guessing maybe Steve the streetcar driver learned a lot yesterday.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4330 on: March 02, 2016, 10:58:18 AM »

Prior to streetcar or now with the white line? According to a star column, 19 tickets were issued in November and December. Ticket cost is 72 bucks.

As I said earlier they are trying to educate drivers now during testing and find them vs. Immediately ticketing and towing... Part of the testing phase as they know drivers have to get used to the streetcar too.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4331 on: March 02, 2016, 11:11:53 AM »
i read that they're trying to be lenient with bad parkers through this introductory stage, which flies in the face of guy mowing down new mercedes suv.   he should be fired.  if there's any question that the streetcar could edge the car, he needs to stop, call for car removal, and wait.  in this case, he didn't even clip the car, he hit the back of it.  inexcusable lack of judgement for someone tasked with driving however many tons of heavy equipment through major traffic fares of our city.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: March 02, 2016, 11:54:28 AM »
i read that they're trying to be lenient with bad parkers through this introductory stage, which flies in the face of guy mowing down new mercedes suv.   he should be fired.  if there's any question that the streetcar could edge the car, he needs to stop, call for car removal, and wait.  in this case, he didn't even clip the car, he hit the back of it.  inexcusable lack of judgement for someone tasked with driving however many tons of heavy equipment through major traffic fares of our city.

Was probably finishing up crushing a Busch Light

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4333 on: March 02, 2016, 12:01:11 PM »

Prior to streetcar or now with the white line? According to a star column, 19 tickets were issued in November and December. Ticket cost is 72 bucks.

As I said earlier they are trying to educate drivers now during testing and find them vs. Immediately ticketing and towing... Part of the testing phase as they know drivers have to get used to the streetcar too.

Prior.  With this information we could see how big this issue potentially is. 

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4334 on: March 02, 2016, 12:09:55 PM »

I don't disagree.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4335 on: March 02, 2016, 12:11:28 PM »

Prior.  With this information we could see how big this issue potentially is.

I doubt s ticket was ever written for being too far away from the curb due to lack of focusing on that as a problem. .... Guessing any parking tickets on main were parking too long.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: March 02, 2016, 12:43:00 PM »
if only there were a form of public transportation that had the freedom to move from lane to lane if there was an obstruction.  oh well.  that's a pipedream.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: March 02, 2016, 01:04:14 PM »
apologies if already posted, but traders on grand is being converted into 203 apartments.  $69mil.  real ugly building in great location. 
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2016/02/26/kc-conversion-block-sunflower-traders-on-grand.html

this development, coupled with 1Light (300 units), 2Light (300 units), and P&L (260 units) - all to be opened within 2-3 years of one another is really pretty impressive. 

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: March 02, 2016, 01:19:07 PM »
apologies if already posted, but traders on grand is being converted into 203 apartments.  $69mil.  real ugly building in great location. 
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2016/02/26/kc-conversion-block-sunflower-traders-on-grand.html

this development, coupled with 1Light (300 units), 2Light (300 units), and P&L (260 units) - all to be opened within 2-3 years of one another is really pretty impressive.

There's another project in the very initial stages that will be similar if not bigger than all those in that area.   :peek:

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4339 on: March 02, 2016, 01:39:29 PM »
if only there were a form of public transportation that had the freedom to move from lane to lane if there was an obstruction.  oh well.  that's a pipedream.

We still have buses. Cars seem like the common problem here... Maybe eliminate them instead.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4340 on: March 02, 2016, 01:46:48 PM »

There's another project in the very initial stages that will be similar if not bigger than all those in that area.   :peek:

good news on both projects.  i'm interested to see if this gentrification era in KC is a passing fad or if people/businesses will actually leave joco.
population and job forecasts say that KC will struggle to grow on either front.   given those studies, until KCMO fixes their schools, living in KCMO will continue to be a short term gap between getting out of college and starting a family.

apartments are great for the short term but a transient population will hold the area back.  to succeed long-term, KCMO proper needs people who have ownership in the area in which they live.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4341 on: March 02, 2016, 01:48:12 PM »
That's real talk
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: March 02, 2016, 01:54:49 PM »
Multifamily ownership is also being held back by developers not being able to get financing to build new ones.  That's partially why it's all apartments being announced...that and the huge short term demand for rentals right now from those who can't or don't want to own any longer (baby boomers, etc)

Crossroads Academy is expanding to a 2nd elementary as well as a new high school... and is the best rated charter in the state of Missouri... Still a long way from a great situation but improving with their entrance into downtown as well as KCSD getting back to full accreditation.

Downtown will always have a lot of transient residents but as an owner downtown I'd love to see more buildings with owners vs renters.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: March 02, 2016, 01:58:29 PM »

good news on both projects.  i'm interested to see if this gentrification era in KC is a passing fad or if people/businesses will actually leave joco.
population and job forecasts say that KC will struggle to grow on either front.   given those studies, until KCMO fixes their schools, living in KCMO will continue to be a short term gap between getting out of college and starting a family.

apartments are great for the short term but a transient population will hold the area back.  to succeed long-term, KCMO proper needs people who have ownership in the area in which they live.

I agree.  Schools are a big issue whether people will stay down there long term (ie Wacky)

And the project I'm talking about isn't apartments and should bring a good amount of jobs/development if it gets the green light.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: March 02, 2016, 01:59:58 PM »

I agree.  Schools are a big issue whether people will stay down there long term (ie Wacky)

And the project I'm talking about isn't apartments and should bring a good amount of jobs/development if it gets the green light.

is it a Hyatt?

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: March 02, 2016, 02:02:27 PM »

is it a Hyatt?

No.  Don't have all the details but it's very beginning stages to the point that they just recently decided KC over other possible locations.  Could still fall through but looks promising.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: March 02, 2016, 02:09:05 PM »
i think dub is talking about the oakland raiders

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4347 on: March 02, 2016, 04:18:58 PM »

all true.  school district is huge prob for KC, in general.  But, with respect to just the downtown core, I doubt a Midwestern city like KC will ever have a huge family demographic given the abundance of cheap real estate and highway access.  just seems like condo and apartment living isn't going to work for most families even if the public schools were excellent.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: March 02, 2016, 04:20:55 PM »
Do any cities really have a big family demographic?

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: March 02, 2016, 04:22:11 PM »
Downtown Topeka sucks, I can tell you that rusty
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite